Maryland 2014

User avatar
Voltage
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 14
Joined: November 7th, 2013, 9:52 am
Division: B
State: MD
Contact:

Re: Maryland 2014

Postby Voltage » March 30th, 2014, 4:23 pm

First question: Pilgrimage Homeschool (knittingfrenzy18's and my team) got first for Division B. So, yeah.

Second question: Walter Johnson got first for Division C.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin and Hobbes, Bill Watterson

I got my quote from a comic book. Tells you a lot about me, doesn't it?

Crazy Puny Man
Member
Member
Posts: 265
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 6:25 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Contact:

Re: Maryland 2014

Postby Crazy Puny Man » March 30th, 2014, 4:53 pm

Voltage wrote:First question: Pilgrimage Homeschool (knittingfrenzy18's and my team) got first for Division B. So, yeah.

Second question: Walter Johnson got first for Division C.


So Walter Johnson swipes the title from Centennial...

And congratulations, you two!

Hosj
Member
Member
Posts: 84
Joined: February 19th, 2012, 6:20 pm
Division: C
State: MD
Location: Ms. Lofeetweek's Room, Bethesda Maryland
Contact:

Re: Maryland 2014

Postby Hosj » March 31st, 2014, 3:25 am

Congrats Pilgramage! You guys won an unreal number of events...
Nationals 2013: Meteorology 2nd, Water Quality 7th, Dynamic Planet 28th, Helicopters 41st
Nationals 2014:Hydrogeology 8th, Game On 25th

Slarik
Member
Member
Posts: 68
Joined: December 28th, 2011, 12:14 pm
Division: C
State: MD
Location: In my AP Bio book, wishing I could go practice my trumpet
Contact:

Re: Maryland 2014

Postby Slarik » March 31st, 2014, 8:11 am

Hosj wrote:Congrats Pilgrimage! You guys won an unreal number of events...

I second this for the div b team. Nice job!

Congrats to WJ too! I was hoping you'd get a chance to attend Nationals, 'cause I know a couple people from WJ who wanted to go. :D
Exothermic reactions? I studied them before they were cool.

Hosj
Member
Member
Posts: 84
Joined: February 19th, 2012, 6:20 pm
Division: C
State: MD
Location: Ms. Lofeetweek's Room, Bethesda Maryland
Contact:

Re: Maryland 2014

Postby Hosj » March 31st, 2014, 5:13 pm

Slarik wrote:
Hosj wrote:Congrats Pilgrimage! You guys won an unreal number of events...

I second this for the div b team. Nice job!

Congrats to WJ too! I was hoping you'd get a chance to attend Nationals, 'cause I know a couple people from WJ who wanted to go. :D



I'm really curious as to how Pilgrimage B studied. It's hard to believe a team could win by 50 points. Maybe Maryland is a state with national ambitions.

Maybe in a few years, Pilgramage will be the new Solon and Maryland will be the new Ohio.
Nationals 2013: Meteorology 2nd, Water Quality 7th, Dynamic Planet 28th, Helicopters 41st
Nationals 2014:Hydrogeology 8th, Game On 25th

User avatar
knittingfrenzy18
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 142
Joined: April 3rd, 2012, 11:25 am
Division: B
State: MD
Location: Somewhere in the world.
Contact:

Re: Maryland 2014

Postby knittingfrenzy18 » March 31st, 2014, 8:00 pm

Yeah, I was really surprised at how much we won. For example, I thought we couldn't do better than 2nd on CJAP (Urbana too OP at chem), and before day of, I was skeptical about WIDI (though after my partner talked about it afterwards I was 1st-2nd place confident). The one I really shouldn't have won though, was Metric Mastery. :o I just saw the overall scores tonight, and I was beyond amazed at how well we did. Team effort :)

As to becoming Solon, no way on earth. We do lose a couple of big hitters next year, and so far, it's looking hard to find new recruits. Thanks for the compliment, though :P
Pilgrimage Homeschool Division B, Maryland
Visited 2012 and 2014 National Tournaments, 5th place Sounds of Music 2014
http://knittingfrenzy18.wordpress.com

CHS_TaylorSwift
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: February 11th, 2014, 10:44 am
Division: C
State: MD
Contact:

Re: Maryland 2014

Postby CHS_TaylorSwift » April 1st, 2014, 11:36 am

Good job, Walter Johnson!

splandifers
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: April 1st, 2014, 11:53 am
Division: C
State: MD
Contact:

Re: Maryland 2014

Postby splandifers » April 1st, 2014, 12:00 pm

Real close one in Div C this year too, updated scores show that WJ actually tied with Centennial in the AA division:

http://marylandscienceolympiad.org/imag ... _2014b.pdf

Not sure how the tiebreaker worked though - I think they combined A and AA placements to make an overall score or something like that.

Meanwhile, us here at RHHS shamefully take 3rd with our 22nd place scrambler... LOL

Azismith
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: October 2nd, 2012, 12:14 pm
Division: C
State: MD
Contact:

Re: Maryland 2014

Postby Azismith » April 2nd, 2014, 1:03 pm

splandifers wrote:Real close one in Div C this year too, updated scores show that WJ actually tied with Centennial in the AA division:

http://marylandscienceolympiad.org/imag ... _2014b.pdf

Not sure how the tiebreaker worked though - I think they combined A and AA placements to make an overall score or something like that.

Meanwhile, us here at RHHS shamefully take 3rd with our 22nd place scrambler... LOL


Wow!! That's insanely close!

Just wondering...what happened on scrambler??

Azismith
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: October 2nd, 2012, 12:14 pm
Division: C
State: MD
Contact:

Re: Maryland 2014

Postby Azismith » April 2nd, 2014, 1:07 pm

Voltage wrote:First question: Pilgrimage Homeschool (knittingfrenzy18's and my team) got first for Division B.


Me too!! :) (and bearasmith, asthedeer...)

User avatar
Voltage
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 14
Joined: November 7th, 2013, 9:52 am
Division: B
State: MD
Contact:

Re: Maryland 2014

Postby Voltage » April 2nd, 2014, 1:15 pm

Azismith wrote:
Voltage wrote:First question: Pilgrimage Homeschool (knittingfrenzy18's and my team) got first for Division B.


Me too!! :) (and bearasmith, asthedeer...)


True. :) I didn't want to go through the whole list, so I just included myself and the person to whom Crazy Puny Man asked the question, knittingfrenzy18.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin and Hobbes, Bill Watterson

I got my quote from a comic book. Tells you a lot about me, doesn't it?

Azismith
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: October 2nd, 2012, 12:14 pm
Division: C
State: MD
Contact:

Re: Maryland 2014

Postby Azismith » April 2nd, 2014, 1:32 pm

Voltage wrote:
Azismith wrote:
Voltage wrote:First question: Pilgrimage Homeschool (knittingfrenzy18's and my team) got first for Division B.


Me too!! :) (and bearasmith, asthedeer...)


True. :) I didn't want to go through the whole list, so I just included myself and the person to whom Crazy Puny Man asked the question, knittingfrenzy18.


Ha Ha...it's ok, I understand. I figured that that was what you were doing. :)

splandifers
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: April 1st, 2014, 11:53 am
Division: C
State: MD
Contact:

Re: Maryland 2014

Postby splandifers » April 2nd, 2014, 3:15 pm

Azismith wrote:
splandifers wrote:Real close one in Div C this year too, updated scores show that WJ actually tied with Centennial in the AA division:

http://marylandscienceolympiad.org/imag ... _2014b.pdf

Not sure how the tiebreaker worked though - I think they combined A and AA placements to make an overall score or something like that.

Meanwhile, us here at RHHS shamefully take 3rd with our 22nd place scrambler... LOL


Wow!! That's insanely close!

Just wondering...what happened on scrambler??


Engineering guys built it the night before... Had a failed run because one of the rubberbands got caught and then we didn't set it up correctly the 2nd run so it went off the track and past the 9.2m barrier... RIP scrambler

TBH.. We also had a pretty decent shot at nationals, but engineering built everything the night before - Mission, Scrambler, Bungee, Maglev, Glider, Compound etc.

Maglev got 8th without even an actual Maglev - they just took the written test
Compound should've done much better.. they got 1st at Tiger (idk what we got at regionals but we used 2 substitutes for regionals) but what I heard was they forgot to put a weight on and got Tier 2'd..
Mission did meh.. I dont think they were even expecting it to work but it kind of did
Scrambler was scrambler..
Glider did well actually, I think we got 2nd.

I don't know much about the whole engi situation - we only had 3 engineers on our team, the only engi thing I was involved with was Boomilever. I didn't do as well in my events as I did at regionals, so I guess I can't really put the blame on engineering

I think we could've done much better than we did, but there's always next year!

Slarik
Member
Member
Posts: 68
Joined: December 28th, 2011, 12:14 pm
Division: C
State: MD
Location: In my AP Bio book, wishing I could go practice my trumpet
Contact:

Re: Maryland 2014

Postby Slarik » April 2nd, 2014, 6:11 pm

Hosj wrote:I'm really curious as to how Pilgrimage B studied. It's hard to believe a team could win by 50 points. Maybe Maryland is a state with national ambitions.

Maybe in a few years, Pilgramage will be the new Solon and Maryland will be the new Ohio.


Let's see... Monday was a ice cream party and today was an team ice skate meet.... Not going to beat Solon studying this way :P but it sure is fun.

I don't see any secrets to how they studied, except that they studied a LOT. (biweekly team meetings and individual meetings outside of that) They also happen to be some brilliant middle schoolers.
Exothermic reactions? I studied them before they were cool.

User avatar
asthedeer
Member
Member
Posts: 56
Joined: November 5th, 2013, 6:04 am
Division: C
State: MD
Location: On Earth.
Contact:

Re: Maryland 2014

Postby asthedeer » April 2nd, 2014, 6:14 pm

I honestly was REALLY surprised that we palced 1st in CJAP and R&M. In R&M i'm pretty positive that we got at least 5 questions wrong and 1 blank.
Pilgrimage Homeschool Science Olympiad 2017!!!
Anatomy, ExD, Rocks and Minerals, Helicopters.

Check out my blog!
rockandminerals4him.wordpress.com

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
~God, Jeremiah 29:11


Return to “2014 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest