Division: B
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Illinois 2014

Post by Le TARDIS »

matthew101802 wrote:
Crazy Puny Man wrote:
Le TARDIS wrote:The problem with some teams is that they "expected" to win and were then not gracious in the process at times.
I don't think you can make that claim if your only evidence is that they cried afterward. Just because they were disappointed does not necessarily mean they were expecting to qualify.

When I was in 8th grade and missed nationals by 1 point, I was very disappointed. I wasn't expecting to go, though, because my school had only gone to nationals 3 times in its history up to that point. Still, it didn't stop me from being bummed.
I agree. I don't think any team 'expected' to win, but they hoped to win. You can't blame MM for this, it was a tie for a bid to Nats.
I completely agree with you. I don't blame any school for their emotions that day. It was a very tough competition and every team that went there deserved to go and deserved the opportunity to try and earn their personal best. I apologize if anyone misinterpreted what I had commented earlier. The whole point is, SO is fun, its hard work, but it's rewarding and can open a lot of doors even at Middle School (those applying to selective enrollment High Schools). I have a lot of respect for the teams that were there, especially MM, DW, South,and Grayslake. Those kids did their best. Let's move on and applaud everyone for their efforts in SO.
Le TARDIS

Post by Le TARDIS »

thatgreenteam wrote:
Le TARDIS wrote:I don't think teams should go in there "expecting" to win. That's what will get you in trouble. But if you go in with the attitude that I'm doing this because I LOVE Science, and did my best, then you should be happy. The problem with some teams is that they always "expected" to win and were then not gracious in the process at times. SAA didn't expect to win, but wanted to earn their personal best. Same with Grayslake who had a fantastic showing! They earned that 4th place trophy!
completely agree with you, le TARDIS. last year when we got 1st at state the whole team from MM (who got 2nd) walked out. I understand their disappointment, but it was kinda rude to all of the other teams that didn't even qualify for nationals, not to mention DW itself. On another note, congrats to SAA for their first time at nationals, they worked very hard and they deserved it! also, grayslake, you guys were awesome. always smiling, great attitude, cheered the loudest, the coolest capes. of course they had to pick you guys for the spirit award!

good luck to all at nationals! :D
Is there anyone who doesn't think Grayslake should have won the spirit award?!? I love their attitudes, their capes, their outlook! Grayslake, you guys were awesome competitors! And Daniel Wright, you guys rock! So many times your coaches and kids were helpful to other teams, that is what its all about!
Le TARDIS

Post by Le TARDIS »

Does anyone know of any good summer programs that enhance science learning for kids who are in SO? IMSA is a great program but already filled, doesn't necessarily have to be in the state? I know some who are looking for a good summer program that's fun and educational.
matthew101802

Post by matthew101802 »

Le TARDIS wrote:Does anyone know of any good summer programs that enhance science learning for kids who are in SO? IMSA is a great program but already filled, doesn't necessarily have to be in the state? I know some who are looking for a good summer program that's fun and educational.
There was an Indiana one that shut down last year that I went to, it was super fun. I think the owner of the Indiana SO camp created a new one, I'll try to find it in the next few days.
SO Events 2013 (JV)
Inv/R/S
Boom 3/1/-
Keep The Heat 1/1/-
Shock 1/3/-
Pentathlon -/-/2

SO Events 2014 (V)
Wright State/Lisle/R/S/N
WIDI 7/8/2/29/39
Robo 7/1/1/9/17
Shock 2/1/1/1/9
Simple 12/2/1/11/26

Kaboom!
Total Medal Count: 20
NaCl

Post by NaCl »

matthew101802 wrote:
Le TARDIS wrote:Does anyone know of any good summer programs that enhance science learning for kids who are in SO? IMSA is a great program but already filled, doesn't necessarily have to be in the state? I know some who are looking for a good summer program that's fun and educational.
There was an Indiana one that shut down last year that I went to, it was super fun. I think the owner of the Indiana SO camp created a new one, I'll try to find it in the next few days.

Someone once mentioned one in North Carolina, anyone know about that? That would be cool to go to! Doesn't North Carolina host some pretty good teams? And Ohio, I wonder if like Magsig or Solon hosts something.
NaCl

Post by NaCl »

Congratulations to all the teams going to Nationals and those that medaled at state. Way to go! Isn't science olympiad the best? :lol:
NaCl

Post by NaCl »

Le TARDIS wrote:
Skink wrote:When I said 'step aside', I didn't mean they'd get second and opt not to go. I meant they wouldn't qualify. And my prediction was almost wrong but right, nevertheless! Congrats to S&A, though MM is in about the roughest position possible.
They're not in the roughest position possible...they've had wonderful opportunities for the past several years. It's nice that other schools who work just as hard are rewarded for their efforts. Wouldn't it be great if several schools had the opportunities to attend Nationals the way MM has for all those years?
totally agree. everyone given the same tests. everyone got the same chance. south went a couple of times. think thomas middle school went in the 90's according to a teacher. i didn't know grayslake went. i know we would like to go! why should it always be the same teams going? hey, good luck at nationals to the guys who are going! bring me back a t-shirt.
Crazy Puny Man
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

NaCl wrote:
Le TARDIS wrote:
Skink wrote:When I said 'step aside', I didn't mean they'd get second and opt not to go. I meant they wouldn't qualify. And my prediction was almost wrong but right, nevertheless! Congrats to S&A, though MM is in about the roughest position possible.
They're not in the roughest position possible...they've had wonderful opportunities for the past several years. It's nice that other schools who work just as hard are rewarded for their efforts. Wouldn't it be great if several schools had the opportunities to attend Nationals the way MM has for all those years?
totally agree. everyone given the same tests. everyone got the same chance. south went a couple of times. think thomas middle school went in the 90's according to a teacher. i didn't know grayslake went. i know we would like to go! why should it always be the same teams going? hey, good luck at nationals to the guys who are going! bring me back a t-shirt.
By "roughest position possible," he is only referring to this year's context, and is not talking about any prior history the schools may have.

In a sense, they are, having missed nationals on a lost tiebreaker, and even on the tiebreaker they lost by 1 gold medal. You can't really get much worse than that.
AJTheGreat1729
Division: C

Post by AJTheGreat1729 »

Crazy, when is your state competition?
(non sequitur)
2014 R/S/N
Entomology 2/3/x
Road Scholar 2/3/x
Experimental 5/8/x
Team 1/2/x

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
[witty comment][/witty comment]
mk3966
Division: C
State: IN

Post by mk3966 »

AJTheGreat1729 wrote:Crazy, when is your state competition?
(non sequitur)
It was on March 22
Munster High School (IN) 8-)
National Medals:
Entomology: 4th (2014), 2nd (2015)
Designer Genes: 1st (2014)

Return to “2014 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”