DFTBA
MMeteorite1
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ohio 2014

Post by MMeteorite1 »

Anyone have an new ideas for invitational trial eventsb & C? Also ideas for the downtime between last event and awards ceremony. Let me hear your ideas! Thanks
TyBlood13
State: KY

Post by TyBlood13 »

See you guys at Wright State!
Madison Central HS, Richmond, Kentucky
4th year Science Olympiad Veteran
This Year's Events [Electric Vehicle, Air Trajectory, Chem Lab]
hexagonaria

Post by hexagonaria »

MMeteorite1 wrote:Anyone have an new ideas for invitational trial eventsb & C? Also ideas for the downtime between last event and awards ceremony. Let me hear your ideas! Thanks
At Wright State they had a "swap meet", which I heard was a success, although I did not attend. At Grandview Heights we have each team bring a cake to the competition and we have a cake walk kind of thing while we wait for the results. Then after that we had a karaoke contest. That was fun..
DFTBA
Jdogg
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by Jdogg »

hexagonaria wrote:
MMeteorite1 wrote:Anyone have an new ideas for invitational trial eventsb & C? Also ideas for the downtime between last event and awards ceremony. Let me hear your ideas! Thanks
At Wright State they had a "swap meet", which I heard was a success, although I did not attend. At Grandview Heights we have each team bring a cake to the competition and we have a cake walk kind of thing while we wait for the results. Then after that we had a karaoke contest. That was fun..
\
At nationals every year they host a swap meet where teams can swap things from their respective states. Look though the forum for more information on this.
Harriton Class of 2013
Vice-Deputy of Avionics and Control for Lunar Lion
Assistant Coach of State College High School
MMeteorite1

Post by MMeteorite1 »

Great Feedback, thanks. Our team has been discussing getting trading pins for all team members that they could use to swap at invitationals.
Jdogg wrote:
hexagonaria wrote:
\
At nationals every year they host a swap meet where teams can swap things from their respective states. Look though the forum for more information on this.
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

What better way to spend Valentine's Day (or the Saturday after) at the Northmont Division B Science Olympiad Invitational? You've been to the rest, now come and experience the Best, on February 15th, 2014! This Invitational is guaranteed to improve your team's performance at Regionals! We are only accepting 30 Middle School teams, so don't get shut out! Get those applications in now and reserve your spot. Northmont is very conveniently located at the Northwest corner of Dayton, Ohio, easily accessed from both I-75 and I-70... just a stone's throw... from almost anywhere! More more information, check out the Ohio Science Olympiad Website at http://www.ced.osu.edu/scioly
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
helicpters_rule
Division: B

Post by helicpters_rule »

READ THIS HELICOPTER PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last year you had helicopters in the field house it may seam like a good idea but it was not sorry me and my partner got 2 36 and thought we where going to win but because of your rule on if it gets shuck in the ceiling then falls down it keeps the time running teams got up to 5 mins!!!!!! the best NATIONAL time got 3 05. It was disappointing that it turned into a game of chance instead of true ability of the helicopter. PLEASE find us a nice flat ceiling PLEASE.
computergeek3

Post by computergeek3 »

Does anyone know which teams are going to be at Northview next weekend?
If you can't explain it simply, you don't know it well enough. -Albert Einstein

Bayard Rustin Science Olympiad 2010-2014
Pittsburgh Allderdice Assistant Coach
Jdogg

Post by Jdogg »

helicpters_rule wrote:READ THIS HELICOPTER PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last year you had helicopters in the field house it may seam like a good idea but it was not sorry me and my partner got 2 36 and thought we where going to win but because of your rule on if it gets shuck in the ceiling then falls down it keeps the time running teams got up to 5 mins!!!!!! the best NATIONAL time got 3 05. It was disappointing that it turned into a game of chance instead of true ability of the helicopter. PLEASE find us a nice flat ceiling PLEASE.
Honestly event supervisors try their best to run every event fairly. Sometimes the best suited locations aren't available. Also note that the location that the event is held in will substantially change the results for the competition. I know some teams that could have gotten up to 5 minutes inside field houses with their helicopters. I wasn't at the competition to see it, but sometimes helicopters may seem like their stuck when in fact they are pushing against the ceiling. I do agree that events should never turn into a game of chance and should go to the team that preforms the best at the competition.

Another suggestion you might want to pose for the event supervisor would be to install a false ceiling. I know that Athens did this at their invitationals, since they didn't have any prime helicopter flying areas available. The false ceiling was easy to make from what I heard and slightly difficult to install, but it might be worth looking into.
Harriton Class of 2013
Vice-Deputy of Avionics and Control for Lunar Lion
Assistant Coach of State College High School

Return to “2014 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”