jacobxc
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Texas 2014

Post by jacobxc »

henceagrin36 wrote:
blakinator8 wrote:Was Geologic Mapping offered at Husky / Hopper?
Yes it was.

For those of you who went to the Husky Invitational, what did you think of their different style of awarding medals...er...dog tags?
Your surprised about the dog tags what about the whole if your team has 2 or more really good teams and they have both placed in an event only the best team gets a medal.
Real atheletes run miles not yards
henceagrin36
Division: Grad

Post by henceagrin36 »

That's what I meant =__=" but I guess I wasn't too clear. The dog tags and the lanterns were actually pretty nice, in my opinion.

I understand how they wanted to continue interest in Science Olympiad in schools that don't usually place, but it's also unfair to the better schools that bring 2-3 teams to each invitational. They're promoting some schools, but at the same time, demoting others. I like the usual style of rankings, since not placing can encourage one to work harder and study more for the next competition.
I know some members of our teams were pretty dissatisfied, since they knew they would probably not be able to place, even though they deserved the placing because of all their efforts.
just wondering what other schools thought
The University of Texas at Austin
Longhorn Science Olympiad Alumni Association
William P. Clements High School Alumni

2014 Science Olympiad National Tournament
Rocks & Minerals - 1st Place
GeoLogic Mapping - 1st Place
Entomology - 2nd Place

"I love bridge"
"Rock on"
breadcleaner

Post by breadcleaner »

could see the dog tags/lanterns and maybe even the award format being suitable for a middle school contest, but this was a pretty poor call for division C. can't help but seeing the fifty cent dog tags and five dollar lanterns given just to save money, it's actually pretty disrespectful to the teams who paid their chunks of entry fees expecting chances for hardware not dogware. and the format... come on now, just killed the spirit of competition for science olympiad..

any more teams going to hendrickson??? There are only seven currently registered and my coach needs more competition to be convinced it's worth traveling to. :'(
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

breadcleaner wrote:could see the dog tags/lanterns and maybe even the award format being suitable for a middle school contest, but this was a pretty poor call for division C. The dog tags/lanterns were probably due to budget constraints so I'd feel guilty being harsh on that, but the format... come on now, just killed the spirit of competition for science olympiad..

any more teams going to hendrickson??? There are only seven currently registered and my coach needs more competition to be convinced it's worth traveling to. :'(
Hey, for a first time putting on a contest it was pretty good. I'm no sure it really killed the spirit to give those out, but it was different. I kinda liked the lanterns honestly.

Oh, and we're not going to Hendrickson.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
twistedladder

Post by twistedladder »

breadcleaner wrote:could see the dog tags/lanterns and maybe even the award format being suitable for a middle school contest, but this was a pretty poor call for division C. can't help but seeing the fifty cent dog tags and five dollar lanterns given just to save money, it's actually pretty disrespectful to the teams who paid their chunks of entry fees expecting chances for hardware not dogware. and the format... come on now, just killed the spirit of competition for science olympiad..

Clements will go to Hendrickson if more schools go.
jacobxc

Post by jacobxc »

iwonder wrote:
breadcleaner wrote:could see the dog tags/lanterns and maybe even the award format being suitable for a middle school contest, but this was a pretty poor call for division C. The dog tags/lanterns were probably due to budget constraints so I'd feel guilty being harsh on that, but the format... come on now, just killed the spirit of competition for science olympiad..

Hey, for a first time putting on a contest it was pretty good. I'm no sure it really killed the spirit to give those out, but it was different. I kinda liked the lanterns honestly.

Oh, and we're not going to Hendrickson.
Well technically it is not there first time to put on an invitational. It's there first high school one. And i think one of the main reasons for doing a cheap way of medals is because I heard there principle no longer allows them to ride and stay with their parents at state. They needed another way to get more money, so they held a high school invitational. But I still agree with both of you.
jlee7x2

Post by jlee7x2 »

My school is very interested in Hendrickson if more teams go. We're very leaning towards it.
merp.
renxinhe

Post by renxinhe »

jlee7x2 wrote:My school is very interested in Hendrickson if more teams go. We're very leaning towards it.
mine too
~JR
Soren1129

Post by Soren1129 »

Clements needs to stop trolling these.

On the real, Clements is going to try to go to Hendrickson if we can - we hope other teams will join in because competitions are only fun/worth going to when there are a ton of teams!
Also, I was super disappointed with the new awarding style and it seems like Hendrickson is following this new style. If anyone from Hendrickson sees this, can you please change it? If it helps, LASA and Seven Lakes aren't going so it's not like some super powerhouse will bring three teams that sweep everything. I think the rest of us are pretty evenly matched and will have a fun and fair competition, but it really is unfair to kids who aren't the top team of their school to not get medals at an invitational. I mean, these kids can't go to state because of the one team limitations, don't restrict them from placing at invitationals too.

Does anyone have any information about Langham Creek? They don't have much available on their website.

Does anyone have any contact with the UT regional coordinators? We're signed up to go to their regional, but so far there is no website and the contest is less than 4 months away. All we know is that they're offering "all the events" but we really don't know if that means 23 or 28 and what schedule they are following etc. We like to decide our regional teams pretty early on so we can prepare ahead of time but this is preventing us from doing so...
jacobxc

Post by jacobxc »

Just saw they messed up our score at hopper so Kingwood might have beaten cyfalls.

Return to “2014 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”