Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events
elephantower
Division: C
State: AZ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Geologic Mapping C Question Marathon

Post by elephantower »

OK if you want you can just use google reverse image search to get the answers, or keep working on it. We need more questions (where are you, people who aren't called Pupitre ?).

You think the differentiating factor will be really obscure knowledge questions? Well, then, here you go!

1. In which soil horizon would you be most likely to find fossils? Give the full name and horizon letter (1 pt).
2. What are Eolian Processes? What deity are they named after? What environment do they usually occur in? (ok maybe the second isn't really GeoMaps...)(2 pts)
3. How is an unprojected map made? What does it distort? (3 pts)
4. What is orthogonal flexure? Name two typical properties of the resultant rock. (4 pts)
5. What is the typical direction is the vergence of a Z-fold, relative to the foliation of the rock ? Give the answer to the nearest compass azimuth (N E S W), with the bearing of the foliation representing 0 degrees). (3 pts)
6. You are standing on a horizontal surface looking NE when you notice an eroded fold plunging N25W and the broadening in width to your left. Is the intrado or extrado of this fold exposed? (3 pts)
7. What is the interlimb angle of a mushroom fold? (1 pt)
8. Which of the following has a (to scale, perpendicular) cross-section most similar to a synclinorium: dome, basin, antiform, synform? (2 pts)
9. What are the three types of magma, by SiO2 content? (3 pts)
10. What are the three ways that magma is produced? (3 pts)
11. What is a nuee ardente? (hint: it's a geohazard) (1 pt)
12. A low-angle reverse fault is a thrust fault. What is the name for a low-angle normal fault? (1 pt)
13. What is the difference between a generatrix line, hinge line, and crest line? (3 pts)
14. What is the difference between an axial surface, axial plane, and axial trace? (3 pts)
15. Which is typically made up of more competent rocks: Class 1b or 2 folds? (3 pts)
16. Give an example of equidistant, conformal, and shortest-line-preserving map projections, and give one use for each. (4 pts)
17. What is volume-loss folding? How does it work? (3 pts)
Last edited by elephantower on May 11th, 2014, 2:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[S/N]
N/A = didn't compete

2013:
Geologic Mapping: 1, 2
Designer Genes: 3, :(
Astronomy: N/A, :(
2014:
Geologic Mapping: 1, N/A
Protein Modelling: 1, N/A
It's About Time: 1, N/A
Forensics: 9, N/A
2015:
Geologic Mapping: 1, ?
Hydrogeology: 1, ?
It's About Time: 1, ?
Forensics: 10, ?
Pupitre
State: RI

Post by Pupitre »

elephantower wrote:OK if you want you can just use google reverse image search to get the answers, or keep working on it. We need more questions (where are you, people who aren't called Pupitre ?).

You think the differentiating factor will be really obscure knowledge questions? Well, then, here you go!

1. In which soil horizon would you be most likely to find fossils? Give the full name and horizon letter.
2. What are Eolian Processes? What deity are they named after? What environment do they usually occur in? (ok maybe the second isn't really GeoMaps...)
3. How is an unprojected map made? What does it distort?
4. What is orthogonal flexure? Name two typical properties of the resultant rock.
4. Give an example of an equal area, conformal, and a shortest-route-preserving map projection. What is each used for?
5. What is the typical direction is the vergence of a Z-fold, relative to the foliation of the rock ? Give the answer to the nearest compass azimuth (N E S W), with the bearing of the foliation representing 0 degrees).
6. You are standing on a horizontal surface looking NE when you notice an eroded fold plunging N25W and the broadening in width to your left. Is the intrado or extrado of this fold exposed?
7. What is the interlimb angle of a mushroom fold?
8. Which of the following has a (to scale) cross-section most similar to a synclinorium: dome, basin, antiform, synform?
9. What are the three types of magma, by SiO2 content?
10. What are the three ways that magma is produced?
11. What is a nuee ardente? (hint: it's a geohazard)
12. A low-angle reverse fault is a thrust fault. What is the name for a low-angle normal fault?
13. What is the difference between a generatrix line, hinge line, and crest line?
14. What is the difference between an axial surface, axial plane, and axial trace?
15. Which is typically made up of more competent rocks: Class 1b or 2 folds?
16. Give an example of equidistant, equi-angle, and shortest-line-preserving map projections, and give one use for each.
17. What is volume-loss folding? How does it work?
Sorry bud I've been really caught up with tennis matches every day after school, doesn't leave me with a whole lot of time. Okay time to show the geology geek in me :P

2. Aeolian processes are wind-related ones, named after the deity Aeolus of Greek mythology.
3. Unprojected maps are using latitude and longitude as a uniform rectangular grid. Basically everything is distorted (scale, area, distance, shape, etc...)
4. Orthogonal flexure is when lines remain at right angles to the layering throughout deformation. The rock formed has a "neutral surface" and the folds are parallel.
6. Intrado
7. Negative
8. Basin
9. I'm assuming you're looking for Ultramafic, Mafic, Intermediate, and Felsic in increasing SiO2 content.
10. High Temperature causing melting, High pressure causing melting, and a change in composition of rock to lower its melting point?
11. You sly dog :P Glowing red pyroclastic flow.
12. Detachment fault
13. A generatrix is a line that when moved around another line forms the shape of a fold. The hinge line is the connection of the points of highest curvature on a fold. It is a crest line when the fold points upwards, the hinge line that is highest in the fold.
14. Axial Surface is the surface that contains all the hinge lines of a fold. If that surface is planar, then it's an Axial Plane. Axial trace is where the axial surface intersects with the ground or anything else really.
15. Class 2?

I'll add to this gradually :P
EDIT: ADDED A FEW MORE
Last edited by Pupitre on May 8th, 2014, 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
elephantower

Post by elephantower »

lol I mainly wrote these while bored in class and I guess they sorta piled up...everything right so far :D

EDIT: Everything's pretty good so far except for 15: the more competent rocks are in class 1B folds: can you explain why?

Few other things: a hinge line is a generatrix line too :P. However, the word "hinge-line" is only for cylindrical folds, whereas "generatrix line" is used in the description of conical folds. Lower pressures, not higher ones, cause magma to form (to be precise, when rock rises higher in the mantle, it melts because of the lower pressure), and the interior of the earth is cooling, not heating up. Increasing temperatures is definitely one of the answers, but why are they increasing?

Also, are you just using your binder and knowledge for these questions? I sure hope so ;)
[S/N]
N/A = didn't compete

2013:
2014:
2015:
Pupitre

Post by Pupitre »

Well tbh some of my one word answers and vague ones are guesses but yes everything else is pretty much from knowledge. I'll edit my answers when I get home I already got caught once on my phone today
Pupitre

Post by Pupitre »

Elephantower or anyone else, I got a question for you.

What is the difference between shistocity and phylitic luster? What are these both examples of?
elephantower

Post by elephantower »

So are you finished with my other questions? I guess I'll save this one for someone else...out of curiosity, which part of the rules does this fall under?
[S/N]
N/A = didn't compete

2013:
2014:
2015:
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

Pupitre wrote:Elephantower or anyone else, I got a question for you.

What is the difference between shistocity and phylitic luster? What are these both examples of?
That's more of a rocks thing. Are you think of the rock grain stuff like mylonite, cataclasite, etc? Schistocity and phyllitic refers to how foliated metamorphic rocks are. Schistocity basically is how much like schist something is, phyllitic means how much like phyllite something is more or less. They are different and one tends to be "flaky" while other seems more "platy" (sorry if that's vague, but basically schist is more metamorphosed than phyllite so you should see that it is more foliated just as gneiss has the banding and stuff). I don't think you'll need to know metamorphic rock textures for this event, and if you do...meh.

Edit: Also, elephant at most it follows under 3b or else it would follow under 3c (?), I think maybe I've seen it come up with deformation because that can involve metamorphism and all. Honestly, going really in depth with it isn't worth it as much as practicing a three point problem, drawing cross sections,or reading other geologic/topographic maps.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Pupitre

Post by Pupitre »

syo_astro wrote:

That's more of a rocks thing. Are you think of the rock grain stuff like mylonite, cataclasite, etc? Schistocity and phyllitic refers to how foliated metamorphic rocks are. Schistocity basically is how much like schist something is, phyllitic means how much like phyllite something is more or less. They are different and one tends to be "flaky" while other seems more "platy" (sorry if that's vague, but basically schist is more metamorphosed than phyllite so you should see that it is more foliated just as gneiss has the banding and stuff). I don't think you'll need to know metamorphic rock textures for this event, and if you do...meh.

Edit: Also, elephant at most it follows under 3b or else it would follow under 3c (?), I think maybe I've seen it come up with deformation because that can involve metamorphism and all. Honestly, going really in depth with it isn't worth it as much as practicing a three point problem, drawing cross sections,or reading other geologic/topographic maps.[/quote]

Yeah, I was just reading an article on types of cleavage and foliation and thought that might be slightly relevant to basics of rock formation?

And elephantower I've pretty much finished em up. Its a shame that other people aren't being as active on here because all of these questions are great to study from. Or at the very least just to accumulate some geologic trivia questions :P
Pupitre

Post by Pupitre »

Pupitre wrote:
syo_astro wrote:

Edit: Also, elephant at most it follows under 3b or else it would follow under 3c (?), I think maybe I've seen it come up with deformation because that can involve metamorphism and all. Honestly, going really in depth with it isn't worth it as much as practicing a three point problem, drawing cross sections,or reading other geologic/topographic maps.
Yeah, I was just reading an article on types of cleavage and foliation and thought that might be slightly relevant to basics of rock formation?

And elephantower I've pretty much finished em up. Its a shame that other people aren't being as active on here because all of these questions are great to study from. Or at the very least just to accumulate some geologic trivia questions :P[/quote]
elephantower

Post by elephantower »

Good news: Someone else answered a geomaps question!
Bad news: It was syo_astro...not exactly a new face in Geologic Mapping

Pupitre, you read a random article and came up with a tangentially related question? You wanna play that way? OK then:

Describe the relationship between cooling speed and columnar jointing shape in igneous lava flows. If you get that question without using google, I will personally bow down to you at nats...

So do you want me to tell you the other answers? Also, do you mind telling me how you figured out the intrado/extrado question? I want to see if we have the same thought process (and I'm a bit suspicious after your guessing comment).
[S/N]
N/A = didn't compete

2013:
2014:
2015: