Unofficial Rankings C

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Unofficial Rankings C

Post by syo_astro »

taaffeite wrote:" FM hasn't been as strong recently, and LASA hasn't exactly been a powerhouse (they didn't even make nats last year). Ward had the worst luck of the bunch, they won't be there. What does this mean? "

Wouldn't count FM out. There was a new coach last year since their coach retired after making Nationals 14 straight years. They still came in 8th at Nationals with the new coach. And now the coach isn't new. They were strong at states with 10 Gold and 5 silver medals. Seems strong to me.
To clarify further (perhaps someone from FM can correct me), but I think the coach wasn't quite "new". I believe I've seen him wearing a Canisius shirt before, and I'm pretty sure in general he's helped out coach, it's just that because their main coach retired, so he had to step up a bit. Outside that, FM has a good running in general with their students, and I think on the contrary this year was a better showing than last year. NYS especially in general has gotten quite competitive imo in recent years relative to past years, and I would think we'll definitely be sending competitive teams per usual. Even without Ward there, don't think my school and others haven't been pushing them (and them us). It's not like it's just easy to get to nats here :P.

As for Solon, my opinion is that they still can do quite well. IIRC they do mix up their teams at invites quite a lot...I think their overall record stands, and they can do quite well still. Even for Harriton, I still stand by the fact that schools that have a legacy have major advantages, though obviously not the only defining factor. Summary for me is, it'll be a very competitive nats this year.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
taaffeite
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by taaffeite »

The team of F-M's former head coach won States for 7 straight years when she was at a different school and another 14 times when she came to F-M. Her old school stopped winning when she left. The current head coach isn't new to SO but is new as the head coach. Last year was the first year without the coach who lead her team to Nationals for 21 years. That is a significant change. The current head coach is excellent, lead the team to Nationals his first year as head coach and is more experienced in the position now. Expect big thing!
kentuckyfan1001
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: OH

Post by kentuckyfan1001 »

taaffeite wrote:The team of F-M's former head coach won States for 7 straight years when she was at a different school and another 14 times when she came to F-M. Her old school stopped winning when she left. The current head coach isn't new to SO but is new as the head coach. Last year was the first year without the coach who lead her team to Nationals for 21 years. That is a significant change. The current head coach is excellent, lead the team to Nationals his first year as head coach and is more experienced in the position now. Expect big thing!
From what I've seen from FM's scores, FM does medal well in some events, but they bomb others. Examples: 2013 - XPD, Water Quality, Genes. 2012 - Chem Lab, WIDI. These were all sub-40 placings. Generally, medals only tell half of the picture - it's the non-placing events that matter most. If FM wants to get into top 5, it needs to reduced those bomb events down to at least 30s. Also, they get a lot of mid-20s 30s scores that need to be in the teens.

Again, I would love to be proven wrong, but that's what I've seen in terms of track record. In fact, when they did win in 2004, they did so despite bombs in a few events (ex: Bottle Rockets). This is not to take anything away from FM at all. They are an excellent team, and I think that's what they'd need to to take it to the next step. They certainly have the talent to get there.
-JZ Solon '12, Penn '16
2013 Helicopters PA State Supervisor
taaffeite

Post by taaffeite »

Can't disagree Kentucky.Every team has different challenges. F-M has 15 members who stay as a team from start to finish. There aren't a few extras to assign to a couple of events where there is conflict for states while others bow out of States but study for nationals.I wasn't on the A team but my impression is that switching events due to the wacky States schedule sometime means too much catch up for Nationals. But don't underestimate this team!
Cheese_Muffin_Man
Division: C

Post by Cheese_Muffin_Man »

Well, with all of this discussion, how well do you think they can do?
taaffeite

Post by taaffeite »

The sky's the limit!
Cheese_Muffin_Man

Post by Cheese_Muffin_Man »

taaffeite wrote:The sky's the limit!
Very true! But what placement can you see them getting? Earlier, people estimated 6th or 9th. I personally have no idea what they can do yet :)
taaffeite

Post by taaffeite »

Couldn't possibly speculate cause you can't tell. anything can happen. they'll place higher if they don't spend 15 hours traveling in an old yellow school bus without air and lower if they do. They will do great regardless.
PastorisFilius

Post by PastorisFilius »

What about Columbia High School, the other school going from New York? This is their first year going, and they had a great performance at states.
B: CJAP, Experimental Design, Fossils, Heredity, MagLev, Microbe Mission, Mission Possible, Road Scholar, Write It Do It
C: Entomology, Fossils, Geologic Mapping, Green Generation, Protein Modeling
fozendog
State: WA

Post by fozendog »

PastorisFilius wrote:What about Columbia High School, the other school going from New York? This is their first year going, and they had a great performance at states.
It will be very hard for them to do well at Nationals, not because of their ability, but simply because it is their first time going. First year nats. team don't generally do as well as expected...
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality

Return to “2014 Nationals”