Has there ever been a miscounting of points?

kentuckyfan1001
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Has there ever been a miscounting of points?

Post by kentuckyfan1001 »

Astroknight wrote:
chalker wrote:
Astroknight wrote: On that note, the 1996 National tournament allegedly had a tie for first, but since we don't have any form of results, we can't say for sure. Last year, J. C. Booth Middle School's score was somehow miscounted, so they ended up tying for 12th with Dodgen Middle School last year at Nationals.
Without getting into specific details, I'll point you all to the official National Tournament Scoring Policy, which states:

At the end of the Science Olympiad National Tournament Awards Ceremony each team’s head coach will be provided one copy of the final scores. Places are tentative and may change if any scoring inconsistencies are brought to the attention of the arbitrators and verified within one hour after the ceremony is completed. If changes occur, the appropriate medals and trophies will be awarded. Teams will not be asked to return awards. In the rare case of a problem, call the National Tournament Director (head coach only). Scores for the National Science Olympiad are not official until they are posted on the soinc.org <http://soinc.org> website.
I know this is kinda off topic, but where did the 1996 B results go?
This has to do with a controversy - I believe Thomas Jefferson MS and Booth MS tied that year, and they had arbitrarily broke the tie and gave the title to TJ.
Either way, I believe that's why it's gone. I would love to see the score sheet though!
-JZ Solon '12, Penn '16
2013 Helicopters PA State Supervisor
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by gneissisnice »

Had that happen to us as well. When I was in 11th grade, we got 3rd at states by 9 points. Turns out that instead of 26th in Sounds of Music, we really got 2nd, there was some real questionable stuff going on with the grading for that.

We should have qualified for Nationals, but they never take away Nationals from a team that was told that qualified, so we didn't get to go. It really sucks, but there's nothing you can do about it.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
seasalt_
Division: B
State: IA
Been thanked: 0

Post by seasalt_ »

Thanks everyone! All your info was super helpful

Return to “2014 Nationals”