Slarik
Division: C
State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Maryland 2014

Post by Slarik »

Discussion for Maryland 2014.

Also - just curious - anybody wish they didn't have to get up so early when school started? Anybody wish all their classes were from places like EPGY, aphomeschoolers.com, or edX? Or maybe community college, Cedarbrook Academy, Chieftain Institute, or Shady Grove Academy? Anybody wish you could be on Pilgrimage Homeschool's team? Maybe you should be homeschooled this year! :P
Exothermic reactions? I studied them before they were cool.
Mathdino
State: NV

Re: Maryland 2014

Post by Mathdino »

Go Maryland! Glad you started the thread (also you may want to organise the post a bit; competition dates, invitationals, etc).

Also I like how this is the Maryland thread and you forget CTY from Johns Hopkins, while including EPGY :P .
"If, in other sciences, we are to arrive at certainty without doubt, and truth without error, it behooves us to place the foundations of knowledge in mathematics."
-Roger Bacon, The Opus Major of Roger Bacon
Slarik

Post by Slarik »

Mathdino wrote:Go Maryland! Glad you started the thread (also you may want to organise the post a bit; competition dates, invitationals, etc).
Central MD Regionals is March 1st, and States is Apr 12th, last I checked. I'd rather everybody look at the source, though, instead of relying on me: marylandscienceolympiad.org
Also I like how this is the Maryland thread and you forget CTY from Johns Hopkins, while including EPGY :P .
It wasn't an exhaustive list :) My point was just that there are so many online and physical course providers, it's easy to make sure every subject you want to learn is taught by an amazing teacher or self-studied with incredible resources, and it doesn't have to cost much. Why would you want to take a bus to public school when you can "go" to Yale, Berkeley, or any other college from your bedroom? And you can even join Pilgrimage :)
Exothermic reactions? I studied them before they were cool.
Hosj

Post by Hosj »

Slarik wrote:Discussion for Maryland 2014.

Also - just curious - anybody wish they didn't have to get up so early when school started? Anybody wish all their classes were from places like EPGY, aphomeschoolers.com, or edX? Or maybe community college, Cedarbrook Academy, Chieftain Institute, or Shady Grove Academy? Anybody wish you could be on Pilgrimage Homeschool's team? Maybe you should be homeschooled this year! :P

Never! Never! Standardized beauracracy forever!
Nationals 2013: Meteorology 2nd, Water Quality 7th, Dynamic Planet 28th, Helicopters 41st
Nationals 2014:Hydrogeology 8th, Game On 25th
knittingfrenzy18
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: B

Post by knittingfrenzy18 »

Oooh oooh wait hi Mathdino I'm from AoPS too MG94 was so messed up

Wait Mathdino what are you doing here you're from Nevada

Hosj, you knooow Slarik's argument is convincing. :D
Pilgrimage Homeschool Division B, Maryland
Visited 2012 and 2014 National Tournaments, 5th place Sounds of Music 2014
http://knittingfrenzy18.wordpress.com
Mathdino
State: NV

Post by Mathdino »

knittingfrenzy18 wrote:Oooh oooh wait hi Mathdino I'm from AoPS too MG94 was so messed up

Oh yeah, I saw your edits on the wiki once but forgot to say hi. MG94, best game ever, definitely.
And no, I'm from Maryland, but unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) I go to school in the least competitive state ever. Excepting my own team, I'm rooting for the best state ever.
"If, in other sciences, we are to arrive at certainty without doubt, and truth without error, it behooves us to place the foundations of knowledge in mathematics."
-Roger Bacon, The Opus Major of Roger Bacon
Hosj

Post by Hosj »

Mathdino wrote:
knittingfrenzy18 wrote:Oooh oooh wait hi Mathdino I'm from AoPS too MG94 was so messed up

Oh yeah, I saw your edits on the wiki once but forgot to say hi. MG94, best game ever, definitely.
And no, I'm from Maryland, but unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) I go to school in the least competitive state ever. Excepting my own team, I'm rooting for the best state ever.
Cool! Out of state attention! Maryland is moving up, folks!
Nationals 2013: Meteorology 2nd, Water Quality 7th, Dynamic Planet 28th, Helicopters 41st
Hosj

Post by Hosj »

Anyone gone to any invitationals?
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: VA

Post by fishman100 »

There were 2 Walter Johnson teams at the Fairfax Invite yesterday (and a team from NC too)!
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15
katie_b_me
Division: B

Post by katie_b_me »

MD state finals moved up like 2 weeks to march 29th
2013 Events: Heredity, Food Science, Mousetrap Vehicle: 1st in MD!
2014 Events: Solar Systems, Road Scholar, Wheeled Vehicle, Write it Do it: 1st in the county!
Competitive Nerd and Varsity Cheer Captain!

Return to “2014 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”