Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Unofficial Rankings C

Post by kentuckyfan1001 »

Since I'm sorta out of scioly for a while, I'm not too concerned about posing my rankings. Please take my reasonings with a grain of salt; I'm obviously not that in the know and am speculating for most things.

I have a tie at the top because I think it's hard to say.
1. Solon - Yes, Solon has fallen behind in terms of depth, but I believe they have what it takes to win.
1. Troy - Consistency is key, and Troy proves to be always a safe pick for top 4. It's been a while since they've won, and I think they really want to take back a title.
3. Seven Lakes - They are out for blood, and WS is a good showing. Texas invitationals are good, so I think they can keep momentum.
4. Centerville - Centerville has dropped off just slightly in Ohio it seems, but no matter, I believe they can do top 4. They're always safe about their events, which is crucial for top nationals placings.
5. Adlai E. Stevenson - Daniel Wright's influence is about to hit it big for Stevenson. Seeing it first hand at Solon, I know what a dangerous MS does for HS.
6. New Trier - Like DW, Marie Murphy will help. The two IL teams will see a jump with a better infrastructure in place.
7. Harriton - They will have some dropoff because their seniors were good, but still will place top 10. Nonetheless, PA is strong, and they will keep at it to make sure they keep their state title, which will help them prepare for nationals.
8. Grand Haven - Though Grand Haven fell off a little last year, it never fails to come back to place historically. I think they've never placed out of top 10 in consecutive years, so I'm not banking on that to happen.
9. Fayetteville-Manlius - I think F-M has the potential to be in the top 5, but to me (wholly outsiders perspective), it seems like F-M focuses on medalling in certain events, but they can definitely get into top 10.
10. Mounds View - I think Luo has the biggest contribution, and him not being on the team will be a slight loss. Nonetheless, definitely see top 10 as a possibility.

Contenders: WWP-South, Penncrest, Camas, Mira Loma, LASA, Poudre
Reasons for not including LASA or Mira Loma: teams that didn't make it to nationals the previous year really have a harder time placing again (see: Penncrest, last year). WWP-South and Penncrest definitely have potential. Camas always seems to be in that 11th-15th range, as well as Poudre. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Please, don't take my rankings too seriously. I'm just trying to have some fun.
-JZ Solon '12, Penn '16
2013 Helicopters PA State Supervisor
Crazy Puny Man
State: IN

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

MMeteorite1 wrote:Not even sure if Centerville makes it out of Ohio. With that being said, where does Munster, Indiana fit into the discussion?
While it's true that we defeated Adlai Stevenson & New Trier at Palatine, New Trier's much more recent performance at West Liberty Salem forces me to reconsider where we stand relative to them.

I can only hope...

On a side note, Indiana states this weekend! :shock: Will update y'all as soon as I can :P
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

kentuckyfan1001 wrote:Since I'm sorta out of scioly for a while, I'm not too concerned about posing my rankings. Please take my reasonings with a grain of salt; I'm obviously not that in the know and am speculating for most things.

I have a tie at the top because I think it's hard to say.
1. Solon - Yes, Solon has fallen behind in terms of depth, but I believe they have what it takes to win.
1. Troy - Consistency is key, and Troy proves to be always a safe pick for top 4. It's been a while since they've won, and I think they really want to take back a title.
3. Seven Lakes - They are out for blood, and WS is a good showing. Texas invitationals are good, so I think they can keep momentum.
4. Centerville - Centerville has dropped off just slightly in Ohio it seems, but no matter, I believe they can do top 4. They're always safe about their events, which is crucial for top nationals placings.
5. Adlai E. Stevenson - Daniel Wright's influence is about to hit it big for Stevenson. Seeing it first hand at Solon, I know what a dangerous MS does for HS.
6. New Trier - Like DW, Marie Murphy will help. The two IL teams will see a jump with a better infrastructure in place.
7. Harriton - They will have some dropoff because their seniors were good, but still will place top 10. Nonetheless, PA is strong, and they will keep at it to make sure they keep their state title, which will help them prepare for nationals.
8. Grand Haven - Though Grand Haven fell off a little last year, it never fails to come back to place historically. I think they've never placed out of top 10 in consecutive years, so I'm not banking on that to happen.
9. Fayetteville-Manlius - I think F-M has the potential to be in the top 5, but to me (wholly outsiders perspective), it seems like F-M focuses on medalling in certain events, but they can definitely get into top 10.
10. Mounds View - I think Luo has the biggest contribution, and him not being on the team will be a slight loss. Nonetheless, definitely see top 10 as a possibility.

Contenders: WWP-South, Penncrest, Camas, Mira Loma, LASA, Poudre
Reasons for not including LASA or Mira Loma: teams that didn't make it to nationals the previous year really have a harder time placing again (see: Penncrest, last year). WWP-South and Penncrest definitely have potential. Camas always seems to be in that 11th-15th range, as well as Poudre. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Please, don't take my rankings too seriously. I'm just trying to have some fun.
Well, it's the first one I've seen with significant depth. I'm not in div C so i have no idea.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
fozendog
State: WA

Post by fozendog »

@Kentucky
Interesting... Troy & Solon will be close, but I think Solon will still win.
Poudre as a contender is interesting, definitely possible with their strong builds, but some studies are weak from last year.

My Top Ten:
1. Solon---Consistent team, but new coach could be a problem.
2. Troy---Always in the top. Early in the year at invites they did extremely well and most likely improved
3. Centerville---Consistent Ohio team, close between 3 and 4.
4. Seven Lakes---Done well throughout the year, close between 3 and 4.
5. Harriton---Lost a lot of their amazing seniors, will likely drop some places.
6. New Trier---Close between 6-8.
7. Adlai E. Stevenson---Close between 6-8.
8. Fayetteville-Manlius---Close between 6-8, interesting to see how they do without WM even at states to push them.
9. West Windsor Plainsboro South---Probably will improve from their 12th.
10. [Camas(a bit biased)/Mira Loma/Grand Haven]*

*Mira Loma---Lost by one point to Palo Alto, fighting to win and make a come back after a year off.
Grand Haven---Likely to come back from last year.
Camas---...We'll see ;)
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality
Crazy Puny Man
State: IN

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

fozendog wrote:@Kentucky
Poudre as a contender is interesting, definitely possible with their strong builds, but some studies are weak from last year.

My Top Ten:
2. Troy---Always in the top. Early in the year at invites they did extremely well and most likely improved
5. Harriton---Lost a lot of their amazing seniors, will likely drop some places.
8. Fayetteville-Manlius---Close between 6-8, interesting to see how they do without WM even at states to push them.

*Mira Loma---Lost by one point to Palo Alto, fighting to win and make a come back after a year off.
Camas---...We'll see ;)
I knew there were lots of great teams and our chances were on the slim side but...wow :o
Cheese_Muffin_Man
Division: C

Post by Cheese_Muffin_Man »

Crazy Puny Man wrote:
fozendog wrote:@Kentucky

My Top Ten:

Camas---...We'll see ;)
I knew there were lots of great teams and our chances were on the slim side but...wow :o
Which of these teams do you guys think is best at builds?
nxtscholar
State: NJ

Post by nxtscholar »

Well, doing it based on last year's results solely, we see that Harriton HS placed the most (I think in all actually) of the the build events. :P
Cheese_Muffin_Man
Division: C

Post by Cheese_Muffin_Man »

nxtscholar wrote:Well, doing it based on last year's results solely, we see that Harriton HS placed the most (I think in all actually) of the the build events. :P
Ooo good call
fozendog
State: WA

Post by fozendog »

nxtscholar wrote:Well, doing it based on last year's results solely, we see that Harriton HS placed the most (I think in all actually) of the the build events. :P
But a lot of their seniors left and many of them have changed. One of their seniors who won most of the builds left, so I'm not sure if they will do as amazing in those as last year's results would tell.
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality
nxtscholar
State: NJ

Post by nxtscholar »

fozendog wrote:
But a lot of their seniors left and many of them have changed. One of their seniors who won most of the builds left, so I'm not sure if they will do as amazing in those as last year's results would tell.
I reiterate "based on last year's results solely." But what's to prevent that senior to come back and help out with the efforts. I mean, in terms of build events, I fail to see why a person can't leave behind tips, blueprints, drawings, etc. Testing events, it's more evident what the gap left behind graduating members will be...but I think you can always work around the graduation problem with build events.

But then again, what would I know about the national level :P

Return to “2014 Nationals”