Cheesy Pie
Division: Grad
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Will You Make it to Nationals?

Post by Cheesy Pie »

Unome wrote:
homesciencenerd wrote:i think we will probably go to nationals this because we have our strongest team ever and our main rival doesn't so...............
Yeah, we're mostly the same (though maybe not or strongest ever, but close).
We might make Nats in seasons ahead, because there is a relatively large amount of underclassmen on Varsity (including me), and there are some really smart freshmen on JV.
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE
XJcwolfyX
Division: C

Post by XJcwolfyX »

Cheesy Pie wrote:
Unome wrote:
homesciencenerd wrote:i think we will probably go to nationals this because we have our strongest team ever and our main rival doesn't so...............
Yeah, we're mostly the same (though maybe not or strongest ever, but close).
We might make Nats in seasons ahead, because there is a relatively large amount of underclassmen on Varsity (including me), and there are some really smart freshmen on JV.
Cheesy what team are you on now?
Medal Counter: 73
Cheesy Pie
State: MI

Post by Cheesy Pie »

Naperville Central Varsity.
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE
blockhead
State: NY

Post by blockhead »

This is to flavflo. Winning middle school team gives a high school SO team a boost but maybe not for the obvious reasons. Not all the Division C team were on winning teams of SO in middle school anyway since only one of the teams for each district can go on. When a team losses at the Regional or state level, their season ends. Those that win and go on continue working for a long time. When they start up again the next year, the students who return on the winning team had worked an extra 4 months the previous year. So even in September teams are very different.
emescferrall
Division: B
State: AZ

Post by emescferrall »

Got 3rd at State . . .
I took first at 2013 States as a 6th grader in Meteorology!!!

2014 State Results:

Anatomy: 2nd
Can't Judge A Powder: 9th
Crime Busters: 1st
Heredity: 3rd
Meteorology: 3rd
Sounds of Music: 2nd

2015 Events: Anatomy, Crave The Wave, Crime Busters, Experimental Design, Meteorology, Picture This
DivineBbbbbeast
Division: C
State: OH

Post by DivineBbbbbeast »

blockhead wrote:This is to flavflo. Winning middle school team gives a high school SO team a boost but maybe not for the obvious reasons. Not all the Division C team were on winning teams of SO in middle school anyway since only one of the teams for each district can go on. When a team losses at the Regional or state level, their season ends. Those that win and go on continue working for a long time. When they start up again the next year, the students who return on the winning team had worked an extra 4 months the previous year. So even in September teams are very different.
I wouldn't really agree with this. A lot of the powerhouse states like Ohio hold their states like 2-4 weeks before Nationals, so it's not exactly the biggest study period. Additionally, it's not exactly possible to spend summer studying when rules aren't released until like September. Hence, every team kind of starts on equal ground every school year. I think the biggest factor is knowing how to compete in events, rather than knowing just the knowledge in events. The benefit of a successful middle school team transitions into having a high school team that knows exactly how to prepare for study events/build mechanicals. But the tricky part is that it needs to cycle. A successful high school team must be willing to re-contribute back to the middle school team, providing back to the newbies with coaching or advice, that allows them to succeed. The interconnection between the Solon MS and HS teams is what's allowed it to continue its dominance for the past few years. Additionally, having alumni to ask for help is a big plus too.
Solon High School Class of 2014
Vanderbilt University Class of 2018

2012 Nats: 1st Thermodynamics, 7th Fermi Questions, 28th LoLptics
2013 Nats: 2nd Thermodynamics, 8th Remote Sensing, 9th Fermi Questions
2014 Moral Support :P
blockhead
State: NY

Post by blockhead »

Im sure the factors that are operative are complex ones. What drives a winning team in Ohio may be different than what does so in NY. The fact that winning teams continue to work on events for months after other teams stop certainly helps in the early rounds for teams I know. The teams that don't go on from regionals stop working in December or January-whereas a team that goes all the way has up to 5 more months of working 24/7. Next fall, the team with members who worked 5 more months is very different from one that had only a few months experience. Does that exert a difference at states between 1,2,and 3. I'll say no, it is important in the very earliest rounds making it hard for the other local teams to catch up to the one that went the distance the year before. But then other factors become important at the state level. A winning coach it probably the biggest factor. The coach extracts the greatest effort from students, knows how to select and motivate students, can foresee and avoid pitfalls/rookie errors, and on. For the teams I know best, the high school team was winning first; then the middle school one. And the middle school did not start winning because high school students helped out. What drives wins for both schools is outstanding dedicated coaches;students come and go. Obviously they have to be excellent for a team to win but the constant for the teams I know is the excellence of the coaches. So an excellent coach is essential but may not be enough since there are excellent coaches on teams that don't always win. My impression is that there are so many differences between the Ohio and NY teams that hugely different factors may be operating.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

blockhead wrote:Im sure the factors that are operative are complex ones. What drives a winning team in Ohio may be different than what does so in NY. The fact that winning teams continue to work on events for months after other teams stop certainly helps in the early rounds for teams I know. The teams that don't go on from regionals stop working in December or January-whereas a team that goes all the way has up to 5 more months of working 24/7. Next fall, the team with members who worked 5 more months is very different from one that had only a few months experience. Does that exert a difference at states between 1,2,and 3. I'll say no, it is important in the very earliest rounds making it hard for the other local teams to catch up to the one that went the distance the year before. But then other factors become important at the state level. A winning coach it probably the biggest factor. The coach extracts the greatest effort from students, knows how to select and motivate students, can foresee and avoid pitfalls/rookie errors, and on. For the teams I know best, the high school team was winning first; then the middle school one. And the middle school did not start winning because high school students helped out. What drives wins for both schools is outstanding dedicated coaches;students come and go. Obviously they have to be excellent for a team to win but the constant for the teams I know is the excellence of the coaches. So an excellent coach is essential but may not be enough since there are excellent coaches on teams that don't always win. My impression is that there are so many differences between the Ohio and NY teams that hugely different factors may be operating.
There are also huge differences within states like Ohio. For example, at a high school like Centerville there at times is almost a 1:1 ratio between coaches and students, whereas at Solon, there is essentially only 1 coach. I'd suggest that the old adage 'success begets success' really applies. If a team is successful, then the next year more students will want to participate, meaning there is more commitment, etc.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

chalker wrote:
blockhead wrote:Im sure the factors that are operative are complex ones. What drives a winning team in Ohio may be different than what does so in NY. The fact that winning teams continue to work on events for months after other teams stop certainly helps in the early rounds for teams I know. The teams that don't go on from regionals stop working in December or January-whereas a team that goes all the way has up to 5 more months of working 24/7. Next fall, the team with members who worked 5 more months is very different from one that had only a few months experience. Does that exert a difference at states between 1,2,and 3. I'll say no, it is important in the very earliest rounds making it hard for the other local teams to catch up to the one that went the distance the year before. But then other factors become important at the state level. A winning coach it probably the biggest factor. The coach extracts the greatest effort from students, knows how to select and motivate students, can foresee and avoid pitfalls/rookie errors, and on. For the teams I know best, the high school team was winning first; then the middle school one. And the middle school did not start winning because high school students helped out. What drives wins for both schools is outstanding dedicated coaches;students come and go. Obviously they have to be excellent for a team to win but the constant for the teams I know is the excellence of the coaches. So an excellent coach is essential but may not be enough since there are excellent coaches on teams that don't always win. My impression is that there are so many differences between the Ohio and NY teams that hugely different factors may be operating.
There are also huge differences within states like Ohio. For example, at a high school like Centerville there at times is almost a 1:1 ratio between coaches and students, whereas at Solon, there is essentially only 1 coach. I'd suggest that the old adage 'success begets success' really applies. If a team is successful, then the next year more students will want to participate, meaning there is more commitment, etc.
A 1:1 ratio :o that's slightly insane.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
TavinM
Division: B
State: MO

Post by TavinM »

Regionals Boomilever: breaks when we put the bucket on. But maybe a 33% chance still. Robo-Cross had a perfect score

Return to “2014 Nationals”