Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events
Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Entomology B/C ID/Question Marathon

Post by Jim_R »

ID Thread and Question Marathon for Entomology B/C.
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
Tiktaalik
Division: C
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Re: Entomology B/C ID/Question Marathon

Post by Tiktaalik »

Awesome! I'll start. I saw a lot of this species of insect on a plant in my backyard this summer (hint: this plant is also a favorite of aphids, monarch butterflies, green lacewings, and lady beetles. If you really like insect ecology, get one of these plants).
[img]http://www.duskyswondersite.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/cater-milkweed-tussock-moth-caterpillar.jpg[/img]
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

Take the orange out and it looks like my neighbor's dog. Awesome photo. Some sort of butterfly.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
havenguy

Post by havenguy »

Well, it's in the order lepidoptera.

I'm not trying to split hairs, but there is a list: http://www.soinc.org/sites/default/file ... st2014.pdf, and it doesn't seem that we have to know the larval/caterpillar form for more than three moth/butterfly families. Is it in one of those families? From what I've seen of them, it's not, but I may be wrong.

Anyway, I have no idea what family it's in, but then again, I haven't started studying yet.
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
Tiktaalik

Post by Tiktaalik »

havenguy wrote:Well, it's in the order lepidoptera.

I'm not trying to split hairs, but there is a list: http://www.soinc.org/sites/default/file ... st2014.pdf, and it doesn't seem that we have to know the larval/caterpillar form for more than three moth/butterfly families. Is it in one of those families? From what I've seen of them, it's not, but I may be wrong.

Anyway, I have no idea what family it's in, but then again, I haven't started studying yet.
The family that it's in is on the list, but I guess it's one of the ones you need to know the larval form for (which is strange, because the insects of this family have some pretty well-known and interesting larval forms.
[img]http://bugguide.net/images/cache/Q0W0R090DQ7QNRFK9R0QTR7QYR90FRXQYRU03Q80OQ3K1RG09RFK9RZQTQI09RG0UR40S0MQDRU03RMQJRMQ1R40.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Tiktaalik on September 1st, 2013, 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henceagrin36
State: TX

Post by henceagrin36 »

The family that it's in is on the list, but I guess it's one of the ones you need to know the larval form for (which is strange, because the insects of this family have some pretty well-known and interesting larval forms.
http://bugguide.net/images/cache/Q0W0R090DQ7QNRFK9R0QTR7QYR90FRXQYRU03Q80OQ3K1RG09RFK9RZQTQI09RG0UR40S0MQDRU03RMQJRMQ1R40.jpg
Entomology test doesn't need species, right? If it did, the test would be horrific.
Order is Lepidoptera, of course. Is the family Arctiidae? I got confused a bit since it goes by both Milkweed Tussock Moth and Milkweed Tiger Moth.
The University of Texas at Austin
Longhorn Science Olympiad Alumni Association
William P. Clements High School Alumni

2014 Science Olympiad National Tournament
Rocks & Minerals - 1st Place
GeoLogic Mapping - 1st Place
Entomology - 2nd Place

"I love bridge"
"Rock on"
Tiktaalik

Post by Tiktaalik »

henceagrin36 wrote:
[img]http://bugguide.net/images/cache/Q0W0R090DQ7QNRFK9R0QTR7QYR90FRXQYRU03Q80OQ3K1RG09RFK9RZQTQI09RG0UR40S0MQDRU03RMQJRMQ1R40.jpg[/img]
Entomology test doesn't need species, right? If it did, the test would be horrific.
Order is Lepidoptera, of course. Is the family Arctiidae? I got confused a bit since it goes by both Milkweed Tussock Moth and Milkweed Tiger Moth.
Correct on all accounts! Your turn.
And no species? Really? I know there are a lot of species but almost all are pretty easily distinguished from one another.
Last edited by Tiktaalik on September 2nd, 2013, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
henceagrin36

Post by henceagrin36 »

And no species? Really? I know there are a lot of species but almost all are pretty easily distinguished from one another.
Yay! :D Here's the next one. We're just getting started, so here's a pretty easy one!
[img]http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4136/4891868874_3382a77b25_z.jpg[/img]
I'm pretty sure that the test only asks for orders and species. I agree with you that they're all easily distinguishable, but that's still a lot of species to know. =__=
The University of Texas at Austin
Longhorn Science Olympiad Alumni Association
William P. Clements High School Alumni

2014 Science Olympiad National Tournament
Rocks & Minerals - 1st Place
GeoLogic Mapping - 1st Place
Entomology - 2nd Place

"I love bridge"
"Rock on"
wufactor2012

Post by wufactor2012 »

[hide]order: Hymenoptera, family: Mutillidae[/hide]
Tiktaalik

Post by Tiktaalik »

Wufactor already got it, but I'll just throw in that it's a
Dasymutilla occidentalis (specifically a female); I love cow killers!

Return to “2014 Question Marathons”