Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Illinois 2014

Post by Skink »

For the average team, it is generally inadvisable to include a tryout that demarcates the Varsity team from any other(s) too prematurely because that does not give some participants a chance (so, I'd hope most teams aren't doing it!). That said, of course, at some point, irrespective of program size, it's got to be narrowed down. Invitational results are nice, but in-house assessments, which can be treated as running tryouts, are better yet. I don't have data on how many teams actually take data, though, versus how many, say, stack the team with older participants, those with seniority, or other like factors.

Anyway, best to all teams competing on Saturday. I'd be there were it not for the fact that my State tournament is the same day. B division results should be interesting because Marie Murphy may be stepping aside this season.
tuftedtitmouse12
Division: Grad
Been thanked: 0

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 »

Good luck to everyone at States this year! I think a few things have shifted around in IL, so it'll be interesting to see how everything turns out.
peter, peter, peter
nomynameisnotkevin

Post by nomynameisnotkevin »

Cheesy Pie wrote:Apparently, Naperville North did not have tryouts. They had INTERVIEWS. INTERVIEWS. So I think they're going to be scrubs this year.
I heard they tied IMSA at regionals, so I guess if that's your definition of scrubs lol.
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

nomynameisnotkevin wrote:
Cheesy Pie wrote:Apparently, Naperville North did not have tryouts. They had INTERVIEWS. INTERVIEWS. So I think they're going to be scrubs this year.
I heard they tied IMSA at regionals, so I guess if that's your definition of scrubs lol.
Anything less than 23 score is scrubbbb, man. Haha
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
chia

Post by chia »

Yeah, the switch to interviews from tryouts is definitely pretty unprecedented, but (I guess as a freshman you wouldn't know this, Cheesy) unless they've all acquired senioritis or quit, which I doubt, Naperville North has some very strong seniors this year, and in the last few years they've definitely been getting stronger as a team, so I'd still watch out. And I know you guys have been working hard too, so North vs Central is actually more of a rivalry now than it was, say, three years ago.

Also, good luck at states next weekend, everyone! :) Wish I could be there!
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>
qwertyuiop1234567890

Post by qwertyuiop1234567890 »

Skink wrote:For the average team, it is generally inadvisable to include a tryout that demarcates the Varsity team from any other(s) too prematurely because that does not give some participants a chance (so, I'd hope most teams aren't doing it!). That said, of course, at some point, irrespective of program size, it's got to be narrowed down. Invitational results are nice, but in-house assessments, which can be treated as running tryouts, are better yet. I don't have data on how many teams actually take data, though, versus how many, say, stack the team with older participants, those with seniority, or other like factors.

Anyway, best to all teams competing on Saturday. I'd be there were it not for the fact that my State tournament is the same day. B division results should be interesting because Marie Murphy may be stepping aside this season.
Wait, what? Why would Marie Murphy be stepping aside?!?! :o
tuftedtitmouse12

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 »

chia wrote:
Yeah, the switch to interviews from tryouts is definitely pretty unprecedented, but (I guess as a freshman you wouldn't know this, Cheesy) unless they've all acquired senioritis or quit, which I doubt, Naperville North has some very strong seniors this year, and in the last few years they've definitely been getting stronger as a team, so I'd still watch out. And I know you guys have been working hard too, so North vs Central is actually more of a rivalry now than it was, say, three years ago.

Also, good luck at states next weekend, everyone! :) Wish I could be there!
Err I think it's this weekend :P In fact, events I think have all just finished. Now to wait for the results...
peter, peter, peter
cifutielu

Post by cifutielu »

Anyone have the results for Division C?
Crazy Puny Man
State: IN

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

cifutielu wrote:Anyone have the results for Division C?
And point totals too, if you have them/remember! :)
XJcwolfyX

Post by XJcwolfyX »

1. New Trier
2. Stevenson
3. Lyons Township
4. Hinsdale Central
5. Naperville North
Medal Counter: 73