2014 National Trial Events C

CulturallyScientific
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2014 National Trial Events C

Post by CulturallyScientific »

Does anyone know when the national trial events are usually announced, or what they might be for Division C? I submitted an official soinc.org FAQ about the trial events for this year about two weeks ago and they still haven't gotten back to me, so just curious if anyone out there knows anything. Thanks!
'16, she/her, environmental-scientist-to-be: green gen, invasives, disease, ex. design, widi.

"…everything flows in an eternal present." (James Joyce)
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: 2014 National Trial Events C

Post by hscmom »

They're posted (but are tentative)

B: Airjectory, Bridge Building
C: Game On, Hydroecology

The soinc site has TE rules: http://www.soinc.org/trial_events
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
FueL
Division: C
State: NY

Post by FueL »

Where are they posted?
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Post by Luo »

FueL wrote:Where are they posted?
http://scienceolympiad2014.com/schedule_master.html
Click the Division B Schedule and Division C Schedule tabs.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

Oh my goodness Airjectory is finally a thing. And Game On too. You guys are lucky ducks.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

zyzzyva980 wrote:Oh my goodness Airjectory is finally a thing. And Game On too. You guys are lucky ducks.
Just a note.. this is not the same Airjectory that has been tried in the past (i.e. using small plastic bottle rockets). This is essentially the same old trajectory rules as a few years ago, with a requirement to utilize air pressure / movement as part of the throwing motion. It looks like the updated rules haven't been posted yet online.

I'm very interested in any feedback on the rules. We are seriously considering this being a full event next year.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
sciolymom

Post by sciolymom »

I'm interested in hearing about how the Trial Event process works on your team. Once you qualify for Nationals, how are the trial event positions filled? Do members "apply" for the positions? What preferences are given?

Thanks!
Mom/Event Coach
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

sciolymom wrote:I'm interested in hearing about how the Trial Event process works on your team. Once you qualify for Nationals, how are the trial event positions filled? Do members "apply" for the positions? What preferences are given?

Thanks!
Just wanted to point out that at Nationals, trial events DON'T need to be done by the actual real event competitors. A lot of teams have their 'alternate' or 'JV' team members do the trial events as a kind of consolation prize.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
sciolymom

Post by sciolymom »

chalker wrote:
sciolymom wrote:I'm interested in hearing about how the Trial Event process works on your team. Once you qualify for Nationals, how are the trial event positions filled? Do members "apply" for the positions? What preferences are given?

Thanks!
Just wanted to point out that at Nationals, trial events DON'T need to be done by the actual real event competitors. A lot of teams have their 'alternate' or 'JV' team members do the trial events as a kind of consolation prize.
Thanks for responding! That's what I was curious about, if that was the most common practice, or if teams try to fill the event with the "most qualified".
Mom/Event Coach
Astroknight
State: TN

Post by Astroknight »

chalker wrote:
zyzzyva980 wrote:Oh my goodness Airjectory is finally a thing. And Game On too. You guys are lucky ducks.
Just a note.. this is not the same Airjectory that has been tried in the past (i.e. using small plastic bottle rockets). This is essentially the same old trajectory rules as a few years ago, with a requirement to utilize air pressure / movement as part of the throwing motion. It looks like the updated rules haven't been posted yet online.

I'm very interested in any feedback on the rules. We are seriously considering this being a full event next year.
Is the competition at Nationals going to comply with the Nationals level competition rules, i.e. 8 mins competition time, targets in 10 cm intervals? Or since it's a trial event, will the competition rules be more lenient?
TSA's pretty cool... i guess

2015 events:
Essays on Technology, Tech Bowl, Water Infrastructure, Website Design

Return to “2014 Nationals”