Ohio 2014

lovescience
Division: B
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ohio 2014

Post by lovescience »

Thank you for the explanation and acknowledgement of some of the unfortunate components of what took place with Helicopters. It really is appreciated.

I have a question I would like to understand, though I realize I should just let this go.

Why was a false ceiling not introduced when a change a venue was not possible? If it was being looked into being moved, the venue was clearly determined to not be good for Helicopters. False ceilings have been done in schools, why not in the field house when a change of venue could not be made?

Also, I think I heard times were being adjusted when a device became hung up, which was atypical of previous years, which could have been the cause of more arbitration. Again, if that was a decision that was being made, a better form of communication about the timing decision ahead of time would have been appreciated. Some schools that have are seasoned and have competed often in this venue, design their devices based on the conditions - i.e to get hung-up and still come down on its own with the longest time possible. If they don't adapt the device in some way, some look at launch points with one device, hedging their bets. Get one caught and get a long time and hope the other device has a decent flight time just to cover your bases. Sometimes you get unlucky and both get hung up. In the past, no big deal - two chances at a long time, but not yesterday. That meant two very low times in many cases. I imagine the schools were probably caught off guard when that exact situation occurred but they went from times of over four minutes to times of 50 seconds or so. I am sure that was surprising and not embraced. Especially if they were looking at a shot at Nationals.

I do not point this out to be difficult but rather to share that communication could have been given ahead of time about the timing change unless it was a last minute decision made that day. I do think you did the right thing throwing out the event when you met about the arbitration issues given the many factors involved.

That being said, it is easy to look back and point out all the places something could have been done differently. It is over. It is done. Kids will move on. The handful of affected teams will learn from this and take their lump and hopefully be better for it.

It sounds like the National Venue for this event is not good either based on the past threads. Maybe this experience will help that venue be adapted to be more appropriate. Although we missed that chance for this year, it would still be good for all the teams competing if that were to happen. It would be unfortunate if it does not. Live and learn and make it better next time. Nationals is the next time. Hopefully you can use this experience for good for that event.
chalker
Division: Grad

Post by chalker »

lovescience wrote: Why was a false ceiling not introduced when a change a venue was not possible? If it was being looked into being moved, the venue was clearly determined to not be good for Helicopters. False ceilings have been done in schools, why not in the field house when a change of venue could not be made?
Can you provide more details of this? I don't fully understand what it would look like, the costs involved, etc. etc.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
lovescience
Division: B

Post by lovescience »

chalker wrote:
lovescience wrote: Why was a false ceiling not introduced when a change a venue was not possible? If it was being looked into being moved, the venue was clearly determined to not be good for Helicopters. False ceilings have been done in schools, why not in the field house when a change of venue could not be made?
Can you provide more details of this? I don't fully understand what it would look like, the costs involved, etc. etc.
I can get more info on this. I know I have seen it done but think others on my team would know more about the specifics. I will get back to you soon on that.
curiouscrab
Division: C

Post by curiouscrab »

lovescience wrote:
chalker wrote:
I can get more info on this. I know I have seen it done but think others on my team would know more about the specifics. I will get back to you soon on that.
They don't have an infinite budget you know. But yeah, you ought to drop it. Helicopters is going bye bye now. I wonder what will replace it...maybe some sort of landing craft event or an airplane with propeller.
curiouscrab
States
*3rd WIDI
*4th Game On
*5th It's About Time
*7th Wright Stuff (darn breaking bands cost us 2nd) :(
Astroknight
State: TN

Post by Astroknight »

curiouscrab wrote:
lovescience wrote:
chalker wrote: Why was a false ceiling not introduced when a change a venue was not possible? If it was being looked into being moved, the venue was clearly determined to not be good for Helicopters. False ceilings have been done in schools, why not in the field house when a change of venue could not be made?

They don't have an infinite budget you know. But yeah, you ought to drop it. Helicopters is going bye bye now. I wonder what will replace it...maybe some sort of landing craft event or an airplane with propeller.
Elastic Launch Glider will replace Helicopters in B div. next year, and Wright Stuff will replace Elastic Launch Glider in C div.
TSA's pretty cool... i guess

2015 events:
Essays on Technology, Tech Bowl, Water Infrastructure, Website Design
curiouscrab

Post by curiouscrab »

MMeteorite1 wrote:Brecksville
Claggett
Daniel Wright
Wiley
Holy Angels
Immaculate Conception
Booth
Kenston
Magsig
Meads Mill
Memorial
Monticello
New Albany
Nordonia
Philo
Piedmont
Ridge
Rocky River
Roxboro
Shady side
Shore
South
Solon
Towers
Welsh Valley
West Liberty
Westlake
Wyoming. Are here

Sciolapedia wrote:Does anyone know the major powerhouses going to Solon?
I didn't realize Nordonia was considered a powerhouse team.
curiouscrab
States
*3rd WIDI
*4th Game On
*5th It's About Time
*7th Wright Stuff (darn breaking bands cost us 2nd) :(
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

meteorology125 wrote:Helicopters just became a trial event for States. This should not be allowed. All events should count equally. This should not be decided after the tournament has run.
This happens all the time in other states, the Ohio competition just happens to be good enough that it rarely happens. Georgia had 2 events canceled this year (although I give credit to the director for being able to say that the proctor was in Australia with a straight face).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

Unome wrote:
meteorology125 wrote:Helicopters just became a trial event for States. This should not be allowed. All events should count equally. This should not be decided after the tournament has run.
This happens all the time in other states, the Ohio competition just happens to be good enough that it rarely happens. Georgia had 2 events canceled this year (although I give credit to the director for being able to say that the proctor was in Australia with a straight face).
Indeed, last year for New York State, TPS was dropped (heh, I can't remember, but it may have been the person was in Ohio?) and MatSci was about to be dropped too.

Edit: I also looked back, and I think something also happened where Towers had to be dropped in Ohio in 2011? It goes along the same lines that people definitely shouldn't be upset about it, and difficult decisions must be made. That said, I think it sounds like lovescience wants to just make the event run better, which is a good goal (as long as it's more that than annoyance at supervisors).
Last edited by syo_astro on April 27th, 2014, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Crazy Puny Man
State: IN

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

Our Water Quality C proctor was MIA this year too at state, but they had the test and key and everything, so they managed to run it with a bunch of middle school coaches :?
Astroknight
State: TN

Post by Astroknight »

Our Water Quality proctor (B/C) was also MIA at Regionals last year. However, there was NO test, so the event was dropped.
TSA's pretty cool... i guess

2015 events:
Essays on Technology, Tech Bowl, Water Infrastructure, Website Design

Return to “2014 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”