Texas 2014

arami
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Texas 2014

Post by arami »

cupcakegirl wrote:Is the UT tournament going to be an Invitational or a Regional? Because it's listed on the state website as a regional...
It'll be a regional.
GeoChamp96
Division: C

Post by GeoChamp96 »

I don't see Greenhill on the Invitational list. Is it still happening?
ptkid

Post by ptkid »

Greenhill's Science Olympiad coach moved to a new school. I don't think it is still happening.
Seven Lakes High School '16
Previous National Champion in Green Generation and National Medalist in CJAP, Disease Detectives, Entomology, & Water Quality
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

Hey, any invitational coordinators out there? Or maybe any students that go to schools hosting invites?

I go to Cyfalls, and I've helped out with all the planning, prep, and work that goes into planning an invite for a few seasons now, I know it takes scheduling with the school an a ton of effort (we typically set our invitational date in mid-may), but if you notice we have 3 invitationals all relatively close by and all within the same week. In fact, Langham and Clements (which are about an hour and a half apart at most?) are on the same day. To be honest, it really doesn't benefit students much(unless you're into small contests and not much competition), and it doesn't help the new invites that are trying to grow and get more teams. Is there any possible way to move an invite around so we can all get more practice before regionals? It's probably too late for someone to take Greenhill's spot, but there's time in early Feburary that would probably be beneficial. I totally understand why this might not be possible, but I felt like I needed to point it out, and who knows, maybe it's something to consider more for next season than this one. Thanks for considering though :)
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
jlee7x2

Post by jlee7x2 »

Clements High School is planning on hosting an invitational this year!

By the way, Texas events have been released: http://outreach.science.tamu.edu/tso/20 ... elines.php
twistedladder

Post by twistedladder »

iwonder wrote:Hey, any invitational coordinators out there? Or maybe any students that go to schools hosting invites?

I go to Cyfalls, and I've helped out with all the planning, prep, and work that goes into planning an invite for a few seasons now, I know it takes scheduling with the school an a ton of effort (we typically set our invitational date in mid-may), but if you notice we have 3 invitationals all relatively close by and all within the same week. In fact, Langham and Clements (which are about an hour and a half apart at most?) are on the same day. To be honest, it really doesn't benefit students much(unless you're into small contests and not much competition), and it doesn't help the new invites that are trying to grow and get more teams. Is there any possible way to move an invite around so we can all get more practice before regionals? It's probably too late for someone to take Greenhill's spot, but there's time in early Feburary that would probably be beneficial. I totally understand why this might not be possible, but I felt like I needed to point it out, and who knows, maybe it's something to consider more for next season than this one. Thanks for considering though :)
I go to Clements. Our officers say they tried to book the building for the Greenhill date but were unable to because of SAT and ACT testing. We were forced to choose a date in January, and even now, we aren't sure if the invitational is going to be January 18 or January 11 because of a possible conflict with our district Rodeo. Apparently the building is open December 21, but that's after finals, so the officers were unsure if that date was suitable for an invitational.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

Who needs ACT tests? :P

Just kidding(mines next weekend), but thanks for trying! And welcome to the wonderful world of invitational planning :D
strawberrygirl

Post by strawberrygirl »

To any CyFalls people out there--would you possibly have any idea about when the schedule will be coming out?
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

Well, to clarify, I'm not actually an officer this year, but I'm still pretty involved in SO ;)

We're in the process of modifying the schedule to get some people off the wait list, but no promises. Basically, it should be soon, but I don't know how soon. I can say that we've tried to place related events in other time slots, as much as we could.

Now I've probably said to much, but that's my answer :D
heidi456

Post by heidi456 »

Does anyone know who (if any) will be attending the Hendrickson invitationals(Jan 11)?

Return to “2014 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”