Letter to the New York Director

winneratlife
Division: Grad
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Letter to the New York Director

Post by winneratlife »

MMeteorite1 wrote:Has anyone contacted the press? Got a twitter feed going? How else can you put pressure on the NY Director?
The press is already making him look bad. Twitter is useless because this is not ongoing.

I called. Voicemail, but I'll try again in a bit.
haverstall
State: MN

Post by haverstall »

I sent a news tip in to WABC, interesting to see if they follow up on it. But there was a news story on a Long Island website that I linked earlier in this thread that makes Miller already look bad, so honestly, I don't know how effective outside coverage could be.
Mounds View Science Olympiad 2008-2012 || 6th, Remote Sensing, 2011 Nationals

Co-Tournament Coordinator of Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational
Co-Chair of Minnesota Science Olympiad Alumni
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA

Post by fishman100 »

gneissisnice wrote:
haverstall wrote:Usually, I don't like stirring up controversy but, after reading this article, Mr. Miller's lackluster response to why he called the wrong coach really just doesn't pass. I don't want to flame the guy, but his response is simply unprofessional.
Miller, in an email Tuesday night, said Ward Melville's invitation to compete was withdrawn because registration materials did not arrive until the week after the deadline.
"We are always disappointed when a fine school does not submit its materials in a timely manner," Miller wrote. "We need the registration materials at least two weeks prior to the competition so that we can complete the many tasks necessary to conduct a state tournament."
Miller also noted that Ward Melville had three teams competing at the regional level, and under state policy any member of the three teams may be chosen to compete at the state level. He said he picked Rocklein's name out of the three original registration forms, as opposed to Malusa's, because he has met her over the years at various tournaments and recognized her name.
"I had no way of knowing she was actually retired and was not an active coach who could get a message to the people responsible for doing the registration," he said in another email.
According to what I've read on the the forums so far, this teacher has been retired for quite a while. This is simply unacceptable for an organization like New York Science Olympiad to use flawed assumptions like these to validate a situation like this.

The article is here, if you want to read it.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/ward ... -1.7360911
He should have known that she was retired. He knows both coaches, and Rocklein retired in 2008 (I believe, she retired in my junior year). That's 6 years that Malusa's been the head coach, and Miller knew enough to call Malusa on March 1 to tell him that the team was barred from going.
Wonder why the director didn't recognize WM's coach after 6 years. Regardless, I'm very sorry to the WM team and I hope nothing like this happens in the future.
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15
caseyotis
Division: C
State: NY

Post by caseyotis »

I'm going to be saying it over and over again, but it irks me that Mr. Miller held no accountability for his failure to recognize which coach was active. He chose wrong and then it seemed like he just said "Oh gosh darn it, oh well, sorry guys," except he wasn't sorry.
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Caseyotis
Welcome, welcome
“Goodbye,” said the fox.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the
eye.”
Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Luo »

haverstall wrote:I sent a news tip in to WABC, interesting to see if they follow up on it. But there was a news story on a Long Island website that I linked earlier in this thread that makes Miller already look bad, so honestly, I don't know how effective outside coverage could be.
Though undoubtedly the national organization is already aware of the situation, I sent an email to Harold Miller in support of the disqualified team and included members of the state Science Olympiad board, state Department of Education, and national Science Olympiad organization in the CC line.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

haverstall wrote:I sent a news tip in to WABC, interesting to see if they follow up on it. But there was a news story on a Long Island website that I linked earlier in this thread that makes Miller already look bad, so honestly, I don't know how effective outside coverage could be.
WCBS ran it on the 6:00 news, and News12 ran it too. It was page 4 in Newsday today.
haverstall

Post by haverstall »

Luo wrote:
Though undoubtedly the national organization is already aware of the situation, I sent an email to Harold Miller in support of the disqualified team and included members of the state Science Olympiad board, state Department of Education, and national Science Olympiad organization in the CC line.
I saw your ninja delete on the MVSO page. :D
Mounds View Science Olympiad 2008-2012 || 6th, Remote Sensing, 2011 Nationals

Co-Tournament Coordinator of Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational
Co-Chair of Minnesota Science Olympiad Alumni

Return to “2014 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”