Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: B
State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Maryland 2014

Post by knittingfrenzy18 »

Yeah, I was really surprised at how much we won. For example, I thought we couldn't do better than 2nd on CJAP (Urbana too OP at chem), and before day of, I was skeptical about WIDI (though after my partner talked about it afterwards I was 1st-2nd place confident). The one I really shouldn't have won though, was Metric Mastery. :o I just saw the overall scores tonight, and I was beyond amazed at how well we did. Team effort :)

As to becoming Solon, no way on earth. We do lose a couple of big hitters next year, and so far, it's looking hard to find new recruits. Thanks for the compliment, though :P
Pilgrimage Homeschool Division B, Maryland
Visited 2012 and 2014 National Tournaments, 5th place Sounds of Music 2014
http://knittingfrenzy18.wordpress.com
CHS_TaylorSwift
Division: C

Post by CHS_TaylorSwift »

Good job, Walter Johnson!
splandifers

Post by splandifers »

Real close one in Div C this year too, updated scores show that WJ actually tied with Centennial in the AA division:

http://marylandscienceolympiad.org/imag ... _2014b.pdf

Not sure how the tiebreaker worked though - I think they combined A and AA placements to make an overall score or something like that.

Meanwhile, us here at RHHS shamefully take 3rd with our 22nd place scrambler... LOL
Azismith

Post by Azismith »

splandifers wrote:Real close one in Div C this year too, updated scores show that WJ actually tied with Centennial in the AA division:

Not sure how the tiebreaker worked though - I think they combined A and AA placements to make an overall score or something like that.

Meanwhile, us here at RHHS shamefully take 3rd with our 22nd place scrambler... LOL
Wow!! That's insanely close!

Just wondering...what happened on scrambler??
Azismith

Post by Azismith »

Voltage wrote:First question: Pilgrimage Homeschool (knittingfrenzy18's and my team) got first for Division B.
Me too!! :) (and bearasmith, asthedeer...)
Voltage
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: B

Post by Voltage »

Azismith wrote:
Voltage wrote:First question: Pilgrimage Homeschool (knittingfrenzy18's and my team) got first for Division B.
True. :) I didn't want to go through the whole list, so I just included myself and the person to whom Crazy Puny Man asked the question, knittingfrenzy18.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin and Hobbes, Bill Watterson

I got my quote from a comic book. Tells you a lot about me, doesn't it?
Azismith

Post by Azismith »

Voltage wrote:
Azismith wrote:
True. :) I didn't want to go through the whole list, so I just included myself and the person to whom Crazy Puny Man asked the question, knittingfrenzy18.
Ha Ha...it's ok, I understand. I figured that that was what you were doing. :)
splandifers

Post by splandifers »

Azismith wrote:
splandifers wrote:Real close one in Div C this year too, updated scores show that WJ actually tied with Centennial in the AA division:

Wow!! That's insanely close!

Just wondering...what happened on scrambler??
Engineering guys built it the night before... Had a failed run because one of the rubberbands got caught and then we didn't set it up correctly the 2nd run so it went off the track and past the 9.2m barrier... RIP scrambler

TBH.. We also had a pretty decent shot at nationals, but engineering built everything the night before - Mission, Scrambler, Bungee, Maglev, Glider, Compound etc.

Maglev got 8th without even an actual Maglev - they just took the written test
Compound should've done much better.. they got 1st at Tiger (idk what we got at regionals but we used 2 substitutes for regionals) but what I heard was they forgot to put a weight on and got Tier 2'd..
Mission did meh.. I dont think they were even expecting it to work but it kind of did
Scrambler was scrambler..
Glider did well actually, I think we got 2nd.

I don't know much about the whole engi situation - we only had 3 engineers on our team, the only engi thing I was involved with was Boomilever. I didn't do as well in my events as I did at regionals, so I guess I can't really put the blame on engineering

I think we could've done much better than we did, but there's always next year!
Slarik

Post by Slarik »

Hosj wrote: I'm really curious as to how Pilgrimage B studied. It's hard to believe a team could win by 50 points. Maybe Maryland is a state with national ambitions.

Maybe in a few years, Pilgramage will be the new Solon and Maryland will be the new Ohio.
Let's see... Monday was a ice cream party and today was an team ice skate meet.... Not going to beat Solon studying this way :P but it sure is fun.

I don't see any secrets to how they studied, except that they studied a LOT. (biweekly team meetings and individual meetings outside of that) They also happen to be some brilliant middle schoolers.
Exothermic reactions? I studied them before they were cool.
asthedeer

Post by asthedeer »

I honestly was REALLY surprised that we palced 1st in CJAP and R&M. In R&M i'm pretty positive that we got at least 5 questions wrong and 1 blank.
Pilgrimage Homeschool Science Olympiad 2017!!!
Anatomy, ExD, Rocks and Minerals, Helicopters.

Check out my blog!
rockandminerals4him.wordpress.com

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
~God, Jeremiah 29:11

Return to “2014 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”