Cheese_Muffin_Man
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Unofficial Rankings C

Post by Cheese_Muffin_Man »

Crazy Puny Man wrote:
fozendog wrote:@Kentucky
Interesting... Troy & Solon will be close, but I think Solon will still win.
Poudre as a contender is interesting, definitely possible with their strong builds, but some studies are weak from last year.

My Top Ten:
1. Solon---Consistent team, but new coach could be a problem.
2. Troy---Always in the top. Early in the year at invites they did extremely well and most likely improved
3. Centerville---Consistent Ohio team, close between 3 and 4.
4. Seven Lakes---Done well throughout the year, close between 3 and 4.
5. Harriton---Lost a lot of their amazing seniors, will likely drop some places.
6. New Trier---Close between 6-8.
7. Adlai E. Stevenson---Close between 6-8.
8. Fayetteville-Manlius---Close between 6-8, interesting to see how they do without WM even at states to push them.
9. West Windsor Plainsboro South---Probably will improve from their 12th.
10. [Camas(a bit biased)/Mira Loma/Grand Haven]*

*Mira Loma---Lost by one point to Palo Alto, fighting to win and make a come back after a year off.
Grand Haven---Likely to come back from last year.
Camas---...We'll see ;)
I knew there were lots of great teams and our chances were on the slim side but...wow :o
Which of these teams do you guys think is best at builds?
nxtscholar
Division: Grad
State: NJ

Post by nxtscholar »

Well, doing it based on last year's results solely, we see that Harriton HS placed the most (I think in all actually) of the the build events. :P
Cheese_Muffin_Man

Post by Cheese_Muffin_Man »

nxtscholar wrote:Well, doing it based on last year's results solely, we see that Harriton HS placed the most (I think in all actually) of the the build events. :P
Ooo good call
fozendog
State: WA

Post by fozendog »

nxtscholar wrote:Well, doing it based on last year's results solely, we see that Harriton HS placed the most (I think in all actually) of the the build events. :P
But a lot of their seniors left and many of them have changed. One of their seniors who won most of the builds left, so I'm not sure if they will do as amazing in those as last year's results would tell.
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality
nxtscholar
State: NJ

Post by nxtscholar »

fozendog wrote:
But a lot of their seniors left and many of them have changed. One of their seniors who won most of the builds left, so I'm not sure if they will do as amazing in those as last year's results would tell.
I reiterate "based on last year's results solely." But what's to prevent that senior to come back and help out with the efforts. I mean, in terms of build events, I fail to see why a person can't leave behind tips, blueprints, drawings, etc. Testing events, it's more evident what the gap left behind graduating members will be...but I think you can always work around the graduation problem with build events.

But then again, what would I know about the national level :P
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Well he could, but he's probably also kinda busy at Penn State. ;) I would expect them to be strong, but they probably won't match the same performance.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
MHSscioly_1
State: OH

Post by MHSscioly_1 »

What do you think are Mason's or Mentor's chances of beating out either Solon or Centerville to get to Nationals this year? Based only off of Wright State, Mason seemed to have a strong team this year, but I'm not sure how they've done at other invitationals. Also, Mentor beat both Solon and Centerville at West Liberty Salem.
2014/2015 Events:
-Compound Machines, Green Generation, GeoLogic Mapping, and Mission Possible
hmcginny

Post by hmcginny »

nxtscholar wrote:
fozendog wrote:
I reiterate "based on last year's results solely." But what's to prevent that senior to come back and help out with the efforts. I mean, in terms of build events, I fail to see why a person can't leave behind tips, blueprints, drawings, etc. Testing events, it's more evident what the gap left behind graduating members will be...but I think you can always work around the graduation problem with build events.

But then again, what would I know about the national level :P
I think it's actually harder to work around the graduation problem for building events. For study/lab events there are cheat sheets, binders, numerous old tests and systems for success in place. The younger people involved in the event can fairly easily step up into the roles left by the graduating class in a lot of cases for that. Building seems to be a bit different, yes some people leave behind tips or drawings, or in a lot of cases their old devices. But a lot of what goes into building successfully is more than just having some references to work off of. If you were given pictures of a nationals winning device, it's usually not easy to figure out exactly what went into it and how one actually constructs it.

Not to say that Harriton won't come out and do well in builds, but I'd say there's more turn over with success in building events than with studies.
Harriton 2013 (Captain 2012-2013)
Penn 2017

2014 PA State Compound Machines Supervisor

Past Events: Fermi, Thermo, WIDI, Maglev, TPS, Chem Lab, Mission, Sounds, Trajectory, Mousetrap, etc.
Jdogg

Post by Jdogg »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:Well he could, but he's probably also kinda busy at Penn State. ;) I would expect them to be strong, but they probably won't match the same performance.
Lol it has been quite a busy last month... Thanks for all the kind words. But I have to agree with hmcginny. I have faith in those that have taken over the build events from me. They are very capable.

I must also say that although I left behind and worked with several kids and gave tips (always willing to when I have time for any team). It is really hard to judge how a team will do when you leave, but I think Harriton has been doing a excellent job this year.

I fully expect the two teams that represent pa to place top 10 at nationals. I think you will see the trend of 2 top 10 teams from pa again after the 2 years of the second team placing 14th. The competition has gotten very very competitive. I also think that will help PA as a whole over the next few years. I can easily see pa becoming the new ohio in c division. Frankly the top 5 teams from the SE regional in PA are all national caliber teams. Even last year I had a lower total summation of points at nationals then I did at the PA state tournament (13 in 6 events to the 8 in 5 events at nationals). So I think that also speaks to how competitive of a competition PA truly is.

All of that said, with the loss of 11 seniors (7 that competed), the juniors and other underclassmen have stepped up to fill the large shoes from last year. This is due to motivation that the students put on themselves to succeed in all legacy schools. (Also sorry to anyone that has asked me for the circuit lab key. I had to pull a few all nighters this week to do some work, I will post them most likely very early tmr morning around 2-3am.)
Harriton Class of 2013
Vice-Deputy of Avionics and Control for Lunar Lion
Assistant Coach of State College High School
taaffeite
State: NY

Post by taaffeite »

" FM hasn't been as strong recently, and LASA hasn't exactly been a powerhouse (they didn't even make nats last year). Ward had the worst luck of the bunch, they won't be there. What does this mean? "

Wouldn't count FM out. There was a new coach last year since their coach retired after making Nationals 14 straight years. They still came in 8th at Nationals with the new coach. And now the coach isn't new. They were strong at states with 10 Gold and 5 silver medals. Seems strong to me.

Return to “2014 Nationals”