Astroknight
Division: C
State: TN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2014 National Trial Events C

Post by Astroknight »

patil215 wrote:
chinesesushi wrote:I think you're missing the point of the event, which is NOT to test programming ability. There's Codes and Algorithms for that.
I do not think that the point of the event is to test a student's ability to create a game if that is what you are implying. In the description for the rules of the event, the creator specifically states that the event is intended to be a computing event. I would think that because the event is part of Science Olympiad, the event should test a student's ability to "do science" in the computing category. Algorithms are usually considered the "science" of Computer Science and would more truly separate the better programmers from the worse programmers.

Maybe there could be a double the point bonus for using Java or more advanced programs.
TSA's pretty cool... i guess

2015 events:
Essays on Technology, Tech Bowl, Water Infrastructure, Website Design
ParkourNinja
State: PA

Post by ParkourNinja »

I'm just curious (this is my first post on scioly by the way), the official rules for GAME ON don't seem like official rules but are written like a proposal for an event. Are the rules actually going to be just like they are described in the proposal, because at the bottom, it mentions several variations.

Also, are these events still competitive if I plan on preparing in advance?
Astroknight
State: TN

Post by Astroknight »

As Game On is a trial event, the rules aren't up to the same level of officiality (that's not a word) of the real events. Those are the official rules, and while there may be some minor revisions, they are the rules Nationals will go by. If you prepare in advance, you will have a better chance of winning. It carries the same principle as any other event. However, most teams send alternates and don't try as hard for those events, so it is easier to medal (speaking from personal experience). It is still competitive, just not as much as the real events.
TSA's pretty cool... i guess

2015 events:
Essays on Technology, Tech Bowl, Water Infrastructure, Website Design

Return to “2014 Nationals”