New Jersey 2014

SilverNight
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: New Jersey 2014

Postby SilverNight » March 21st, 2014, 7:14 pm

Ahem... If anyone is thinking of doing an invite PLEASE PLEASE include div B.
Awww I'm sorry :(
If I (representing UCVTS) do an invite, it would be div C only. For the first year at least.
Maybe you can get someone else (or your school) to do div B? :)

UQOnyx
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UQOnyx » March 22nd, 2014, 8:00 pm

Lol, my school is way too small. If you guys have driven down Rt. 1 near South Brunswick/Princeton, you guys have seen the size of my school...
Noor-ul-Iman School

2012 Events:
Forestry
Storm The Castle

2013 Events:
Boomilever
Shock Value
Forestry

I know the voices aren't real, but they have some great ideas..

islipscioly
State: NY

Postby islipscioly » March 22nd, 2014, 8:36 pm

As an FYI, we held a Division C invitational on Long Island last year, and we intend to hold it again next year in December. The preliminary date is December 13th. The location might have to change to another district on the island as our school is set to start a capital building project in the upcoming months. We should have everything finalized for your consideration in June.

nxtscholar
Division: Grad

Postby nxtscholar » March 23rd, 2014, 9:04 am

Oh, just for future reference and further emphasis for other NJ users:

The question was why UCC regionals was so much better, and the general question to be asked is which regionals is the most competitive.

I added up the placement numbers for every Div C team at states for each regional. So UCC teams got 49. Camden got 125. And NJIT got 177.

Of course, you might make the argument that I should've added the total scores, which would give perhaps a better idea. So I did that too. Here is the break down:

NJIT - 3396
Camden - 2755
UCC - 1586

Clearly, these numbers give a clear idea about the quality of teams competing at the regionals level.
Last edited by nxtscholar on August 29th, 2014, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nxtscholar

Postby nxtscholar » April 14th, 2014, 12:34 pm

I just noticed this on the NJSO website:

"Event Rules
Event rules for ALL Science Olympiad events printed in the current year's Official Rules Manuals supersede any and all materials found at the "Science Olympiad Student Center Wiki" or anywhere else online. The "Science Olympiad Student Center Wiki" is not maintained by National Science Olympiad. National Science Olympiad does not publish any event rules online or any location other than the Official Rules Manual."

So...does that mean that event clarifications posted by NSO on their website doesn't mean anything? Because the way this is strictly worded seems to imply that.

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby syo_astro » April 14th, 2014, 1:06 pm

"Event Rules
Event rules for ALL Science Olympiad events printed in the current year's Official Rules Manuals supersede any and all materials found at the "Science Olympiad Student Center Wiki" or anywhere else online. The "Science Olympiad Student Center Wiki" is not maintained by National Science Olympiad. National Science Olympiad does not publish any event rules online or any location other than the Official Rules Manual."

So...does that mean that event clarifications posted by NSO on their website doesn't mean anything? Because the way this is strictly worded seems to imply that.
I think the point is that if you find something online, these forums are usually the most significant source, you can't trust it. The thing is, in the rules they do mention that there are updates or something to the rules on the national site...which means that since it's in the rules and they say to follow the rules isn't that fine? Idk, lots of people seem to make such a big deal of how things are worded -_-. If you're very worried just shoot the directors an email maybe? The organization in my opinion really doesn't publish any rules online unless you mean the app.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

chalker
State: OH

Postby chalker » April 14th, 2014, 2:32 pm

This might be helpful:

1. Look at the top of EVERY PAGE in the printed rules manual. It says "Read the General Rules..."
2. Flip to the back cover (or go to http://www.soinc.org/ethics_rules) to see the General Rules.
3. Read General Rule #11 that says "All SO Policies ... provided on the website.... must be treated as if they were included in the printed rules"

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby syo_astro » April 14th, 2014, 3:07 pm

^Haha, yeah, I knew chalker may be around to help say what I meant, thanks XD. My guess was just that someone tried saying something on the building forums or got the gist some people sort of believed stuff on this forums to mean something like the rules, which isn't the purpose at all. Again, you could email them if you're that worried.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

fanjiatian
State: -

Postby fanjiatian » April 17th, 2014, 10:22 am

Hey Guys,
Don't forget to send your suggestions to Ms. Wirt regarding next year
Also, we should really start reaching out to other schools so that we can expand NJ's SO program. Let's send two teams to Nationals!
I think that we should have a fourth Regional tournament in order to accommodate enough people. I honestly don't think it'll be a problem to get enough people to the tournaments, I'm more worried that there will be too many people and nowhere to go

It'd be awesome logistically if a HS could hold a regional tournament, since I know it's really hard to get a hold of college facilities. I mean, states like NY and PA have high schools host some of their regional tournaments, heck the NY state tournament is at Kellenberg HS. It'd put less burden on the State directors and it'd let more people participate

nxtscholar

Postby nxtscholar » April 17th, 2014, 7:04 pm

So let's get the discussion picking up again.

This year, we were 23 teams away from sending a second team to nationals. Of course, that number is bound to change next year, but it certainly gives an idea at where we are; we essentially need one more regional as fanjiatian pointed out.

In terms of regionals already in place, both NJIT and UCC are relatively close. Both are ideal for North-Central NJ teams. Camden is the only one in Southern NJ. That being said, in terms of geographic distribution, it'd probably have to be held in south-central NJ.

Of course, another way to approach that 23 additional teams goal rather than just asking schools to form new teams is if teams already doing Sci Oly in NJ just brought another team. Most schools are already doing this. But using this year as an example, if the schools that only brought in one team created a second team, we'd have 30 more teams across all of the regions.

Return to “2014 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”