Texas 2014

Soren1129
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Texas 2014

Post by Soren1129 »

While I think competitors like myself would love to see their own tests back, I think I agree that it is probably better to not have them handed back for regionals/state. On the other hand, the fact that we got blank copies with answer keys was great because we were still able to review our mistakes and improve ourselves (I know this was especially important in my events). I'm happy that that also means that they're not going to be reusing the tests. My team went to a regional last year that reused tests from the year before that so we felt kind of guilty taking awards for some events when we'd already taken the exact same tests before. It gives some teams an unfair advantage. I feel like if regionals choose to reuse their tests then they ought to prevent the same school from attending two years in a row.
srsvball95
Division: Grad

Post by srsvball95 »

Huge congratulations to Beckendorff for becoming the new Division B NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! Way to represent Texas!!
Seven Lakes High School Class of 2014
Beckendorff Alumni
sofan
Division: B

Post by sofan »

Hey everyone,
First of all congrats to Beckendorff on the huge win!!! Good Job!
Ok, I'm not sure if you remember me but I was competing in Science Olympiad last year for West Briar. I transferred to another school this year and they are going to for a scioly team for next year. My science teacher was recruiting and I was so excited! Scioly is my life! He gave a brief description of what scioly is like and he made it sound like a game show. I'm wondering, last year as a 6th grader I didn't have the pressure of leading the team cuz well, I was only a 6th grader! But this year, it looks like I'm the only one with experience so I might have to lead. D:
So here's my question: what are some tips and things that we can do to at least be somewhat competitive? I'm not talking like first at state but at least make it to state. Thx for your help!
New school year! New scioly season! Another year to do something great!

2013 galveston regionals:
rotor: 3rd
pic: 2nd(Texas event)
overall:3rd
2013 state:
rotor:4th
overall: 12th :I
cupcakegirl

Post by cupcakegirl »

sofan wrote:Hey everyone,
Ok, I'm not sure if you remember me but I was competing in Science Olympiad last year for West Briar. I transferred to another school this year and they are going to for a scioly team for next year. My science teacher was recruiting and I was so excited! Scioly is my life! He gave a brief description of what scioly is like and he made it sound like a game show. I'm wondering, last year as a 6th grader I didn't have the pressure of leading the team cuz well, I was only a 6th grader! But this year, it looks like I'm the only one with experience so I might have to lead. D:
So here's my question: what are some tips and things that we can do to at least be somewhat competitive? I'm not talking like first at state but at least make it to state. Thx for your help!
I don't think there will ever be a perfect formula for a winning team, and I can't really speak to what is necessary to start a successful team since I joined an established, winning team, but I can say there are definitely some things you can do as a leader on a team. Whether it's leading by example and having younger kids look up to you, or giving motivational speeches after a particularly devastating loss, a student can truly change the course of a year. If you're starting a new program, the best thing you can probably do is get some talented, dedicated students. If you practice enough, any group of hard working students will find success in Science Olympiad as long as you have the right mindset and enough motivation. Getting an awesome coach is also useful, of course, and it's always good to attend as many Invitationals as possible, even if you lose. I wish you luck next year! :)
2013 Nationals Results: Water Quality-2nd, Food Science-6th, Crime Busters-13th, Team- 7th
2014 National Results: Water Quality- 7th, Can't Judge A Powder- 6th, Crime Busters- 4th, Heredity- 5th, Team- FIRST!!!
2015 Events: Forensics, Green Generation, Fossils
hpfananu

Post by hpfananu »

cupcakegirl wrote:
I don't think there will ever be a perfect formula for a winning team, and I can't really speak to what is necessary to start a successful team since I joined an established, winning team, but I can say there are definitely some things you can do as a leader on a team. Whether it's leading by example and having younger kids look up to you, or giving motivational speeches after a particularly devastating loss, a student can truly change the course of a year. If you're starting a new program, the best thing you can probably do is get some talented, dedicated students. If you practice enough, any group of hard working students will find success in Science Olympiad as long as you have the right mindset and enough motivation. Getting an awesome coach is also useful, of course, and it's always good to attend as many Invitationals as possible, even if you lose. I wish you luck next year! :)
Having come from two very established and winning teams to a school without an established team, I think the biggest thing you need to do is get a team motivated, as cupcakegirl said. At the really good schools, they have motivation, drive, and internal competition. You need to establish that and it's very difficult at first because SciOly will lose out compared to the more established activities. If you show them what they can get out of SciOly, you'll give them a reason to do it. You also need to point people in the right direction. A lot of people will be confused, but too afraid to reach out to you and ask for help. Give them some sort of guide (if you think you know the event well enough) or at least be available to talk it out with them. Good luck!
Materials Science|Water Quality|Disease Detectives
Sleep is for the Weak: SLHS SO 2012-2013
TAMS 2013-2014
sofan
Division: B

Post by sofan »

hpfananu wrote:
cupcakegirl wrote:
Having come from two very established and winning teams to a school without an established team, I think the biggest thing you need to do is get a team motivated, as cupcakegirl said. At the really good schools, they have motivation, drive, and internal competition. You need to establish that and it's very difficult at first because SciOly will lose out compared to the more established activities. If you show them what they can get out of SciOly, you'll give them a reason to do it. You also need to point people in the right direction. A lot of people will be confused, but too afraid to reach out to you and ask for help. Give them some sort of guide (if you think you know the event well enough) or at least be available to talk it out with them. Good luck!
thx for the tips! My teacher already found a group of students that are interested. Now that recruiting is done, we should be able to do well! good luck to you too!
New school year! New scioly season! Another year to do something great!

2013 galveston regionals:
rotor: 3rd
pic: 2nd(Texas event)
overall:3rd
2013 state:
rotor:4th
overall: 12th :I
og_trigga

Post by og_trigga »

Does anyone know the projected date for the Cy Falls invitational for next year?
Whoppers

Post by Whoppers »

og_trigga wrote:Does anyone know the projected date for the Cy Falls invitational for next year?
The invitational is scheduled for November 15, 2014.

Return to “2014 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”