Has there ever been a miscounting of points?

seasalt_
Division: B
State: IA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Has there ever been a miscounting of points?

Post by seasalt_ »

Okay i know this sounds REALLY desperate, but my team only lost by 1 point and I'm really sad about it. Has there ever been a miscounting of points for the state competition? Like pretend team a got second and team b got first, but it turns out that team b actually didn't win. Would they let team A go on to nats instead? Sorry, I just really need some hope that this isn't the end for us. If that is really unlikely to happen, is there any chance there's something else that could've or could happen that would let the runner-up go to nats instead of them?
Schrodingerscat
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Has there ever been a miscounting of points?

Post by Schrodingerscat »

There was Nevada in 2012, when Clark High School was initially declared the winner, but Centennial High School discovered a scoring error (transposition of placings) too late. There was a huge fiasco, but Clark still went to nationals.
blockhead
State: NY

Post by blockhead »

Seasalt, are you asking this question because you believe that a mistake was made on a specific event or are you thinking that it would be beneficial to review the results of each event in the hopes of finding an error that, if corrected, would elevate your team?
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY

Post by Bazinga+ »

My scores were miscounted for 2 events at both regionals and invites, but the only reason we found out was because the regionals supervisor let us look at our tests. I doubt they will let you look at the scores for states and you have to notify them within 48 hours after the competition to make it count. It doesnt sound like you have that much time, but i am POSITIVE there was a miscount in the results. Now it could just as likely be not in your favour than in your favour, i dont know. The reason i know when a tech event was miscounted because me or someone else from my team always sits near my tech events and records the results of EVERY SINGLE TECH EVENT and then calculates the score. If we see that someone who didnt have a better score than someone else do better than them, we know somethings up.
Innovation =/= success
sciencegeek100
State: CA

Post by sciencegeek100 »

seasalt_ wrote:Okay i know this sounds REALLY desperate, but my team only lost by 1 point and I'm really sad about it. Has there ever been a miscounting of points for the state competition? Like pretend team a got second and team b got first, but it turns out that team b actually didn't win. Would they let team A go on to nats instead? Sorry, I just really need some hope that this isn't the end for us. If that is really unlikely to happen, is there any chance there's something else that could've or could happen that would let the runner-up go to nats instead of them?
well, 1 point is not as close as I know its been for my school before I got to it... they more than once tied and the tie breaker was most golds

anyway... its unlikely they mis counted points

although at nationals there were 2 teams with the same name (again b4 i got to it but its my school) and the wrong one was announced as getting a medal... and then they realize the mistake so the sad other teams has to come back to return the medals
Nationals History...

2008: Team 1st, Rocks 2nd
2009: Team 3rd, Fossils 7th
2010: Team 5th, Fossils 4th, Ornithology 7th Egg o Naut 6th
2011: Team 4th, Ornithology 3rd
2012: Team 2nd (Assistant Coach)
2013: Team 3rd (Assistant Coach)
Astroknight
State: TN

Post by Astroknight »

sciencegeek100 wrote:
seasalt_ wrote:Okay i know this sounds REALLY desperate, but my team only lost by 1 point and I'm really sad about it. Has there ever been a miscounting of points for the state competition? Like pretend team a got second and team b got first, but it turns out that team b actually didn't win. Would they let team A go on to nats instead? Sorry, I just really need some hope that this isn't the end for us. If that is really unlikely to happen, is there any chance there's something else that could've or could happen that would let the runner-up go to nats instead of them?
well, 1 point is not as close as I know its been for my school before I got to it... they more than once tied and the tie breaker was most golds

anyway... its unlikely they mis counted points

although at nationals there were 2 teams with the same name (again b4 i got to it but its my school) and the wrong one was announced as getting a medal... and then they realize the mistake so the sad other teams has to come back to return the medals
On that note, the 1996 National tournament allegedly had a tie for first, but since we don't have any form of results, we can't say for sure. Last year, J. C. Booth Middle School's score was somehow miscounted, so they ended up tying for 12th with Dodgen Middle School last year at Nationals.
TSA's pretty cool... i guess

2015 events:
Essays on Technology, Tech Bowl, Water Infrastructure, Website Design
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Astroknight wrote: On that note, the 1996 National tournament allegedly had a tie for first, but since we don't have any form of results, we can't say for sure. Last year, J. C. Booth Middle School's score was somehow miscounted, so they ended up tying for 12th with Dodgen Middle School last year at Nationals.
Without getting into specific details, I'll point you all to the official National Tournament Scoring Policy, which states:

At the end of the Science Olympiad National Tournament Awards Ceremony each team’s head coach will be provided one copy of the final scores. Places are tentative and may change if any scoring inconsistencies are brought to the attention of the arbitrators and verified within one hour after the ceremony is completed. If changes occur, the appropriate medals and trophies will be awarded. Teams will not be asked to return awards. In the rare case of a problem, call the National Tournament Director (head coach only). Scores for the National Science Olympiad are not official until they are posted on the soinc.org <http://soinc.org> website.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Astroknight
State: TN

Post by Astroknight »

chalker wrote:
Astroknight wrote: On that note, the 1996 National tournament allegedly had a tie for first, but since we don't have any form of results, we can't say for sure. Last year, J. C. Booth Middle School's score was somehow miscounted, so they ended up tying for 12th with Dodgen Middle School last year at Nationals.
Without getting into specific details, I'll point you all to the official National Tournament Scoring Policy, which states:

At the end of the Science Olympiad National Tournament Awards Ceremony each team’s head coach will be provided one copy of the final scores. Places are tentative and may change if any scoring inconsistencies are brought to the attention of the arbitrators and verified within one hour after the ceremony is completed. If changes occur, the appropriate medals and trophies will be awarded. Teams will not be asked to return awards. In the rare case of a problem, call the National Tournament Director (head coach only). Scores for the National Science Olympiad are not official until they are posted on the soinc.org <http://soinc.org> website.
I know this is kinda off topic, but where did the 1996 B results go?
TSA's pretty cool... i guess

2015 events:
Essays on Technology, Tech Bowl, Water Infrastructure, Website Design
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Astroknight wrote:[
I know this is kinda off topic, but where did the 1996 B results go?
Strange. I never noticed those were missing. I'll have to ask.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

seasalt_ wrote:<SNIP>Would they let team A go on to nats instead? <SNIP>
To late now, but the answer is: It depends on the scoring policy of that tournament.
MOST tournaments have a policy similar to the national policy. IF the problem is identified early enough, results (and invites to next level) can change. After a certain point (typically 24 to 48 hours), they are final and can't.
Bazinga+ wrote:<SNIP>The reason i know when a tech event was miscounted because me or someone else from my team always sits near my tech events and records the results of EVERY SINGLE TECH EVENT and then calculates the score. If we see that someone who didnt have a better score than someone else do better than them, we know somethings up.
I can see that sort of working, but how do you know how a team scored when test questions are involved (RoboCross or MagLev for examples) scores penalized due to lack of tech documentation (gliders or helicopter), or if a team has been tiered?

Regards,

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

Return to “2014 Nationals”