Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events
alpacas
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C Question Marathon

Post by alpacas »

sorry about the hide function, I tried to use the command but it didn't work. I'll try and fix it.

Ok, at what temperature does a protostar become classified as a T-Tauri star? This sets it on what path on an HR Diagram?
foreverphysics
Division: Grad
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

Above 3,000 K (burning deuterium before this) but below 100 million K (the temperature required for fusion to start), and sets it on track for main sequence.
[size=10]Disclaimer: I haven't studied stellar evolution since May, so this is just from memory. Don't kill me if I'm wrong.[/size]
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
bbgun34

Post by bbgun34 »

[hide]That's gonna be 6740.33 F (or 4000 K, but you know) and it'll be on the Hayashi track. [/hide]

(Yeah so my hide apparently doesn't work either)

So what DSO is this, and what's the absolute magnitude of that bright star in the middle?

alpacas

Post by alpacas »

ngc3132, the star in the image is about absolute magnitude 0.3 (at least the progenitor star is)

Edit: sorry people I am having major technical difficulties with my "hide" function so I'm just writing the answer out for the sake of transparency
FawnOnyx
Division: Grad
State: MN

Post by FawnOnyx »

alpacas wrote: Edit: sorry people I am having major technical difficulties with my "hide" function so I'm just writing the answer out for the sake of transparency
I think you guys need a "|" character delimiter inbetween the hide tags to separate the heading of the hide block from the actual hidden content.

Example: [ hide]Hide Heading|Hide content[/hide] (without the first space displays:
Hide content
Mounds View Science Olympiad Alumnus, 2011-2014
MIT Science Olympiad Volunteer
bbgun34

Post by bbgun34 »

Alrighty I guess I'll put up another question k peeps:

So there's this one early-age main-sequence star, Del B7730, with absolute magnitude 4.6 and apparent magnitude 10.2. Suppose you were (magically) able to line up a bunch of one-inch (diameter) strawberry gum-balls (melt-resistant, totally a thing) from the sun to this star. If the total mass of these gum-balls is equal to the mass of B7730, what is the density, in kg/m^3, of one of these gum-balls? How many times (orders of magnitude) more or less is this than the density of a white dwarf and that of a neutron star?
alpacas

Post by alpacas »

density~1.92x10^14 kg/m^3

making them 10^5 x denser than white dwarfs, and 10^-3 x the density of neutron stars
hopefully. I hope you didn't want the distance to be measured trying to take into account the radius of Del b7730  ;) and the sun because well I didn't
bbgun34

Post by bbgun34 »

Well yeah, disregarding radius, but I'm getting 1.79x10^15 kg/m^3.
Anyone else have any ideas?

But in the meantime maybe I'll post a more mellow problem:

A huge 4000-Kelvin tomato behaves like a blackbody. If Larcie Curbh, the astronomer observing this cosmic tomato, gets sick if she sees anything with a wavelength of at most 7000 Angstroms, what must the radial velocity of this tomato be (and in which direction) so that Larcie gets sick?
alpacas

Post by alpacas »

1.1x10^7 m/s away from "Larcie"
imafish
State: NY

Post by imafish »

alpacas wrote:ngc3132, the star in the image is about absolute magnitude 0.3 (at least the progenitor star is)

Edit: sorry people I am having major technical difficulties with my "hide" function so I'm just writing the answer out for the sake of transparency
Hi,
How did you get absolute magnitude 0.3? Is it a given research number?
I'm still new to this event so I'm compiling resources right now.
Currently I know NGC 3132 is 550 pc away, and the brighter star has an apparent magnitude of 9.87
Using the distance modulus M-m=5-5log(d) > M=5-5log(550)+9.87 = 1.17
which is totally off...
Please help me! Thank you

Return to “2014 Question Marathons”