Unofficial Rankings B

NaCl
Division: B
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Unofficial Rankings B

Post by NaCl »

i didnt know the science art school went to WSU. wow, that kind of does change stuff. guess they were really wanting to go to nationals. i saw them at an invite and at state. theres a girl with blue hair on their team, maybe thats a good luck thing. whats nationals like? is it way cool? do you sleep or are you too excited? I just want to watch it. too bad its not on tv or something like that.
abby1kanobe
State: TN

Post by abby1kanobe »

Overall perspective and predictions of top 15:

1.Winston Churchill( 40 point state win, overall quality looks tough,def has shot at title)
2.Daniel Wright(Dominated state against tough SAA team)
3.Solon(perenial powerhouse, lets see how changes effect team)
4.Meads Mill(winners of WSI by a bunch over everyone)
5.Beckendorff(top team out of TX should be top 5 and placed well last year)
6.Booth MS(hard call hear based on GA state results but history means something)
7.SAA(WSI results plus beating MM puts them here)
8.Paul Gelinas(NY champ and top team from 2013)
9.Muscatel(Won SoCal and, solid team)
10.Piedmont(looked great at WSI and good at Solon Invite after modification of scores)
11.Bearden(Second Chattahoochee Invite, second at Booth,second at West Liberty Salem, hung tough with Peidmont at Booth)
12.Magsig(if they get 2nd if not Memorial here)
13.Shady Side( def top ten contender)
14.Eagle Hill( dangerous team)
15.Dodgen(great finish in GA, perenially a solid team)
Last edited by abby1kanobe on April 17th, 2014, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
scio444
Division: C
State: NY

Post by scio444 »

NaCl wrote:anyone know anything about the school that beat out marie murphy? and with a tie??? poor mm, i feel bad for them kids. hope the coach isnt to mad at them.
Yeah, things like this can happen. It doesn't mean MM was by any means weak this year. And they probably weren't. MM was 3rd last yr!- so they would have been formidable this year too. Every team can have an off day. I mean, 23-25 events have to go as expected, and if one slips up- it can be tricky. SO is like that. I know the kind of pressure there is for certain teams, even though my team isn't consistently in the top 3 at nats like MM.
Wish all the kids on MM luck, for next yr!
And of course congrats to SSA.
awesome90220
State: AL

Post by awesome90220 »

abby1kanobe wrote:Overall perspective and predictions of top 15:

1.Winston Churchill( 40 point state win, overall quality looks tough,def has shot at title)
6.Booth MS(hard call hear based on GA state results but history means something)
10.Piedmont(looked great at WSI and good at Solon Invite after modification of scores)
11.Bearden(Beat Auburn at Chattahoochee Invite, beat Dodgen and FSA at Booth, beat Magsig at West Liberty Salem, hung tough with Peidmont at Booth)
As one of the sole reps. for Auburn on this forum, I'd like to say that we never really try at invites, they're to see who is best at what event, and who can actually get a spot on the C and D teams. If you were in a build event with us you'd know what I meant XD. Just ask anyone at Booth who was watching the Rotor Egg Drop competition.
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
MHSscioly_1
State: OH

Post by MHSscioly_1 »

I really can't wait for Ohio State next weekend. This year I'm not even going to definitely predict that Solon will get the top spot based on how much they and other teams have fluctuated this year. Do I still think Solon will get to Nationals? Yes. But I feel like it could be possible for them to slip back into the 2nd place spot. I'm excited to see how things will play out next weekend. I have seen some doubt about Chardon, but let me say that they are a very strong this year. I honestly can't rank the top spots at states right now. I have no clue how Solon, Memorial, Magsig, Chardon, Mason, and Westlake will do relative to each other. Even Shore might surprised everyone and take a higher place this year. They have done really well too.
2014/2015 Events:
-Compound Machines, Green Generation, GeoLogic Mapping, and Mission Possible
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

abby1kanobe wrote:Overall perspective and predictions of top 15:

11.Bearden(Second Chattahoochee Invite, second at Booth,second at West Liberty Salem, hung tough with Peidmont at Booth)
I'd say you're underestimating Dodgen and overestimating Bearden. Dodgen's state showing was amazing this year (no event bombs, and about 2-5-5-2 for 1st-2nd-3rd-4th places), and, with their 12th place finish in their first year, I'd say they can easily make top ten. As for Bearden, the highest they've placed at Nationals is 6th (1995), and they haven't place in the top twenty for over a decade.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Sciolapedia
State: PA

Post by Sciolapedia »

And also I believe that piedmont shouldn't be there because they haven't had a history of doing well. Last year they were in the 20s so there isn't enough proof.
I agree with unome in the fact that bearden also shouldn't be there for the same reasons.
abby1kanobe
State: TN

Post by abby1kanobe »

Understand your reasoning. Maybe invitational results are overestimating potential of teams?? Either way everyone should be excited and proud to attend Orlando!! Good luck to each and everyone competing. Rankings are for fun. So let's see some more!!!
hc1220
State: MO

Post by hc1220 »

I'm from missouri, and naturally biased for that state, so keep that in mind as you read beneath this.

The two missouri teams I feel actually have a chance at getting top ten this year, ladue and pembroke. Ladue didn't lose much to SAA in the invitationals, but I know for a fact that most of our buildings were not as well prepared, and I'm pretty sure SAA was not close to fully ready either. Previously, ladue doesn't have a tradition of doing well at nationals (20-30th place a lot), but it's worth noting that many of ladue students' mindset in many previous years has been "as long as we make nationals, we don't care." The few exceptions have been the years which ladue has done well. I feel that ladue is probably one of the most prepared ladue teams ever this year. Pembroke is also in the habit of beating ladue at nationals, so shouldn't be far from top ten this year, if not actually in top 10. I'm not saying that the missouri teams have a decent shot at nationals, what with the many competitive teams this year, but I feel that at the least both should be considered for top 15.

But then again, I'm sure many people from many states can say that about their state's teams :)
2014: Ladue Middle- 8th at nats!
ckssv07
State: PA

Post by ckssv07 »

abby1kanobe wrote:Understand your reasoning. Maybe invitational results are overestimating potential of teams?? Either way everyone should be excited and proud to attend Orlando!! Good luck to each and everyone competing. Rankings are for fun. So let's see some more!!!
I wouldn't say you are overestimating invites, but you can not really rank on how well a team did at an invite with out factoring in, what other competition was there and their likelihood of the top 10.
WSU-Meads Mill-113, Solon-171, SAA-217, Magsig-T-258, Shady Side-T-258, Piedmont-276, Westlake-320, Bearden-325 Top 3 are top 5 contenders, and the next three are possible top 10
Solon-Solon-184, Meads Mill-217, Booth-245, DW,-255 Shady Side-265, Memorial-281, Piedmont-288, Magsig-289 Band from Booth to Shady Side, and another tight band from Memorial to Magsig
Mentor-Solon-137, Shady Side-175, Westlake-176, Chardon-185, Memorial-202, Eagle Hill-229 The three Ohio teams are all strong so whoever makes it has a good chance at top 10
You also have to take into consideration that the teams in tougher states will get a lot better, since they have to fight for their spot at Nats.

Return to “2014 Nationals”