taaffeite
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Unofficial Rankings C

Post by taaffeite »

Kentucky
I agree. The fact that NY refuses to align its schedule with Nationals handicaps the teams making placing in the top 5 almost impossible. It adds an unnecessary burden. Considering performance at such a high level, the smallest obstacle is difficult to overcome. Even though the term Olympiad is used in the name, the mentality of the two organizing bodies of the two different enterprises is completely different. Take the world series. Can you imagine the American League telling players that their bases will differ from those used in the World series even if only by a few inches? That is why designated players is so controversial. There is a reason that so much focus is placed on things like footwear in sports. The difference between sneakers may be just enough to help someone win a race by a fraction of a second. Given equal talent and prep, the sneaker factor becomes huge. Officials in New York don't really care about winning nationals. Its like peewee sports instead of the Olympics. The focus is on all teams having a good time. That is not a bad goal but it is a different one than the actual Olympics.
ckssv07
Division: C
State: PA

Post by ckssv07 »

taaffeite wrote:Kentucky
I agree. The fact that NY refuses to align its schedule with Nationals handicaps the teams making placing in the top 5 almost impossible. It adds an unnecessary burden. Considering performance at such a high level, the smallest obstacle is difficult to overcome. Even though the term Olympiad is used in the name, the mentality of the two organizing bodies of the two different enterprises is completely different. Take the world series. Can you imagine the American League telling players that their bases will differ from those used in the World series even if only by a few inches? That is why designated players is so controversial. There is a reason that so much focus is placed on things like footwear in sports. The difference between sneakers may be just enough to help someone win a race by a fraction of a second. Given equal talent and prep, the sneaker factor becomes huge. Officials in New York don't really care about winning nationals. Its like peewee sports instead of the Olympics. The focus is on all teams having a good time. That is not a bad goal but it is a different one than the actual Olympics.
I understand what you both are saying, but by the same token, PA does not align their schedules at all with the Nationals schedules. Their tournament is also only 2-3 weeks before Nationals, yet the teams, especially in division C are able to do rather well and place quite high at Nationals.
taaffeite

Post by taaffeite »

Yes it is certainly possible for the team from any state, regardless of their States schedule, to win. But just a little less likely when schedules differ. My point isn't really to suggest that scheduling is what determines outcome. My comments are to suggest that the schedules should be standardized to eliminate it as a factor.
kentuckyfan1001
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: OH

Post by kentuckyfan1001 »

ckssv07 wrote:
taaffeite wrote:Kentucky
I understand what you both are saying, but by the same token, PA does not align their schedules at all with the Nationals schedules. Their tournament is also only 2-3 weeks before Nationals, yet the teams, especially in division C are able to do rather well and place quite high at Nationals.
This is certainly true; however, from what I've seen at PA States, it seems to be still run pretty close to what NSO has in that the same events are used and the same scoring system as well. However, NYS still has two extra events, which skews some of the scoring and the way you schedule, regardless.
-JZ Solon '12, Penn '16
2013 Helicopters PA State Supervisor
blhab

Post by blhab »

1. Troy
2. Seven Lakes
3. Solon
4. Centerville/Mentor
5. New Trier
6. Adlai E. Stevenson
7. Grand Haven
8. Fayetteville-Manlius
9. Harriton
10. Munster
Crazy Puny Man
State: IN

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

No Mounds View?
Astroknight
State: TN

Post by Astroknight »

Crazy Puny Man wrote:No Mounds View?
I think at this point we've figured out that there are more than ten top-ten caliber teams. This being said, it would be impossible to put all these teams in the top ten.
TSA's pretty cool... i guess

2015 events:
Essays on Technology, Tech Bowl, Water Infrastructure, Website Design
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

Astroknight wrote:
I think at this point we've figured out that there are more than ten top-ten caliber teams. This being said, it would be impossible to put all these teams in the top ten.
Maybe what Crazy Puny Man means is how do you think that Munster (no offense to your school!) gets into the top 10 over Mounds View or some of the other really good schools from last year?
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Astroknight
State: TN

Post by Astroknight »

syo_astro wrote:
Astroknight wrote:
Maybe what Crazy Puny Man means is how do you think that Munster (no offense to your school!) gets into the top 10 over Mounds View or some of the other really good schools from last year?
For one, I'm in Tennessee and B division, so I feel no bias. Maybe we should expand this to a top 15.
TSA's pretty cool... i guess

2015 events:
Essays on Technology, Tech Bowl, Water Infrastructure, Website Design
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

I don't see how being in TN/Div B or not makes bias, never was pointing that out (I can see that from your account, no worries). Most people have their bias with making this top 10, I'll make my own if/when that official top 10 thing comes around again on the site. What I meant was that those really good schools (Mounds View, WWPS, Camas, etc) have done quite well in the past. If you want to rank everyone through to the top 20 you can (is anyone against that?), but I think even if unexpected results can always be considered most people tend to go with safer predictions.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

Return to “2014 Nationals”