Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events
Pupitre
Division: C
State: RI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Geologic Mapping C Question Marathon

Post by Pupitre »

elephantower wrote:Those slickensides! I actually can't believe I forgot about them... The three environments are (1) undaform for shallow water overlying the shelf, (2) clinoform for the deeper water overlying the slope, and (3) fondoform for the deepest water covering the bottom of the basin (I might have misspoken and said 4 in my original question, sorry :oops: ). They're not really that important, but still worth knowing. How are those next 4 questions coming?
Ugh you're killing me here :P Ok. I think I have a couple. By the way, what kind would you like me to give you in the future? Calculation? Identification? Also, have you taken the Wright State Invitational test?

1. What type of folds are depicted in this folding sequence?

2. A fault plane is intersected by two mine drifts. One of the drifts has a plunge of 350/20 and the other has a plunge of 275/32. What is the attitude of the fault plane?

3. Explain what is meant by competence.

4. What are the red structures?
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/Phacolith.jpg[/img]
I'll probably put up some problems similar to the ones in Geologic Structure and Maps: A Practical Guide but I feel like most people have probably used that before.
Pupitre

Post by Pupitre »

elephantower wrote:Noice! :D I was worried that boudinage question was a bit too hard...how are the sedimentary environments coming?
1. It depends on the information given. If you have stratigraphy information from well logs look for omitted and duplicated layers. If you have a cross-section look for  strata that don't line up or seem to be tilted along a line and imbricate fills/fans, if you have a geologic map look for fault symbols, potential orogenic zones (ie mountains), deformed rocks, oceanic ridges (only for oceans obviously) klippes and fensters (for a reverse fault), and, of course roads mysteriously that stop and start up again 50 feet to the side  :P I'm not really sure what you're looking for, it seems like there are a ton of possible answers.
2. A short magnetic history of the earth? I'm pretty that's no longer on the rules, although it may still fall under basic earth history? Either way, I don't really know what to say, except that the Earth's magnetic axis wobbles, and makes a complete loop around the earth's axis every ~5000 years, it can also go on excursions (fun time for the whole magnetic family!), where it wanders significantly from the geographic pole, or inversions, where the magnetic field reverses, every few thousand years. In the  the last 76 million years, 171 inversions have occurred. 
Magnetic history overlayed on geologic time scale:
[img]http://s29.postimg.org/n8z6hiarb/Screenshot_2014_05_05_at_6_28_49_PM.png[/img]
More questions:
1.Image
Instead of doing the cross-section and parts c and d, determine the minimum net slip of the fault.
2. What are geoblemes and astroblemes (no google please, just your notes)?
3. Name 2 primary igneous and 2 primary sedimentary structures.
4. What feature of thixotropic clay makes it so dangerous?
Knowledge questions don't seem to faze you, so I gave you a lot more this time around.
1. I'll edit this post with the answer when I get it, my brain hurts right now :P
2. Going based upon my fairly limited knowledge of etymology and glancing over my whopping one sentence definition of cryptoexplosions, I'm going to say that an astrobleme is a crater caused by an extraterrestrial rock/projectile and a geobleme is a crater caused by a terrestrial rock/projectile. EDIT: My definition of geobleme actually doesn't make a whole lot of sense... idk maybe pressure from within the Earth causes a geobleme? Mind explaining?
3. I'm not entirely sure what this one is asking, but two primary igneous structures could be intrusions and possibly volcanic rock? Or are you looking for more specific types of intrusions? Sedimentary structures could include graded and cross bedding?
4. Thixotropy is the property of a substance to have a lower viscosity when agitated, so if you were to step in thixotropic clay, it would begin to flow and you would begin to sink similar to quicksand?
elephantower
State: AZ

Post by elephantower »

No I haven't taken the Wright State Invitational (our team is poor and lives in the Southwest, we can't travel to invies). Could you post it on the Test Exchange if you have it? Also, for problems, I need knowledge and analytical (calculations). My partner is taking care of stereonet and other construction (eg 3-point problem) questions, though, so I'd appreciate a few questions to intimidate him with :evil: Also, please no more from the Practical Guide!

answers
1. Ptygmatic fold (thanks, binder!)
2. Stereonets! Run! Don't worry I'll ask my partner this one... you can't do this analytically, right?
3. Definitions of competence: 
         1. responding to my other 4 questions
         2. the quality of being resistant to deformation, not ductile
4. Hydrocarbon deposits?
[S/N]
N/A = didn't compete

2013:
Geologic Mapping: 1, 2
Designer Genes: 3, :(
Astronomy: N/A, :(
2014:
Geologic Mapping: 1, N/A
Protein Modelling: 1, N/A
It's About Time: 1, N/A
Forensics: 9, N/A
2015:
Geologic Mapping: 1, ?
Hydrogeology: 1, ?
It's About Time: 1, ?
Forensics: 10, ?
elephantower

Post by elephantower »

Oh hey you answered while I answered!
[S/N]
N/A = didn't compete

2013:
2014:
2015:
Pupitre

Post by Pupitre »

elephantower wrote:No I haven't taken the Wright State Invitational (our team is poor and lives in the Southwest, we can't travel to invies). Could you post it on the Test Exchange if you have it? Also, for problems, I need knowledge and analytical (calculations). My partner is taking care of stereonet and other construction (eg 3-point problem) questions, though, so I'd appreciate a few questions to intimidate him with :evil: Also, please no more from the Practical Guide!

answers
1. Ptygmatic fold (thanks, binder!)
2. Stereonets! Run! Don't worry I'll ask my partner this one... you can't do this analytically, right?
3. Definitions of competence: 
         1. responding to my other 4 questions
         2. the quality of being resistant to deformation, not ductile
4. Hydrocarbon deposits?
YES I GOT YOU ON THE LAST ONE! Would you like me to tell you? And you can solve it by drawing a diagram with a ruler and protractor as well (number 2). Also, our team as well is dirt poor and we don't go anywhere but someone here was nice enough to send it to me, I'd be happy to do the same for you.
elephantower

Post by elephantower »

Noooooo! xD Ok fine I see, it's a lopolith. I still think it could be an oil deposit though:
And yes, I'd love the Wright State invitational, but why not put it on the exchange? Also, ruler and protractor is still construction, not analytical math.
Last edited by elephantower on May 5th, 2014, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[S/N]
N/A = didn't compete

2013:
2014:
2015:
Pupitre

Post by Pupitre »

elephantower wrote:Noooooo! xD Ok fine I see, it's a lopolith. I guess I wouldn't have much future as a petroleum engineer ("well, we drilled where you told us to, and we hit something large and black and hard--I don't think it's oil"). I still think it could be an oil deposit though:
And yes, I'd love the Wright State invitational, but why not put it on the exchange?
Uh yeah its a lopolith, or argument could be made for a phacolith because those are just super cool. And yeah I'll put it up, but knowing how technologically inept I am, I'll send you the link too.

EDIT: And don't think I've been ignoring your jokes, they're funny :P My sense of humor is a little warped around 11:30 PM so my posts are lacking any comedy (probably a good thing or else I might start putting geology puns into my questions)

EDIT #2: Oh yeah sorry my bad. I just have an overwhelming distaste for stereonets, I can handle like orthogonal diagram problems, but only barely :P
elephantower

Post by elephantower »

Ohh I forgot to give you comments on your answers:
1. TBH I don't know the answer either, I was hoping you could help.
2. Good job for connecting it to cryptoexplosions, your edited definition of geobleme (that is, pressure/volcanism) and your astrobleme definition are both right.
3. Yeah, I mean igneous sub structures (like the sedimentary structures you gave), not intrusions.
4. Give the reason that that property of thixotropic clay is applicable to this event (what does it cause?).
[S/N]
N/A = didn't compete

2013:
2014:
2015:
Pupitre

Post by Pupitre »

elephantower wrote:Ohh I forgot to give you comments on your answers:
1. TBH I don't know the answer either, I was hoping you could help.
2. Good job for connecting it to cryptoexplosions, your edited definition of geobleme (that is, pressure/volcanism) and your astrobleme definition are both right.
3. Yeah, I mean igneous sub structures (like the sedimentary structures you gave), not intrusions.
4. Give the reason that that property of thixotropic clay is applicable to this event (what does it cause?).
As an edit to my answer to number 3, would pillow lava and columnar jointing count? Or am I still missing something?
nomynameisnotkevin
State: IL

Post by nomynameisnotkevin »

Can anyone give an overview of what you do for Stereonets? I know something like great circles and whatever, but like what do I need to do to actually earn the points they want to plot stuff.

Return to “2014 Question Marathons”