Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Texas 2014

Post by harryk »

Full results are up: http://outreach.science.tamu.edu/scienceolympiad.php

Geez, Clements is strong. And the top three are so close, the only thing really separating them are the number of 10+ placings.
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time
GeoChamp96
Division: C

Post by GeoChamp96 »

I never seem to be able to predict these right... I have to hand it to Clements, though. I don't think many people thought they'd be hanging on to their State title this year with Seven Lakes on the prowl after last year.
Soren1129

Post by Soren1129 »

xtra_random wrote:To anybody who went to the UT regional how was the tournament.
Hey,
I was at the UT regionals. It was admirable that they were trying really hard to make it as close to nationals as possible with state events and the drop system added in. There were definitely some glitches, but hey, they had all the events and I think they'll improve with time. I can provide more details on pros/cons if you wish
chalker7
Division: Grad
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

Yes please, let us know what you think the pros and cons were for the tournament.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
Real_af

Post by Real_af »

Were there any regionals other than UT that actually had all the events?
GeoChamp96

Post by GeoChamp96 »

Real_af wrote:Were there any regionals other than UT that actually had all the events?
I don't think so. I can't find the events that were offered at the Katy Regional though.

On a side note, something seems to be off regarding the teams that made it to State through the UT Regional. Clements got 1st and 2nd place, St. Andrews got 3rd, and New Braunfels got 6th. What's the story behind Westwood and Hockaday not making it? Did they both opt out when they were offered the spot for the third school?
Soren1129

Post by Soren1129 »

Info about UT Regionals: (if anyone else went please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about any of this)
Pros:
Dusty Scroder (not sure how to spell his name) & the other coordinator (forgot his name) are really into science olympiad and were super determined to make sure it was a good tournament.
As far as the tests go, there was nothing than was jank (as in none were on the wrong subject or had something else wrong with them).
They had LASA kids helping out. I took this as a pro because LASA has an incredible science olympiad team. Although adults are often well intentioned, I feel like a lot don't know the ins and outs as well as competitors so it was beneficial to have actual students there helping.
The coordinators are really helpful. They sent out blank copies of all the tests and the answer keys. After requesting, they were willing to send us all of our scores for each event as well. (We didn't get our own copy of the test back though).
Anatomy & Physiology apparently had stuff from the nationals only section. (I count this as a pro b/c it helped out A&P kids that are going to nats but idk if most people will)

Cons:
Although nothing was jank, a lot of the tests were really easy. The only tests that weren't too easy were the ones that the LASA kids wrote.
For Storm the Castle, they didn't have proper projectiles so we lent the regional some of ours which we have yet to get back... (I think that had more to doing with the LASA kid that was helping run the event)
Chem Lab didn't have a lab & TPS only had one lab.
There seem to have been some grading issues, but this is unconfirmed.
They weren't the most timely people in the world, but it wasn't that bad.

Let me know if there's anything else I should comment on. I can ask for more details about specific events from my teammates if you'd like.

As far as having all the events goes, I don't know. GeoChamp96 mentioned the Katy regional. If you mean the one that was held at Beckendorff high school, then they definitely did not have all of the events.

As far as who made it from the UT regional, I believe Clements, St. Andrews, Westwood, and Hockaday were all given spots as they were all on the list at the same point in time. (We were surprised at four teams from our regional too). I'm not sure about Hockaday, but I can confirm that Westwood chose not to attend the state tournament.
GeoChamp96

Post by GeoChamp96 »

Soren1129 wrote:Info about UT Regionals: (if anyone else went please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about any of this)
Pros:
Dusty Scroder (not sure how to spell his name) & the other coordinator (forgot his name) are really into science olympiad and were super determined to make sure it was a good tournament.
As far as the tests go, there was nothing than was jank (as in none were on the wrong subject or had something else wrong with them).
They had LASA kids helping out. I took this as a pro because LASA has an incredible science olympiad team. Although adults are often well intentioned, I feel like a lot don't know the ins and outs as well as competitors so it was beneficial to have actual students there helping.
The coordinators are really helpful. They sent out blank copies of all the tests and the answer keys. After requesting, they were willing to send us all of our scores for each event as well. (We didn't get our own copy of the test back though).
Anatomy & Physiology apparently had stuff from the nationals only section. (I count this as a pro b/c it helped out A&P kids that are going to nats but idk if most people will)

Cons:
Although nothing was jank, a lot of the tests were really easy. The only tests that weren't too easy were the ones that the LASA kids wrote.
For Storm the Castle, they didn't have proper projectiles so we lent the regional some of ours which we have yet to get back... (I think that had more to doing with the LASA kid that was helping run the event)
Chem Lab didn't have a lab & TPS only had one lab.
There seem to have been some grading issues, but this is unconfirmed.
They weren't the most timely people in the world, but it wasn't that bad.

Let me know if there's anything else I should comment on. I can ask for more details about specific events from my teammates if you'd like.

As far as having all the events goes, I don't know. GeoChamp96 mentioned the Katy regional. If you mean the one that was held at Beckendorff high school, then they definitely did not have all of the events.

As far as who made it from the UT regional, I believe Clements, St. Andrews, Westwood, and Hockaday were all given spots as they were all on the list at the same point in time. (We were surprised at four teams from our regional too). I'm not sure about Hockaday, but I can confirm that Westwood chose not to attend the state tournament.
This is the second Regional I've heard of this season that hasn't given tests back (ours didn't either, even though we asked). Is this unusual?

Hm. I wonder why there were four teams... There may be even more next year if more teams come.
JustDroobles

Post by JustDroobles »

GeoChamp96 wrote:This is the second Regional I've heard of this season that hasn't given tests back (ours didn't either, even though we asked). Is this unusual?
I was never given back regional or state exams as a competitor, and to my knowledge none of the regional or state competitions I have supervised at have returned exams. There are a few complications - Some regional competitions like to reuse exams, exam questions, or exam formats over the years, and some supervisors bring their exam to multiple regional competitions. Releasing the exams would therefore forfeit the integrity of future competitions. The exams must be kept until the scores are finalized in case there are any inquiries which require referencing the exams. After the scores are finalized, it would be logistically difficult to sort out exams for all 46 events and send them out. If they did send them out, it opens the tournament to criticism of their grading methods, which would be nonconstructive since the final scores are unable to be changed and state invitations are already handed out.
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by Bazinga+ »

Does anyone know the winning helicopter time at states?
Innovation =/= success

Return to “2014 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”