Dynamic Planet B/C Question Marathon

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events
Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 283
Joined: May 13th, 2001, 4:22 pm
Division: Grad
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Contact:

Dynamic Planet B/C Question Marathon

Postby Jim_R » August 28th, 2013, 8:20 pm

Question Marathon for Dynamic Planet B/C.
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.

mnstrviola
WikiMod
WikiMod
Posts: 433
Joined: February 15th, 2011, 5:45 pm
Division: Grad
State: CA
Location: IU Bloomington
Contact:

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C Question Marathon

Postby mnstrviola » September 1st, 2013, 9:10 pm

I guess I'll start off with an easy question. How can you tell the direction of a glacier's movement by looking at a drumlin? A roche moutonnee?

Crazy Puny Man
Member
Member
Posts: 265
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 6:25 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Contact:

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C Question Marathon

Postby Crazy Puny Man » September 2nd, 2013, 9:28 am

For both, the lee side points in the direction of the ice flow. For a drumlin, that is the less steep, sloping side. For a roche moutonnee, it's the opposite--the jagged, steeper side is the lee side and points in the direction of ice flow

EDIT: dang, I'm starting to like these question marathons already :)

mnstrviola
WikiMod
WikiMod
Posts: 433
Joined: February 15th, 2011, 5:45 pm
Division: Grad
State: CA
Location: IU Bloomington
Contact:

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C Question Marathon

Postby mnstrviola » September 2nd, 2013, 9:40 am

Correct! I think this means it's your turn to post a question :)

Crazy Puny Man
Member
Member
Posts: 265
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 6:25 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Contact:

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C Question Marathon

Postby Crazy Puny Man » September 2nd, 2013, 9:46 am

Aw butterfly. Um...

Name two factors that cause glaciers to flow.

Also, a somewhat related question...

Name and describe the ways a glacier moves.

This question (the latter) has kinda bothered me in the past, since I had a lot of information on glacier movement and I didn't really know what to put for this question (that is, I couldn't articulate my answer), and I have a decent idea of what I would put for this question, and I want to see what other people would put

EDIT: should we [hide] our answers?

mrburrito
Member
Member
Posts: 122
Joined: March 4th, 2013, 4:13 pm
Division: B
State: TN
Location: Does anyone actually use this the right way?
Contact:

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C Question Marathon

Postby mrburrito » September 4th, 2013, 5:48 pm

First year doing this :) , so I am ignorant :( , but I'll try without using resources :geek: . For part a: A downwards slope, and pressure buildup. For part b: Slowly and unpredictably :?: :?

When this gets called wrong, explain the answer please.
I bet you had to read this twice

Meliores Sumus Te

Visit my Wiki page: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Mrburrito

Crazy Puny Man
Member
Member
Posts: 265
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 6:25 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Contact:

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C Question Marathon

Postby Crazy Puny Man » September 4th, 2013, 6:50 pm

mrburrito wrote:First year doing this :) , so I am ignorant :( , but I'll try without using resources :geek: . For part a: A downwards slope, and pressure buildup. For part b: Slowly and unpredictably :?: :?

When this gets called wrong, explain the answer please.


Um...no...

How about this, try looking up the answer yourself. I'm sure you'll find some good resources in the process from which you can study as well :)

C'mon, there has to be someone out there who knows this! Fozen? PacificGoldenPlover? (can I please just call you "Plover" from now on for convenience? :P)

User avatar
fozendog
Member
Member
Posts: 193
Joined: April 17th, 2012, 5:51 pm
Division: Grad
State: WA
Location: Camas
Contact:

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C Question Marathon

Postby fozendog » September 4th, 2013, 7:04 pm

Crazy Puny Man wrote:there has to be someone out there who knows this! Fozen? PacificGoldenPlover?


From now on, put Pacific's name first, then after thousands of spaces you can put mine... Pacific is uber good at DP

And if the answer isn't posted by the time I finish my HW I will look into it :P
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality

mrburrito
Member
Member
Posts: 122
Joined: March 4th, 2013, 4:13 pm
Division: B
State: TN
Location: Does anyone actually use this the right way?
Contact:

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C Question Marathon

Postby mrburrito » September 5th, 2013, 3:11 pm

Ok, pressure and gravity, so I was partially correct.

And umm basal sliding, which is when glaciers slide over the terrain it's on, lubricated by liquid water.

I think that's right.
I bet you had to read this twice

Meliores Sumus Te

Visit my Wiki page: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Mrburrito

User avatar
ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 189
Joined: January 1st, 2013, 2:43 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C Question Marathon

Postby ScienceOlympian » September 5th, 2013, 3:39 pm

mrburrito wrote:Ok, pressure and gravity, so I was partially correct.

And umm basal sliding, which is when glaciers slide over the terrain it's on, lubricated by liquid water.

I think that's right.


Also, some glaciers move because internal ice crystals move past one another based on conditions (temperature, weight, pressure). Usually, the top layers of a glacier move quicker than the bottom layers.
Is this right? Thanks.
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology
ScienceOlympian's Userpage

Crazy Puny Man
Member
Member
Posts: 265
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 6:25 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Contact:

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C Question Marathon

Postby Crazy Puny Man » September 5th, 2013, 5:45 pm

@Fozen: I'd like to think I'm kinda good at DP, I was 6th...but Pacific won :shock: And took medals in two other ID events :shock: :shock: So of course he owns everyone's butterfly :P

@burrito & ScienceOlympian: for the first part, the answer I was looking for was gravity & internal deformation of ice. I think that's on Wikipedia word for word.

For the second part of the answer, I was thinking (1) basal slip (2) plastic flow (includes plastic deformation, creep, & folding & fracturing) (3) subglacial bed deformation and (4) surges <-- I was iffy on this one. I didn't think surges were technically a WAY that glaciers move, but after taking some tests and going to invites last year it seemed like it was. Also, for number 2 I would've also put stress/strain, and supplied equations for that too, but then I reasoned that plastic flow of glacier ice is due to stress/strain -_- Fail moments...

Pacific, can you confirm/explain if surges are technically a way which a glacier moves?

Also, ScienceOlympian, what you described was plastic flow, and that's due to the structure of ice and weak molecular bonds between layers of atoms of ice, and that's why ice flows, blablabla which is what you were saying I think.

Yes, the top does flow faster than the bottom due to pressure/abrasion, & the middle flows faster than the edges because the edges are thinner & more brittle, and are more subject to friction (in mountain glaciers)

User avatar
EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2678
Joined: January 17th, 2009, 7:32 am
Division: Grad
State: MD
Location: At work trying to be a real adult
Contact:

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C Question Marathon

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » September 6th, 2013, 1:36 pm

I do not have much experience with Glaciers, but wouldn't pressure be a partial cause of internal deformation?
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki


If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

Crazy Puny Man
Member
Member
Posts: 265
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 6:25 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Contact:

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C Question Marathon

Postby Crazy Puny Man » September 6th, 2013, 5:07 pm

Pressure is due to the weight of the ice (gravity), the way I see it. The internal deformation of ice accounts for ice's special property of plastic deformation.

User avatar
PacificGoldenPlover
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 514
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 6:51 pm
Division: Grad
State: CA
Location: Somewhere where you don't normally see Pacific Golden Plovers
Contact:

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C Question Marathon

Postby PacificGoldenPlover » September 6th, 2013, 9:12 pm

Crazy Puny Man wrote:@Fozen: I'd like to think I'm kinda good at DP, I was 6th...but Pacific won :shock: And took medals in two other ID events :shock: :shock: So of course he owns everyone's butterfly :P

@burrito & ScienceOlympian: for the first part, the answer I was looking for was gravity & internal deformation of ice. I think that's on Wikipedia word for word.

For the second part of the answer, I was thinking (1) basal slip (2) plastic flow (includes plastic deformation, creep, & folding & fracturing) (3) subglacial bed deformation and (4) surges <-- I was iffy on this one. I didn't think surges were technically a WAY that glaciers move, but after taking some tests and going to invites last year it seemed like it was. Also, for number 2 I would've also put stress/strain, and supplied equations for that too, but then I reasoned that plastic flow of glacier ice is due to stress/strain -_- Fail moments...

Pacific, can you confirm/explain if surges are technically a way which a glacier moves?

Also, ScienceOlympian, what you described was plastic flow, and that's due to the structure of ice and weak molecular bonds between layers of atoms of ice, and that's why ice flows, blablabla which is what you were saying I think.

Yes, the top does flow faster than the bottom due to pressure/abrasion, & the middle flows faster than the edges because the edges are thinner & more brittle, and are more subject to friction (in mountain glaciers)


Who woke me up?

I guess you could consider surges to be a form of glacial motion, but I see it as more of a result of basal slip that happens to be cyclical and more dramatic, since essentially surges occur because of regular accumulations of subglacial water.

And yeah it's fine to call me plover.
Life List: n. A list of bird species definitively seen by a birdwatcher.
PacificGoldenPlover's Life List : 319
Most recent lifer: Red-throated Loon

2014 (Mira Loma/Troy/Regionals/States/Nationals)
Dynamic Planet (2/2/1/1/1)
Designer Genes (1/4/1/13 (???)/13 (figures)
Water Quality (1/1/3/1/3)

Crazy Puny Man
Member
Member
Posts: 265
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 6:25 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Contact:

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C Question Marathon

Postby Crazy Puny Man » September 7th, 2013, 10:22 am

Or because of mass accumulations.

But yeah, that's what I thought. I mean, my partner thought surges WERE a way that glaciers move, and at one of the invites I went to, surges was one of the answers to that type of question...

Whatever. I know what I'll do with that question now


Return to “2014 Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest