Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events
Sciolapedia
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Simple Machines B/Compound Machines C Question Marathon

Post by Sciolapedia »

I agree that wheel and axle is the main force and the wedge isn't. However other uses of the screwdriver could be as a wedge ,and since its a flathead it is easier as a wedge than other drivers
Algorhythmic

Post by Algorhythmic »

Yes, but if you're going to be that guy... :?

It's not the actual main purpose of screwdriver. If I was following that logic, I could just as easily say that a screw is a wedge because I can hit it with a sledgehammer into a block of wood. Just because something can be used as a wedge doesn't mean its a wedge.
Sciolapedia

Post by Sciolapedia »

That point makes sense. However since it is a flathead driver it has a triangular prism head shaped like a wedge. The shape resembles that of a knife or axe which r both wedges. I agree with u in the fact that it is not used as a wedge. But I think that it can be given its physical properties
chinesesushi
State: CA

Post by chinesesushi »

Going along with that logic, a screwdriver could also be used as a lever to pry open the top of can after wedging it in.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.
helicpters_rule
Division: B
State: OH

Post by helicpters_rule »

This should help http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictiona ... and%20axle read the definition of a wheel and axle and think if a screw driver fits THIS definition. (does it have a rope/chain)
chinesesushi

Post by chinesesushi »

Hardly appropriate to use a general dictionary to define a scientific term. In actuality, a "simple" machine such as a wheel and axle should be able to be drawn in the most primitive form, thus not necessitating the "groove" nor the "chain" in the dictionary definition.

Instead, this definition is more accurate: "The wheel and axle is generally considered to be a wheel attached to an axle so that these two parts rotate together in which a force is transferred from one to the other." (Wikipedia)

A screwdriver is, at its basic function, a wheel and axle, because the diameter of the handle is greater than the diameter of the shaft, leading to the increase in outputted energy in comparison with the inputted energy in order to turn a screw. However, it MAY be used as a wedge, and it MAY be used as a lever.
[img]http://www.ux1.eiu.edu/~cfadd/3050/Ch08Rot/Images/Painta.gif[/img]
In the scenario, the screw is wedged into the cap of a paint can, and an effort is on the handle end to provide a force for the resistance on the other end, with the fulcrum being the edge of the paint can, thus creating a first class lever.

In the original question, the screwdriver is identified as a "flat-head" screwdriver, in which case I would assume it to be also a wedge because a cross-head could not logically be a wedge, and that detail makes it a wedge. The other simple machine is an obvious wheel and axle.

FINALLY (in support of all of my points):
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_kind_of_a_simple_machine_is_a_screwdriver
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_simple_machine_is_a_screwdriver
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_type_of_simple_machine_is_a_screwdriver
http://www.solpass.org/z-site/3s/simple_machines-studyguide.htm
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080529142122AAjJE7T
Actually, the links only serve to identify the screwdriver as a variety of different simple machines. When its a flathead one though, it makes things slightly different. In the end, I don't think there will be a question this simple on the test but if there is, then a situation will most likely be pictured, such as a screwdriver tip under a paint can cap to act as a lever or rotating a screwdriver to act as a wheel and axle.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
helicpters_rule

Using Merriam-Webster's definition of a wheel and axle it can't be a wheel and axle but instead a lever but using Wikipedia it is a wheel and axle those are the 2 answers I was looking for so the best was chinesesushi because it can be used multiple ways. I personal believe it is a lever over a wheel and axle mainly because a wheel and axle is in the lever family and is basically just a lever.
chinesesushi

Post by chinesesushi »

helicpters_rule wrote:Using Merriam-Webster's definition of a wheel and axle it can't be a wheel and axle but instead a lever but using Wikipedia it is a wheel and axle those are the 2 answers I was looking for so the best was chinesesushi because it can be used multiple ways. I personal believe it is a lever over a wheel and axle mainly because a wheel and axle is in the lever family and is basically just a lever.
But then that's like saying there's really only two simple machines. Although partially true, it is clearly not the appropriate answer in this event.
helicpters_rule

But As you said "a "simple" machine such as a wheel and axle should be able to be drawn in the most primitive form" and a wheel and axle in its most primitive form, looking at how forces are applied and the movement it causes it is a lever, making a lever it just as good an answer as wheel and axle because they are the same thing if you don't accept Merriam-Webster's definition of a wheel and axle.
SWAnG
State: MN

Post by SWAnG »

helicpters_rule wrote:But As you said "a "simple" machine such as a wheel and axle should be able to be drawn in the most primitive form" and a wheel and axle in its most primitive form, looking at how forces are applied and the movement it causes it is a lever, making a lever it just as good an answer as wheel and axle because they are the same thing if you don't accept Merriam-Webster's definition of a wheel and axle.
Lever and Wheel Axle i think are pretty distinctly different though. I think it's a wheel axle because there is a transfer in force, the handle has a larger diameter then the shank or tip. And they're connected, like a wheel and axle, so I don't really see how it wouldn't be? U

Return to “2014 Question Marathons”