Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events
Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Solar System B Question Marathon

Post by Adi1008 »

jingletek wrote:Yay :)
How did the permafrost on mars form? Be descriptive, please.
Permafrost forms places on Mars that once has plentiful water through the gradual transition in which the Martian climate became cooler and less humid. The surface water seeped into the ground,  and the deeper the ground water went, and the greater the water content per volume of soil, and as result, the permafrost would be more pronounced. It would be found on Mars in areas like Oceanus Borealis.
Also, even if I'm correct, would you (jingletek) care to explain further? This is one facet of solar system that I do not feel that comfortable in. Thanks
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
jingletek
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by jingletek »

Adi1008 wrote:
jingletek wrote:Yay :)
How did the permafrost on mars form? Be descriptive, please.
Permafrost forms places on Mars that once has plentiful water through the gradual transition in which the Martian climate became cooler and less humid. The surface water seeped into the ground,  and the deeper the ground water went, and the greater the water content per volume of soil, and as result, the permafrost would be more pronounced. It would be found on Mars in areas like Oceanus Borealis.
Also, even if I'm correct, would you (jingletek) care to explain further? This is one facet of solar system that I do not feel that comfortable in. Thanks
This is correct! Actually, for some parts, you were more descriptive than I'd hoped :) However, the reason the permafrost becomes more pronounced, according to my knowledge, is because when the water freezes, it expands, and forces the gaps to become wider. Then, it melts again, refreezes, and the cycle repeats.
Division C
Astronomy
Entomology
Write It Do It
Adi1008

Post by Adi1008 »

jingletek wrote:This is correct! Actually, for some parts, you were more descriptive than I'd hoped :) However, the reason the permafrost becomes more pronounced, according to my knowledge, is because when the water freezes, it expands, and forces the gaps to become wider. Then, it melts again, refreezes, and the cycle repeats.
My question: Explain how Ice Ih differs from Ic in structure and properties (e.g., what pressures and temperatures it can exist in)
Stanford University
Ant-on-knee
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Ant-on-knee »

Looks like the question marathon is inactive so I'll restart it.

If I am not wrong, Ice Ih is normal hexagonal crystalline ice and is more common than Ic. Ic is a cubic crystalline form of Ice I. Then occur and similar pressures and except Ic occurs at 130-220 K but when heated to 240 K, Ic becomes Ih. I am sorry if this information is inaccurate. I'm pulling this off the top of my head.
I've thought of an epic signature and this space is too small to fit it. As of now, here are my events:
2015 Event- (Something)
Crave the Wave(-)
Simple Machines(-)
Solar System (-)
Adi1008

Post by Adi1008 »

Ant-on-knee wrote:Looks like the question marathon is inactive so I'll restart it.

If I am not wrong, Ice Ih is normal hexagonal crystalline ice and is more common than Ic. Ic is a cubic crystalline form of Ice I. Then occur and similar pressures and except Ic occurs at 130-220 K but when heated to 240 K, Ic becomes Ih. I am sorry if this information is inaccurate. I'm pulling this off the top of my head.
That's correct. Sorry for not replying earlier. Ice Ih is much, much more common than Ice Ic on Earth, as Ice Ic generally only exists in the mesosphere or upper stratosphere and in laboratory experiments. Your turn.
Stanford University

Return to “2014 Question Marathons”