Page 8 of 11

Re: Unofficial Rankings B

Posted: April 18th, 2014, 6:57 pm
by Adi1008
It would be tough for me to give each team their own rankings. Last year, the results were extremely close between some of the schools (e.g., Daniel Wright and Solon and a tie between Meads Mill and Winston Churchill), so I'm going to place them in tiers instead. Within each tier, I expect those teams to fight it out against each other. All of my listings are in no particular order within each tier.

1st and 2nd: Solon and Daniel Wright
3rd through 5th: Meads Mill, Winston Churchill, Beckendorff
6th through 10th: Mentor Memorial , Paul J. Gelinas, SSA, JC Booth, Muscatel

noodleluvr wrote:I still think that Beckendorff should be placed higher.


I personally believe Beckendorff's success will lie in how well its building events do. Last year, their study events were extremely solid (with the exception of R4TS), but they bombed Helicopters (51st), Rotor (43rd), and (depending on your definition of bombed) Mousetrap (31st). Had they been around 20th or 30th, I believe they could have easily been a top 5 team. While the same could be said for other teams (Mentor Memorial got 50th in Sounds of Music and Meads Mill got 56th [!] in Mousetrap), I personally feel as if it applies to Beckendorff more. However, we can't really say for sure until state. The regionals they went to was plagued with some questionable scoring and placements for all teams, and they never really had a stacked team during the invitationals.

Re: Unofficial Rankings B

Posted: April 18th, 2014, 7:06 pm
by ckssv07
Adi1008 wrote:It would be tough for me to give each team their own rankings. Last year, the results were extremely close between some of the schools (e.g., Daniel Wright and Solon and a tie between Meads Mill and Winston Churchill), so I'm going to place them in tiers instead. Within each tier, I expect those teams to fight it out against each other. All of my listings are in no particular order within each tier.

1st and 2nd: Solon and Daniel Wright
3rd through 5th: Meads Mill, Winston Churchill, Beckendorff
6th through 10th: Mentor Memorial , Paul J. Gelinas, SSA, JC Booth, Muscatel

noodleluvr wrote:I still think that Beckendorff should be placed higher.


I personally believe Beckendorff's success will lie in how well its building events do. Last year, their study events were extremely solid (with the exception of R4TS), but they bombed Helicopters (51st), Rotor (43rd), and (depending on your definition of bombed) Mousetrap (31st). Had they been around 20th or 30th, I believe they could have easily been a top 5 team. While the same could be said for other teams (Mentor Memorial got 50th in Sounds of Music and Meads Mill got 56th [!] in Mousetrap), I personally feel as if it applies to Beckendorff more. However, we can't really say for sure until state. The regionals they went to was plagued with some questionable scoring and placements for all teams, and they never really had a stacked team during the invitationals.

I think that's pretty accurate but I would put Booth in place of memorial.

Re: Unofficial Rankings B

Posted: April 18th, 2014, 10:19 pm
by mrburrito
havenbreadfish wrote:
mrburrito wrote:Oh, look at this. The thread has returned, I should check this site more often.

1. Daniel Wright
2. Solon
3. Winston Churchill
4. Marie Murphy
5. Mentor Memorial
6. Meads Mill
7. Beckondorff
8. Paul J. Gelinas
9. Shady Side
10. Booth

This is the correct answer :D


The fact that Marie Murphy won't be at nationals automatically makes this incorrect. :P Science and Arts Academy beat them in a tie at states. Other than that, yeah, these seem to be decent rankings. I'd imagine Beckendorff would be a bit higher, but it gets really tough at this point.


Lol, haven't been paying attention, I just assumed they would win. I fixed it now.

Re: Unofficial Rankings B

Posted: April 19th, 2014, 7:55 am
by Unome
mrburrito wrote:
havenbreadfish wrote:
mrburrito wrote:Oh, look at this. The thread has returned, I should check this site more often.

1. Daniel Wright
2. Solon
3. Winston Churchill
4. Marie Murphy
5. Mentor Memorial
6. Meads Mill
7. Beckondorff
8. Paul J. Gelinas
9. Shady Side
10. Booth

This is the correct answer :D


The fact that Marie Murphy won't be at nationals automatically makes this incorrect. :P Science and Arts Academy beat them in a tie at states. Other than that, yeah, these seem to be decent rankings. I'd imagine Beckendorff would be a bit higher, but it gets really tough at this point.


Lol, haven't been paying attention, I just assumed they would win. I fixed it now.

I'm still completely confident that Dodgen will make top ten.

Re: Unofficial Rankings B

Posted: April 19th, 2014, 1:26 pm
by qwertyuiop1234567890
mrburrito wrote:Oh, look at this. The thread has returned, I should check this site more often.

1. Daniel Wright
2. Solon
3. Winston Churchill
4. Science and Arts
5. Mentor Memorial
6. Meads Mill
7. Beckondorff
8. Paul J. Gelinas
9. Shady Side
10. Booth

This is the correct answer :D


I think Meads Mill will place higher. Didn't they get second at Solon (behind Solon)?

Re: Unofficial Rankings B

Posted: April 19th, 2014, 1:41 pm
by kentuckyfan1001
Unome wrote:I'm still completely confident that Dodgen will make top ten.


Who would you kick out, then?

Amongst:
DW, Science & Arts, Solon, Mentor Memorial, Meads Mill, Beckendorff, PJG, Shady Side, Booth, Winston Churchill, Muscatel, and Eagle Hill?

Re: Unofficial Rankings B

Posted: April 19th, 2014, 2:59 pm
by mrburrito
Also in the running for top 10: Eagle Hill, Dodgen, Muscatel, and Strath Haven.

Re: Unofficial Rankings B

Posted: April 19th, 2014, 4:05 pm
by ckssv07
mrburrito wrote:Also in the running for top 10: Eagle Hill, Dodgen, Muscatel, and Strath Haven.

I hope they make it but right now it looks like Strath Haven won't make Nats. How well has Dodgen actually done for people to have them in top 10 contention.

Re: Unofficial Rankings B

Posted: April 22nd, 2014, 3:18 pm
by Unome
ckssv07 wrote:
mrburrito wrote:Also in the running for top 10: Eagle Hill, Dodgen, Muscatel, and Strath Haven.

I hope they make it but right now it looks like Strath Haven won't make Nats. How well has Dodgen actually done for people to have them in top 10 contention.

This is my second year in SO, and my team competed against Dodgen three times each year. They got 12th place last year in their first year at Nationals, and this year they are significantly better (104 to 70 points at state, even with my team going from 142 to 79).

EDIT: My new rankings list
1st-Solon (They're still going to win, people have been predicting their fall for the past five years)
2nd-Daniel Wright (Their state performance was as good as last year, and they always seem to be improving)
3rd-Meads Mill (DW is strong enough to beat them, but they've gotten better from last year too)
4th-Winston Churchill (They seem to be constant, but being from NorCal, it's tough to say for sure)
5th-Beckendorff (They're consistently around this range, so they might make it into the top 5)
6th-JC Booth (They're likely going to be top ten again after last year's fall)
7th-Dodgen (An almost definite top ten here, they've only gotten better since last year)
8th-SAA (They outcompeted Marie Murphy at state, but since this is their first time at Nationals, they probably won't make top 5)
9th- <going to finish the rest later>
10th-

Re: Unofficial Rankings B

Posted: April 22nd, 2014, 6:05 pm
by havenbreadfish
mrburrito wrote:Also in the running for top 10: Eagle Hill, Dodgen, Muscatel, and Strath Haven.


As a member of Strath Haven's B team last year, I can tell you that they are cleanly out of the running for top ten. They've lost a lot to graduation, and the coaches who have been with the team since its beginning left after last year.

They're doing the best with what they have, and while they still have a shot at making nationals, they probably won't, and certainly won't be placing in the top ten if they do. The team was simply left with too many holes to fill at the beginning of this year.

The three other teams there also have a very good shot of making the top 10, and I'd be surprised if one of them weren't in the top ten after nationals.

Re: Unofficial Rankings B

Posted: April 27th, 2014, 5:18 pm
by AJTheGreat1729
Anybody compiled a list of the top 20-ish teams?
(no order needed, just want to know names to look out for)

Re: Unofficial Rankings B

Posted: April 27th, 2014, 5:39 pm
by ckssv07
AJTheGreat1729 wrote:Anybody compiled a list of the top 20-ish teams?
(no order needed, just want to know names to look out for)

Solon, Magsig, DW, SAA, Meads Mill, Lakeshore, Beckendorff, Muscatel, Churchill, Gelinas, Eagle Hill, Booth, Dodgen, SSA, Other PA Team, Piedmont, Longfellow, Community, Pembroke, Ladue, TJ

Re: Unofficial Rankings B

Posted: April 27th, 2014, 6:32 pm
by Crazy Puny Man
ckssv07 wrote:
AJTheGreat1729 wrote:Anybody compiled a list of the top 20-ish teams?
(no order needed, just want to know names to look out for)

Solon, Magsig, DW, SAA, Meads Mill, Lakeshore, Beckendorff, Muscatel, Churchill, Gelinas, Eagle Hill, Booth, Dodgen, SSA, Other PA Team, Piedmont, Longfellow, Community, Pembroke, Ladue


Thomas Jefferson's hit top 20 for a while

Re: Unofficial Rankings B

Posted: April 28th, 2014, 4:11 am
by ckssv07
Crazy Puny Man wrote:
ckssv07 wrote:
AJTheGreat1729 wrote:Anybody compiled a list of the top 20-ish teams?
(no order needed, just want to know names to look out for)

Solon, Magsig, DW, SAA, Meads Mill, Lakeshore, Beckendorff, Muscatel, Churchill, Gelinas, Eagle Hill, Booth, Dodgen, SSA, Other PA Team, Piedmont, Longfellow, Community, Pembroke, Ladue


Thomas Jefferson's hit top 20 for a while

Sorry, I forgot them, I put them into that list.

Re: Unofficial Rankings B

Posted: April 29th, 2014, 2:23 pm
by Doniff
Did anyone else notice that Solon more than doubled their score from 2013 to 2014 from 52 to 114 including helicopters? Did the competition get tougher?

Also Beckendorff JH needs some love, lol.