A national discussion:regional differences

fozendog
Division: Grad
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: A national discussion:regional differences

Post by fozendog »

It is interesting, however, to not have conflicts throughout your state, then making it to nationals and having to drop an event, giving it to another person to study. It does add to the team aspect because it takes away events from those who have many and gives them to those who have less or just not as many... food for thought.
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality
kentuckyfan1001
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: OH

Post by kentuckyfan1001 »

fozendog wrote:It is interesting, however, to not have conflicts throughout your state, then making it to nationals and having to drop an event, giving it to another person to study. It does add to the team aspect because it takes away events from those who have many and gives them to those who have less or just not as many... food for thought.
Yep...this is exactly why states with invitationals have an advantage. Since schedules are generally different for each invitational, a lot of schools in Ohio and Illinois have at least 2-6 students on a team that are at the least familiar with each event. Practice for your "a team" is part of the advantage of invitationals, but a big part is giving practice so that other people are familiar in the case of a conflict.

Either way, I can't stress this enough - I find scheduling difficult to be standardized, but at the least, I think states ought to try to keep the scoring system and the events as close to nationals as possible for state tournaments. Scheduling is just too difficult to standardize. At the team level, if a team wants to avoid bad conflicts, they should either host an invitational or go to one (of course, this is MUCH easier said than done.)
-JZ Solon '12, Penn '16
2013 Helicopters PA State Supervisor
Astroknight
Division: C
State: TN

Post by Astroknight »

kentuckyfan1001 wrote:
fozendog wrote:It is interesting, however, to not have conflicts throughout your state, then making it to nationals and having to drop an event, giving it to another person to study. It does add to the team aspect because it takes away events from those who have many and gives them to those who have less or just not as many... food for thought.
Yep...this is exactly why states with invitationals have an advantage. Since schedules are generally different for each invitational, a lot of schools in Ohio and Illinois have at least 2-6 students on a team that are at the least familiar with each event. Practice for your "a team" is part of the advantage of invitationals, but a big part is giving practice so that other people are familiar in the case of a conflict.

Either way, I can't stress this enough - I find scheduling difficult to be standardized, but at the least, I think states ought to try to keep the scoring system and the events as close to nationals as possible for state tournaments. Scheduling is just too difficult to standardize. At the team level, if a team wants to avoid bad conflicts, they should either host an invitational or go to one (of course, this is MUCH easier said than done.)
This can also be an advantage of having a second team (B team). Every year, our team promotes a few people from the B team after Regionals, as scheduling conflicts have been a problem for us.
TSA's pretty cool... i guess

2015 events:
Essays on Technology, Tech Bowl, Water Infrastructure, Website Design
haverstall
State: MN

Post by haverstall »

kentuckyfan1001 wrote:

Completely agree with this. Invites allow you to really explore your events, and with MN, since all our invites were in Wisconsin, we had to deal with their schedules which were different than our state schedule, which was different than Nats. It definitely allowed a lot of people to be more well-rounded in 5-6 events and made conflicts a lot easier to deal with.
Mounds View Science Olympiad 2008-2012 || 6th, Remote Sensing, 2011 Nationals

Co-Tournament Coordinator of Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational
Co-Chair of Minnesota Science Olympiad Alumni

Return to “2014 Nationals”