Illinois 2014

fanjiatian
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Re: Illinois 2014

Post by fanjiatian »

@CrazyPunyMan
True that. I really don't see how disappointment suggests that you're not motivated by learning
I'm sure all of us can find instances where we felt sad about our shortcomings despite being passionate about something
Last edited by fanjiatian on April 13th, 2014, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tuftedtitmouse12
Been thanked: 0

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 »

Just to put in my thoughts.

MM and SAA were tied, yes? Since the tie was broken by 1st place medals (keep in mind this is the first time something like this has happened where a bid to nats was at stake) they were extremely close. I don't blame MM for crying. I think for anyone to be in their position, it would be frustrating too because they were extremely close.

About the Nats thing, I don't see why middle schoolers shouldn't be allowed to go to state: there's a lot of pressure yes, but sometimes pressure can motivate. As long as it's the students motivating themselves and not coaches or parents that are the driving force for performing well to get to Nats, I don't see the harm in the Nats level competition for Div B.
peter, peter, peter
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

A few things. I've seen recently on the forums a lot of outburst on topics of people being emotional, people finding outrage with competitions, and people having issues with tests (not only this issue). I do think it's important to address issues, I know I have tried to in the past or else just said things and who knows if someone noticed. I don't exactly know the point, I don't exactly know the debate, but if it comes down to people being upset I can sympathize very well. I've spent six years trying to work hard on the club here, and at the end of the day I never got to compete at nationals. I did put in blood, sweat, and tears (all true!) at various points throughout my work. At the end of the day, I did cry for the fact that we couldn't get to nats. But it was also after all the hard work. After all the dedication, it wasn't enough, and that can be heart breaking. I hope that's understood. But I also have cried at the end of the day because of my team being so great. The fact that we can be so dedicated and have so much fun and that THAT's "over". I think if someone wouldn't be upset about that, then I'd be surprised. When my coach started saying we did such a great job, THAT'S when I was really crying. The thing is, even in middle school I could imagine teams being dedicated. Time heals all wounds, I'll say that much. Making large debates over it isn't necessary, and that can be done over PM, really.

I've heard things about people being overconfident. I've heard it about other times, I've heard it about people, etc. It doesn't matter. At the end of the day, whatever happened happened. People put in their best. Feelings are appropriate, but I have at least tried to take the time to think carefully about what happened, and I've tried to learn from it. I think everyone should do that. Not just losing, winners too. There's always a lesson or two to learn. I think definitely middle school may as well be allowed. I enjoyed the opportunity personally, even if my team wasn't great.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
matthew101802
Division: B
State: IL

Post by matthew101802 »

tuftedtitmouse12 wrote:Just to put in my thoughts.

MM and SAA were tied, yes? Since the tie was broken by 1st place medals (keep in mind this is the first time something like this has happened where a bid to nats was at stake) they were extremely close. I don't blame MM for crying. I think for anyone to be in their position, it would be frustrating too because they were extremely close.

About the Nats thing, I don't see why middle schoolers shouldn't be allowed to go to state: there's a lot of pressure yes, but sometimes pressure can motivate. As long as it's the students motivating themselves and not coaches or parents that are the driving force for performing well to get to Nats, I don't see the harm in the Nats level competition for Div B.
Yes, we tied. I agree with you. I would have cried if I was in that position also. And middle schoolers should be allowed to go to Nats. The GeoBee is a Nats level, sand they give out 25k to the winner as well as broadcasting it on ABC. SO doesn't do that. Kids need to get more mature these days.
SO Events 2013 (JV)
Inv/R/S
Boom 3/1/-
Keep The Heat 1/1/-
Shock 1/3/-
Pentathlon -/-/2

SO Events 2014 (V)
Wright State/Lisle/R/S/N
WIDI 7/8/2/29/39
Robo 7/1/1/9/17
Shock 2/1/1/1/9
Simple 12/2/1/11/26

Kaboom!
Total Medal Count: 20
somexpdddw
Division: C

Post by somexpdddw »

Sorry if this is off topic, but what are we supposed to bring for the swap meet for Nationals?
matthew101802

Post by matthew101802 »

somexpdddw wrote:Sorry if this is off topic, but what are we supposed to bring for the swap meet for Nationals?
What's the swap meet?
SO Events 2013 (JV)
Inv/R/S
Boom 3/1/-
Keep The Heat 1/1/-
Shock 1/3/-
Pentathlon -/-/2

SO Events 2014 (V)
Wright State/Lisle/R/S/N
WIDI 7/8/2/29/39
Robo 7/1/1/9/17
Shock 2/1/1/1/9
Simple 12/2/1/11/26

Kaboom!
AJTheGreat1729

Post by AJTheGreat1729 »

somexpdddw wrote:Sorry if this is off topic, but what are we supposed to bring for the swap meet for Nationals?
Not off topic at all.
I'd love to know this as well; I'm looking forward to it. I think we should bring something to signify that we are SciOly members...
silverheart7 wrote: One of my favorite parts of Nationals last year was swap meet, because it was fun to meet so many people from different states. I'm proposing we all wear nametags with our scioly username, so we can all identify each other and get a chance to talk. Is anyone else up for this? Another idea would be writing it on the card with your name in the pouch if UCF does that, since I've only been to the Wright State tournament and I don't know what is normally given out.
2014 R/S/N
Entomology 2/3/x
Road Scholar 2/3/x
Experimental 5/8/x
Team 1/2/x

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
[witty comment][/witty comment]
matthew101802

Post by matthew101802 »

I'd bring a SciOly shirt if you have one, maybe memorabilia from a sports team here or from Springfield or Chicago, whichever's closer. Sports would be cool, like a hat or a pennant or something.
SO Events 2013 (JV)
Inv/R/S
Boom 3/1/-
Keep The Heat 1/1/-
Shock 1/3/-
Pentathlon -/-/2

SO Events 2014 (V)
Wright State/Lisle/R/S/N
WIDI 7/8/2/29/39
Robo 7/1/1/9/17
Shock 2/1/1/1/9
Simple 12/2/1/11/26

Kaboom!
XJcwolfyX

Post by XJcwolfyX »

Wow we gained a lot of new members recently. Welcome!

It seems a lot of you are from Science and Arts, so here's a basic rundown of what the swap meet is:

After the opening awards ceremony, everyone leaves the stadium and enters a new area (an area surrounding the stadium where they usually sell food at things like baseball games). Each school has their own little table set up with stuff their team brought, but most people walk around too. There are little items and toys everywhere, and you simply just walk up to someone and ask for a trade. There is a lot of bargaining going on!

As to what you should bring, literally anything. It doesn't have to represent Illinois (or any state) in any way. Of course, having items like these is always a plus and makes trading more fun (such as cheese hats from Wisconsin and License Plates from certain states). Almost any interesting item you have laying around you could probably trade. Make sure to bring them in a bag to hold them and to have a bag to hold items that you get.

All this junk does get a little annoying eventually in my opinion My solution that I think I'm going to try this year is to start with a small worthless item and trade it to see what is the most expensive item I can work my way up to by trading. I'm pretty sure this was in an episode of The Office. If it is your first time at Nationals, I wouldn't recommend this, as it might suck all the fun out of this experience.

Good luck and have fun.
Medal Counter: 73
thatgreenteam

Post by thatgreenteam »

XJcwolfyX wrote:Wow we gained a lot of new members recently. Welcome!

It seems a lot of you are from Science and Arts, so here's a basic rundown of what the swap meet is:

After the opening awards ceremony, everyone leaves the stadium and enters a new area (an area surrounding the stadium where they usually sell food at things like baseball games). Each school has their own little table set up with stuff their team brought, but most people walk around too. There are little items and toys everywhere, and you simply just walk up to someone and ask for a trade. There is a lot of bargaining going on!

As to what you should bring, literally anything. It doesn't have to represent Illinois (or any state) in any way. Of course, having items like these is always a plus and makes trading more fun (such as cheese hats from Wisconsin and License Plates from certain states). Almost any interesting item you have laying around you could probably trade. Make sure to bring them in a bag to hold them and to have a bag to hold items that you get.

All this junk does get a little annoying eventually in my opinion My solution that I think I'm going to try this year is to start with a small worthless item and trade it to see what is the most expensive item I can work my way up to by trading. I'm pretty sure this was in an episode of The Office. If it is your first time at Nationals, I wouldn't recommend this, as it might suck all the fun out of this experience.

Good luck and have fun.
Thanks for the advice!!!

Return to “2014 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”