Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Swap Meet!

Post by Bazinga+ »

foreverphysics wrote:I'm actually somewhat curious as to who gave me the bracelet in the first place. I don't think it was anyone from this website, because I was wearing the scioly.org t-shirt and there was no recognition at all. But he was this short Indian kid with a plastic bag and a bag inside that plastic bag with the wristbands in it.
OH that was one of the people on the gelinas team. He was the only seventh grader on the team and he did experimental and simple machines for our team. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a scioly account though.
Innovation =/= success
awesome90220
Division: B
State: AL

Post by awesome90220 »

I think we should start a competition to see who got the best deal in the swap meet. Of course, no one will beat the guy I saw trade a rubix cube for a cheese hat.......... But I traded a Kansas license plate for a tote bag, a Brian Wilson bobblehead, a Chicago magnet, and a tiny t-shirt. I also got some black eyed susans seeds somewhere, but I lost them D: By the way, if anyone told you agricultural science was an event next year, that was me XD
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
Toms_42
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by Toms_42 »

awesome90220 wrote:I think we should start a competition to see who got the best deal in the swap meet. Of course, no one will beat the guy I saw trade a rubix cube for a cheese hat.......... But I traded a Kansas license plate for a tote bag, a Brian Wilson bobblehead, a Chicago magnet, and a tiny t-shirt. I also got some black eyed susans seeds somewhere, but I lost them D: By the way, if anyone told you agricultural science was an event next year, that was me XD
In 2012 my friend traded a few tee-shirts for an mp3 player, and this year many people on our team got headbands from the Japanese team.

My pride and joy is a purple heart license plate from Kentucky, and one that says "I care about kids" and looks like it was drawn in crayon.

I have a few things from the Alaska team, mostly trinkets. I stopped trading last year though, and I just enjoy walking around and meeting people/seeing other people's stuff/showing off my Gyarados hat.(Several people asked for photos with me and my friend with a Mudkip hat this year :D)

The highlight of the swap meet this year for me was a kid on my team finding the people he traded last year, whom he had previously given a squid hat for a parrot hat. This year, they both brought the same stuff back, and they traded back the squid hat/parrot hat to their original owners, a year later.
silverheart7
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 »

foreverphysics wrote: Do you know how happy you made that guy? He was just so thrilled because he did a Nice Thing for someone. Like, afterwards (both after the Opening Ceremony and on the way back from Orlando), he kept mentioning it because it just made him so happy that he was able to help someone. You should have given him a...thing or something.

In other news, the print on my WM bracelet is wearing off already, and it's been five days. I want another one.
Now that you mention it... I really should have. Oops. I can mail you another bracelet or two and a small gift for that guy, if you'd like?
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
humanbeingofearth548

Post by humanbeingofearth548 »

Toms_42 wrote:Hats are big, so are license plates. Things that light up, we always being light sabers. I don't really trade as much anymore though, I just watch people feel sad after I tell them I'm not trading my Gyarados hat :twisted:
I think I SAW YOU! I was walking around..but it was pretty crowded...But around I saw a guy (think you were in a dark colored shirt? Black maybe? But I forgot) WEARING A GYRADOS HAT! OhMyGLOB! I wanted to trade the hat..but I knew that the person would say no...
Did anyone see this guy that had a cheese hat and a moose hat...but the guy was willing to trade the cheese hat? Like he was screaming, "CHEESE HAT! ANYONE WANT TO TRADE WITH A CHEESE HAT!?"
2014 Events: Wheeled Vehicle
2015 Events: Entomology, Experimental Design, Fossils, Picture This
2016 Events: Experimental Design, Fossils, Picture This, Scrambler
Toms_42
State: PA

Post by Toms_42 »

humanbeingofearth548 wrote:
Toms_42 wrote:Hats are big, so are license plates. Things that light up, we always being light sabers. I don't really trade as much anymore though, I just watch people feel sad after I tell them I'm not trading my Gyarados hat :twisted:
I think I SAW YOU! I was walking around..but it was pretty crowded...But around I saw a guy (think you were in a dark colored shirt? Black maybe? But I forgot) WEARING A GYRADOS HAT! OhMyGLOB! I wanted to trade the hat..but I knew that the person would say no...
Did anyone see this guy that had a cheese hat and a moose hat...but the guy was willing to trade the cheese hat? Like he was screaming, "CHEESE HAT! ANYONE WANT TO TRADE WITH A CHEESE HAT!?"
Yeah that was me :)
I also was in the parade, carrying the PA flag for our team. (we were in the white glowing labcoats)
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

awesome90220 wrote:I think we should start a competition to see who got the best deal in the swap meet.
One of my teammates started off with no license plates and ended up with 4. Most (if not all) of his license plates were acquired through trading plastic slinkies and petoskey stones (the petoskey stones were provided to him by me because I suck at trading).

I brought a bunch of chert to trade, but I guess we (once again, I suck at trading) weren't able to find enough people in rocks and minerals because we left with a bunch of it. I also brought horn coral which didn't trade all that well either. And heck, even petoskey stones weren't that hot of a trade (mainly among those who didn't know what they are).

I also managed to trade phone numbers with someone.
humanbeingofearth548

Post by humanbeingofearth548 »

John Richardsim wrote:
awesome90220 wrote:I think we should start a competition to see who got the best deal in the swap meet.
One of my teammates started off with no license plates and ended up with 4. Most (if not all) of his license plates were acquired through trading plastic slinkies and petoskey stones (the petoskey stones were provided to him by me because I suck at trading).

I brought a bunch of chert to trade, but I guess we (once again, I suck at trading) weren't able to find enough people in rocks and minerals because we left with a bunch of it. I also brought horn coral which didn't trade all that well either. And heck, even petoskey stones weren't that hot of a trade (mainly among those who didn't know what they are).

I should have found you! Petoskey stones and hron coral seem really pretty and cool! One of my friends wanted a rock form Florida..but I was never able to find him one...
2014 Events: Wheeled Vehicle
2015 Events: Entomology, Experimental Design, Fossils, Picture This
2016 Events: Experimental Design, Fossils, Picture This, Scrambler
matthew101802
Division: B
State: IL

Post by matthew101802 »

John Richardsim wrote:

I started with 0 plates and got 3 for a stress ball, a water bottle and 2 folding frisbees. (All said SAA on it)
SO Events 2013 (JV)
Inv/R/S
Boom 3/1/-
Keep The Heat 1/1/-
Shock 1/3/-
Pentathlon -/-/2

SO Events 2014 (V)
Wright State/Lisle/R/S/N
WIDI 7/8/2/29/39
Robo 7/1/1/9/17
Shock 2/1/1/1/9
Simple 12/2/1/11/26

Kaboom!
Total Medal Count: 20
A Person
State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by A Person »

Toms_42 wrote: My pride and joy is a purple heart license plate from Kentucky, and one that says "I care about kids" and looks like it was drawn in crayon.
I think I have seen that plate before. I don't know if a member of a Kentucky team brought some of their old license plates, if it was the rival last year, or just another state with a KY plate that I remember having it, though. That's very cool how stuff circulates in the swap.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

Return to “2014 Nationals”