Maryland 2014

User avatar
asthedeer
Member
Member
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:04 pm
Division: C
State: MD
Location: On Earth.
Contact:

Re: Maryland 2014

Postby asthedeer » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:06 pm

I second this statement! Congrats to NBMS and UMS! :D :D

knittingfrenzy18 wrote:Great congratulations to NBMS and UMS! You guys are worthy competitors!
Pilgrimage Homeschool Science Olympiad 2017!!!
Anatomy, ExD, Rocks and Minerals, Helicopters.

Check out my blog!
rockandminerals4him.wordpress.com

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
~God, Jeremiah 29:11

User avatar
knittingfrenzy18
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:25 pm
Division: B
State: MD
Location: Somewhere in the world.
Contact:

Re: Maryland 2014

Postby knittingfrenzy18 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:57 pm

More complete lists are available at Pilgrimage Homeschool Wiki.
Pilgrimage Homeschool Division B, Maryland
Visited 2012 and 2014 National Tournaments, 5th place Sounds of Music 2014
http://knittingfrenzy18.wordpress.com

Sciwizkid
Member
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:58 pm
Division: B
State: OH
Contact:

Re: Maryland 2014

Postby Sciwizkid » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:34 pm

cum porcis fuge


Hosj wrote:
Slarik wrote:
Hosj wrote:Congrats Pilgrimage! You guys won an unreal number of events...

I second this for the div b team. Nice job!

Congrats to WJ too! I was hoping you'd get a chance to attend Nationals, 'cause I know a couple people from WJ who wanted to go. :D



I'm really curious as to how Pilgrimage B studied. It's hard to believe a team could win by 50 points. Maybe Maryland is a state with national ambitions.

Maybe in a few years, Pilgramage will be the new Solon and Maryland will be the new Ohio.

Hosj
Member
Member
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:20 am
Division: C
State: MD
Location: Ms. Lofeetweek's Room, Bethesda Maryland
Contact:

Re: Maryland 2014

Postby Hosj » Mon May 19, 2014 1:19 am

knittingfrenzy18 wrote:More complete lists are available at Pilgrimage Homeschool Wiki.

That needs updating!!!



Congrats Pilgramage for that incredible placement!!! Our team had a lot of issues this year which explains the fairly unremarkable scores we had.
Nationals 2013: Meteorology 2nd, Water Quality 7th, Dynamic Planet 28th, Helicopters 41st
Nationals 2014:Hydrogeology 8th, Game On 25th

Azismith
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:14 pm
Division: C
State: MD
Contact:

Re: Maryland 2014

Postby Azismith » Mon May 19, 2014 2:23 pm

Thanks Hosj! We were hoping for a 9th or 10th placement as a team, but things didn't go nearly as smoothly as anticipated. :( We still had an awesome outcome, though! :)

User avatar
knittingfrenzy18
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:25 pm
Division: B
State: MD
Location: Somewhere in the world.
Contact:

Re: Maryland 2014

Postby knittingfrenzy18 » Mon May 19, 2014 4:09 pm

lel I can't stop laughing at how good Azismith is :P

Some Division B Maryland stats:
  • 19th place team
  • Three medals: 6th place Crime Busters, 4th place Shock Value, 5th place Sounds of Music
  • Three more single-digit places: 7th Disease Detectives, 9th place Experimental Design, 9th place Meterology
  • There were six single-digit finishes by Pilgrimage Homeschool. These corresponded to each of Azismith's six events *clapclapclap*
  • There were 5 more top 20 finishes: 17th place CJAP, 17th place Dynamic Planet, 18th place Simple Machines, 19th place Entomology, 20th place Wheeled Vehicle
  • For a member who helped us win States but couldn't make it to Nationals, there were pinch hitters on four events: Anatomy (N.F.), Heredity (knittingfrenzy18), Solar System (TJ. N.), and WIDI (J.P.). *clapclapclap*
  • Pilgrimage was able to beat a bunch of teams who medaled, in some cases, twice as much as them, including Longfellow MS from VA and Riverwood MS from TX.
  • Pilgrimage was the highest-placing homeschool team out of the three obvious homeschool teams (more?)
  • Pilgrimage competed with only 12 team members, two of which were pinch hitters who did not compete at States, each doing only one event.
  • At the National competition, Pilgrimage had three 9th graders, four 8th graders, four 7th graders, and one 6th grader.
  • There were 5 guys and 7 girls.
  • Okay I'm starting to get too random here. :/ I like random statistics like this.

Kudos and good luck to our graduating 9th graders, including Azismith, S.W., TJ. N., and jdawg495.

(bah Azismith I keep trying to type Azimuth)
Pilgrimage Homeschool Division B, Maryland
Visited 2012 and 2014 National Tournaments, 5th place Sounds of Music 2014
http://knittingfrenzy18.wordpress.com

Hosj
Member
Member
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:20 am
Division: C
State: MD
Location: Ms. Lofeetweek's Room, Bethesda Maryland
Contact:

Re: Maryland 2014

Postby Hosj » Mon May 19, 2014 7:00 pm

Azismith wrote:Thanks Hosj! We were hoping for a 9th or 10th placement as a team, but things didn't go nearly as smoothly as anticipated. :( We still had an awesome outcome, though! :)


I'm just curious, how much time do you spend on SO? The fact that you guys did so well with 11 people is ridicoulous. How was NB able to beat you last year? What did you guys do different? If it was NB 2013 vs Pilgramage 2014 I imagine Pilgramage would steamroll....

And BTW, Azismith, were you the person I talked to before Meteorology? Congrats! You did really well in everything.
Nationals 2013: Meteorology 2nd, Water Quality 7th, Dynamic Planet 28th, Helicopters 41st
Nationals 2014:Hydrogeology 8th, Game On 25th

Azismith
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:14 pm
Division: C
State: MD
Contact:

Re: Maryland 2014

Postby Azismith » Mon May 19, 2014 10:23 pm

Hosj wrote:
Azismith wrote:Thanks Hosj! We were hoping for a 9th or 10th placement as a team, but things didn't go nearly as smoothly as anticipated. :( We still had an awesome outcome, though! :)


I'm just curious, how much time do you spend on SO? The fact that you guys did so well with 11 people is ridicoulous. How was NB able to beat you last year? What did you guys do different? If it was NB 2013 vs Pilgramage 2014 I imagine Pilgramage would steamroll....

And BTW, Azismith, were you the person I talked to before Meteorology? Congrats! You did really well in everything.


Hmm...well, that depends on the person. For me, it's not terribly much time, but the time I do spend is fairly focused. I'd say I spent ~1-2 hrs/day studying outside of team meetings on average until AP season rolled around; during that time, my SO time dropped to virtually nothing. My partners will tell you that I was working up until competition time after my APs were done, though--we even did a practice Ex.D. during the opening ceremonies 'cause we weren't ready.

Yes, I was the person you were talking to. Thanks!

Azismith
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:14 pm
Division: C
State: MD
Contact:

Re: Maryland 2014

Postby Azismith » Mon May 19, 2014 10:31 pm

knittingfrenzy18 wrote:lel I can't stop laughing at how good Azismith is :P

Some Division B Maryland stats:
  • 19th place team
  • Three medals: 6th place Crime Busters, 4th place Shock Value, 5th place Sounds of Music
  • Three more single-digit places: 7th Disease Detectives, 9th place Experimental Design, 9th place Meterology
  • There were six single-digit finishes by Pilgrimage Homeschool. These corresponded to each of Azismith's six events *clapclapclap*
  • There were 5 more top 20 finishes: 17th place CJAP, 17th place Dynamic Planet, 18th place Simple Machines, 19th place Entomology, 20th place Wheeled Vehicle
  • For a member who helped us win States but couldn't make it to Nationals, there were pinch hitters on four events: Anatomy (N.F.), Heredity (knittingfrenzy18), Solar System (TJ. N.), and WIDI (J.P.). *clapclapclap*
  • Pilgrimage was able to beat a bunch of teams who medaled, in some cases, twice as much as them, including Longfellow MS from VA and Riverwood MS from TX.
  • Pilgrimage was the highest-placing homeschool team out of the three obvious homeschool teams (more?)
  • Pilgrimage competed with only 12 team members, two of which were pinch hitters who did not compete at States, each doing only one event.
  • At the National competition, Pilgrimage had three 9th graders, four 8th graders, four 7th graders, and one 6th grader.
  • There were 5 guys and 7 girls.
  • Okay I'm starting to get too random here. :/ I like random statistics like this.

Kudos and good luck to our graduating 9th graders, including Azismith, S.W., TJ. N., and jdawg495.

(bah Azismith I keep trying to type Azimuth)


It was a team effort all the way! (knitting, try typing 'azismith & bearasmith') :)

Congrats Walter Johnson for making it to Nationals and good job on Astronomy! C division is so much harder than B...I'll be playing in a whole different league next year! :) Awesome job!

User avatar
Voltage
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:52 pm
Division: B
State: MD
Contact:

Re: Maryland 2014

Postby Voltage » Mon May 19, 2014 10:37 pm

Hosj wrote:
Azismith wrote:Thanks Hosj! We were hoping for a 9th or 10th placement as a team, but things didn't go nearly as smoothly as anticipated. :( We still had an awesome outcome, though! :)


I'm just curious, how much time do you spend on SO? The fact that you guys did so well with 11 people is ridicoulous. How was NB able to beat you last year? What did you guys do different? If it was NB 2013 vs Pilgramage 2014 I imagine Pilgramage would steamroll....

And BTW, Azismith, were you the person I talked to before Meteorology? Congrats! You did really well in everything.


What we did different? I studied just as hard this year as I did last year. It must have been some of our newer additions...
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin and Hobbes, Bill Watterson

I got my quote from a comic book. Tells you a lot about me, doesn't it?

Azismith
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:14 pm
Division: C
State: MD
Contact:

Re: Maryland 2014

Postby Azismith » Mon May 19, 2014 10:45 pm

Voltage wrote:
Hosj wrote:
I'm just curious, how much time do you spend on SO? The fact that you guys did so well with 11 people is ridicoulous. How was NB able to beat you last year? What did you guys do different? If it was NB 2013 vs Pilgramage 2014 I imagine Pilgramage would steamroll....

And BTW, Azismith, were you the person I talked to before Meteorology? Congrats! You did really well in everything.


What we did different? I studied just as hard this year as I did last year. It must have been some of our newer additions...


Plus the fact that we're all a year older and more experienced! (I can't help but say this: Voltage was the main reason for the medal on Shock Value...she's awesome! :) )

Hosj
Member
Member
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:20 am
Division: C
State: MD
Location: Ms. Lofeetweek's Room, Bethesda Maryland
Contact:

Re: Maryland 2014

Postby Hosj » Mon May 19, 2014 11:13 pm

Voltage wrote:
Hosj wrote:
Azismith wrote:
I'm just curious, how much time do you spend on SO? The fact that you guys did so well with 11 people is ridicoulous. How was NB able to beat you last year? What did you guys do different? If it was NB 2013 vs Pilgramage 2014 I imagine Pilgramage would steamroll....

And BTW, Azismith, were you the person I talked to before Meteorology? Congrats! You did really well in everything.


What we did different? I studied just as hard this year as I did last year. It must have been some of our newer additions...


Whatever it was, you went from below 32nd at nationals to 19th. That's impressive.

Though if you look at the pattern, NB will probably win next year!
Nationals 2013: Meteorology 2nd, Water Quality 7th, Dynamic Planet 28th, Helicopters 41st
Nationals 2014:Hydrogeology 8th, Game On 25th


Return to “2014 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests