Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Best of Nationals 2014

Post by HeavyHitter406 »

Bazinga+ wrote:
humanbeingofearth548 wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote:My wheeled vehicle got 34th place at nats. I dont know if we could put that as 'best of nats'... but it just messed up at nats. It probably would have gotten top ten if it didnt screw up. We got scores of -10 to -15 sometimes with a speed of 1 sec
Woah..THAT FAST! AND THAT SMALL OF A SCORE! The highest I've ever gotten was probably -7...without messing up anything at all..(But my partner and I usually ALWAYS mess up SOMETHING)
yeah, same here. We screw up all the time... and that happened at nationals unfortunately. The bolt in our breaking system went loose and we only noticed before the second run but we didnt have time to fix it. The vehicle still stopped, but the calibration shifted with the bolt so the second run was like 20 cm off (the first was like 30...)
But still...1 second???? We thought our car was really fast and it's best was 1.6 seconds...But I know how you feel about your car, as our car failed at every competition before Nationals when it had been running fairly well before each competition. If your best was -10 to -15 that would certainly get top 3 at Nats. The problem with all the builds is that they are all luck, basically. The best car could have a bad day and the worst car could go straight for the first time ever....Ah well. Its not a good measurement of what the best car was. I feel ya about your car. :cry:
2014 (Wright State/Lisle/Grayslake/Regionals/State/Nationals)

Water Quality: 8/1/2/1/2/3
Experimental Design: 12/1/5/5/8/37
Road Scholar: 12/2/2/3/3/11
Wheeled Vehicle: 32/6/6/2/11/5
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by Bazinga+ »

HeavyHitter406 wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote:
humanbeingofearth548 wrote: Woah..THAT FAST! AND THAT SMALL OF A SCORE! The highest I've ever gotten was probably -7...without messing up anything at all..(But my partner and I usually ALWAYS mess up SOMETHING)
yeah, same here. We screw up all the time... and that happened at nationals unfortunately. The bolt in our breaking system went loose and we only noticed before the second run but we didnt have time to fix it. The vehicle still stopped, but the calibration shifted with the bolt so the second run was like 20 cm off (the first was like 30...)
But still...1 second???? We thought our car was really fast and it's best was 1.6 seconds...But I know how you feel about your car, as our car failed at every competition before Nationals when it had been running fairly well before each competition. If your best was -10 to -15 that would certainly get top 3 at Nats. The problem with all the builds is that they are all luck, basically. The best car could have a bad day and the worst car could go straight for the first time ever....Ah well. Its not a good measurement of what the best car was. I feel ya about your car. :cry:
yeah our car was all luck. This year i learned that you cannot make your vehicle too fast, or else there wont be enough traction to stop consistently.
Innovation =/= success
HeavyHitter406
State: IL

Post by HeavyHitter406 »

Agreed about the traction. Our braking was so inconsistent this year. The same axle rotation would sometimes be 20 cm over or 40 cm under. It's hard to know where to draw the line where you don't want your car to go too fast...and there's no real way to find out except tons of practice.
2014 (Wright State/Lisle/Grayslake/Regionals/State/Nationals)

Water Quality: 8/1/2/1/2/3
Experimental Design: 12/1/5/5/8/37
Road Scholar: 12/2/2/3/3/11
Wheeled Vehicle: 32/6/6/2/11/5
humanbeingofearth548

Post by humanbeingofearth548 »

Wait...shhouldn't we be posting this type of stuff in the Wheeled Vehicle page? Not thhe Best of Nationals 2014 page? 8-)
2014 Events: Wheeled Vehicle
2015 Events: Entomology, Experimental Design, Fossils, Picture This
2016 Events: Experimental Design, Fossils, Picture This, Scrambler
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by Bazinga+ »

Okay we can move there.
Innovation =/= success
magicalforest
State: NJ

Post by magicalforest »

Hey just a suggestion- maybe you guys could increase the visibility of the page by linking "Category: Best of Nationals" somewhere on the front page, Test Exchange, and/or Image Gallery.

I only stumbled upon the page after randomly wandering scioly.org. I know the page exists, but I can't find it anywhere through the site. The only way I find it again is by googling "Best of Nationals scioly" and the first result that always shows up is Best of Nats 2011. So say I want to look at Best of Nationals 2010, I would have to first click "Best of Nationals 2011", scroll down to the Category page, and then click Best of Nationals 2010.

I'm just saying the pages aren't easy to find and access, so I don't think too many people know about this.
chinesesushi
State: CA

Post by chinesesushi »

Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

One of the reasons it's been hard to find, I think, is because we don't have pages for 2013 or 2012. Thus, we are left with gaps on the table on the wiki main page, which sort of divert people's eyes elsewhere. I think the current location of the link is sufficient, and if a 2014 page is added hopefully more people will notice it.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

Return to “2014 Nationals”