Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: New Jersey 2014

Post by syo_astro »

nxtscholar wrote:I just noticed this on the NJSO website:

"Event Rules
Event rules for ALL Science Olympiad events printed in the current year's Official Rules Manuals supersede any and all materials found at the "Science Olympiad Student Center Wiki" or anywhere else online. The "Science Olympiad Student Center Wiki" is not maintained by National Science Olympiad. National Science Olympiad does not publish any event rules online or any location other than the Official Rules Manual."

So...does that mean that event clarifications posted by NSO on their website doesn't mean anything? Because the way this is strictly worded seems to imply that.
I think the point is that if you find something online, these forums are usually the most significant source, you can't trust it. The thing is, in the rules they do mention that there are updates or something to the rules on the national site...which means that since it's in the rules and they say to follow the rules isn't that fine? Idk, lots of people seem to make such a big deal of how things are worded -_-. If you're very worried just shoot the directors an email maybe? The organization in my opinion really doesn't publish any rules online unless you mean the app.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

nxtscholar wrote:I just noticed this on the NJSO website:
So...does that mean that event clarifications posted by NSO on their website doesn't mean anything? Because the way this is strictly worded seems to imply that.
This might be helpful:

1. Look at the top of EVERY PAGE in the printed rules manual. It says "Read the General Rules..."
2. Flip to the back cover (or go to http://www.soinc.org/ethics_rules) to see the General Rules.
3. Read General Rule #11 that says "All SO Policies ... provided on the website.... must be treated as if they were included in the printed rules"

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

^Haha, yeah, I knew chalker may be around to help say what I meant, thanks XD. My guess was just that someone tried saying something on the building forums or got the gist some people sort of believed stuff on this forums to mean something like the rules, which isn't the purpose at all. Again, you could email them if you're that worried.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
fanjiatian
Has thanked: 0

Post by fanjiatian »

Hey Guys,
Don't forget to send your suggestions to Ms. Wirt regarding next year
Also, we should really start reaching out to other schools so that we can expand NJ's SO program. Let's send two teams to Nationals!
I think that we should have a fourth Regional tournament in order to accommodate enough people. I honestly don't think it'll be a problem to get enough people to the tournaments, I'm more worried that there will be too many people and nowhere to go

It'd be awesome logistically if a HS could hold a regional tournament, since I know it's really hard to get a hold of college facilities. I mean, states like NY and PA have high schools host some of their regional tournaments, heck the NY state tournament is at Kellenberg HS. It'd put less burden on the State directors and it'd let more people participate
nxtscholar
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Post by nxtscholar »

So let's get the discussion picking up again.

This year, we were 23 teams away from sending a second team to nationals. Of course, that number is bound to change next year, but it certainly gives an idea at where we are; we essentially need one more regional as fanjiatian pointed out.

In terms of regionals already in place, both NJIT and UCC are relatively close. Both are ideal for North-Central NJ teams. Camden is the only one in Southern NJ. That being said, in terms of geographic distribution, it'd probably have to be held in south-central NJ.

Of course, another way to approach that 23 additional teams goal rather than just asking schools to form new teams is if teams already doing Sci Oly in NJ just brought another team. Most schools are already doing this. But using this year as an example, if the schools that only brought in one team created a second team, we'd have 30 more teams across all of the regions.
Crazy Puny Man
State: IN

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

nxtscholar wrote:So let's get the discussion picking up again.

This year, we were 23 teams away from sending a second team to nationals. Of course, that number is bound to change next year, but it certainly gives an idea at where we are; we essentially need one more regional as fanjiatian pointed out.

In terms of regionals already in place, both NJIT and UCC are relatively close. Both are ideal for North-Central NJ teams. Camden is the only one in Southern NJ. That being said, in terms of geographic distribution, it'd probably have to be held in south-central NJ.

Of course, another way to approach that 23 additional teams goal rather than just asking schools to form new teams is if teams already doing Sci Oly in NJ just brought another team. Most schools are already doing this. But using this year as an example, if the schools that only brought in one team created a second team, we'd have 30 more teams across all of the regions.
I'm pretty sure it is only the number of competing schools, not total teams. Your only option is to get more schools involved, I'm afraid
nxtscholar

Post by nxtscholar »

This was the link where it used to post the number of registered C teams per state: http://www.scienceolympiad2014.com/teamassignments.html

Now, I can't find it on that page....so, if someone can, that'd be great. But the number of div C teams that it stated NJ had was 67. That number is reached if you include the second teams that schools bring across all regionals. 25 from Camden, 20 from NJIT, and 22 from UCC.
fanjiatian

Post by fanjiatian »

Actually it is the number of teams, not schools (correct me if I'm wrong). I did a quick count of the teams that signed up for Regionals, there were only 67 teams so 50 ish schools.
Looking at this year's scoresheets, every regional had quite a few open spots! NJIT had 10, Camden had 5 and Union was 8 short of the 30 max.
If we fill up each Regional we'd have 23 more! Yay
But we'd have to get a few more since other States are expanding too. Do you think they'd be nice and let some extra teams compete, extending the limit to 32 maybe at each tournament? Or would they be mean and just drop the extra registrations? It'd be much easier if we just filled up the existing tournaments but maybe physical space at the venue would be a problem.

I totally agree that existing schools should bring a second team if possible.
I think the link before said 67 Div C for NJ and 90 for Kansas, 92 for Indiana
SilverNight
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by SilverNight »

fanjiatian wrote:Looking at this year's scoresheets, every regional had quite a few open spots! NJIT had 10, Camden had 5 and Union was 8 short of the 30 max.
Actually, according to the state directors, NJIT was entirely full and UCC was even over capacity by two teams. My school, which usually goes to UCC, was sent to Camden this year because they really just did not have room at UCC. If we are to expand how many teams do Science Olympiad in NJ, we really need to open another regional competition.
Crazy Puny Man
State: IN

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

fanjiatian wrote:Actually it is the number of teams, not schools (correct me if I'm wrong). I did a quick count of the teams that signed up for Regionals, there were only 67 teams so 50 ish schools.
Looking at this year's scoresheets, every regional had quite a few open spots! NJIT had 10, Camden had 5 and Union was 8 short of the 30 max.
If we fill up each Regional we'd have 23 more! Yay
But we'd have to get a few more since other States are expanding too. Do you think they'd be nice and let some extra teams compete, extending the limit to 32 maybe at each tournament? Or would they be mean and just drop the extra registrations? It'd be much easier if we just filled up the existing tournaments but maybe physical space at the venue would be a problem.

I totally agree that existing schools should bring a second team if possible.
I think the link before said 67 Div C for NJ and 90 for Kansas, 92 for Indiana
Don't overtake Indiana. Please :P

Return to “2014 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”