Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events
elephantower
Division: C
State: AZ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Geologic Mapping C Question Marathon

Post by elephantower »

Noooooo! xD Ok fine I see, it's a lopolith. I still think it could be an oil deposit though:
And yes, I'd love the Wright State invitational, but why not put it on the exchange? Also, ruler and protractor is still construction, not analytical math.
Last edited by elephantower on May 5th, 2014, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[S/N]
N/A = didn't compete

2013:
Geologic Mapping: 1, 2
Designer Genes: 3, :(
Astronomy: N/A, :(
2014:
Geologic Mapping: 1, N/A
Protein Modelling: 1, N/A
It's About Time: 1, N/A
Forensics: 9, N/A
2015:
Geologic Mapping: 1, ?
Hydrogeology: 1, ?
It's About Time: 1, ?
Forensics: 10, ?
Pupitre
State: RI

Post by Pupitre »

elephantower wrote:Noooooo! xD Ok fine I see, it's a lopolith. I guess I wouldn't have much future as a petroleum engineer ("well, we drilled where you told us to, and we hit something large and black and hard--I don't think it's oil"). I still think it could be an oil deposit though:
And yes, I'd love the Wright State invitational, but why not put it on the exchange?
Uh yeah its a lopolith, or argument could be made for a phacolith because those are just super cool. And yeah I'll put it up, but knowing how technologically inept I am, I'll send you the link too.

EDIT: And don't think I've been ignoring your jokes, they're funny :P My sense of humor is a little warped around 11:30 PM so my posts are lacking any comedy (probably a good thing or else I might start putting geology puns into my questions)

EDIT #2: Oh yeah sorry my bad. I just have an overwhelming distaste for stereonets, I can handle like orthogonal diagram problems, but only barely :P
elephantower

Post by elephantower »

Ohh I forgot to give you comments on your answers:
1. TBH I don't know the answer either, I was hoping you could help.
2. Good job for connecting it to cryptoexplosions, your edited definition of geobleme (that is, pressure/volcanism) and your astrobleme definition are both right.
3. Yeah, I mean igneous sub structures (like the sedimentary structures you gave), not intrusions.
4. Give the reason that that property of thixotropic clay is applicable to this event (what does it cause?).
[S/N]
N/A = didn't compete

2013:
2014:
2015:
Pupitre

Post by Pupitre »

elephantower wrote:Ohh I forgot to give you comments on your answers:
1. TBH I don't know the answer either, I was hoping you could help.
2. Good job for connecting it to cryptoexplosions, your edited definition of geobleme (that is, pressure/volcanism) and your astrobleme definition are both right.
3. Yeah, I mean igneous sub structures (like the sedimentary structures you gave), not intrusions.
4. Give the reason that that property of thixotropic clay is applicable to this event (what does it cause?).
As an edit to my answer to number 3, would pillow lava and columnar jointing count? Or am I still missing something?
nomynameisnotkevin
State: IL

Post by nomynameisnotkevin »

Can anyone give an overview of what you do for Stereonets? I know something like great circles and whatever, but like what do I need to do to actually earn the points they want to plot stuff.
Pupitre

Post by Pupitre »

nomynameisnotkevin wrote:Can anyone give an overview of what you do for Stereonets? I know something like great circles and whatever, but like what do I need to do to actually earn the points they want to plot stuff.
There is a great set of youtube videos that I learned from. Here is the first one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBJndEjCINw go to this lady's channel and look at the rest.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

nomynameisnotkevin wrote:Can anyone give an overview of what you do for Stereonets? I know something like great circles and whatever, but like what do I need to do to actually earn the points they want to plot stuff.
I know Pupitre posted. But I recommend checking the wiki btw. In addition, post on the topic for the event. This is the question marathon where I see elephant and Pupitre have added quite a number of questions XD.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
elephantower

Post by elephantower »

Quite a number indeed. Care to join us, syo? Seriously, though, I need you to take a look at the fault one I posted (calculating heave, throw, etc). Neither of us can figure out how to do it...
And yes, that's what I was looking for, pupitre. Nice job.
Last question of the night for me:
Give a name for each labeled intrusion (for eroded features, give the name of the intrusion exposed) [img]http://s27.postimg.org/elqihq8tv/Screenshot_2014_05_06_at_2_28_33_PM.png[/img]
Last edited by elephantower on May 6th, 2014, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[S/N]
N/A = didn't compete

2013:
2014:
2015:
Pupitre

Post by Pupitre »

elephantower wrote:Quite a number indeed. Care to join us, syo? Seriously, though, I need you to take a look at the fault one I posted (calculating heave, throw, etc). Neither of us can figure out how to do it...
And yes, that's what I was looking for, pupitre. Nice job.
Last question of the night for me:
Give a name for each labeled intrusion (for eroded features, give the name of the intrusion exposed) [img]http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/geology/publications/state/tx/1968-7/images/fig24.jpg[/img]
What are those arrows referring to? Do they signify that two intrusions are the same or something? Otherwise, I have a few answers and I'll edit this as I get more.

A: Volcanic Neck
C: Sill
E: Batholith? or just a Stock?
J: Dike
G: Laccolith
F: Cinder Cone?
H: Some kind of radial dike formation?

Not sure on a lot of these.
elephantower

Post by elephantower »

Uhh yeah that's what the arrows do--a major flaw with this diagram. Ignore them?
OK the arrows were very sloppily fixed--pretend they were never there?
[S/N]
N/A = didn't compete

2013:
2014:
2015: