robotman
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: TX

Quizzing Announcement

Postby robotman » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:03 pm

Hello All,
I am pleased to announce that we have another tool to help students in identification events. This web application allows students to quiz themselves. The only two events currently supported are Rocks and Minerals and Entomology, but we are working on including other events as well.

Check it out: Science Olympiad Question Quiz
Any issues or questions can be posted below, or in a feedback thread

TheGenius
State: KS

Re: Quizing Announcement

Postby TheGenius » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:20 pm

Clicking Begin Quiz on IE9/10 or Opera doesn't do anything. I'm getting a 403 Forbidden error on ScienceOlympiadTester.js. Perhaps a permissions error?
Any opinions expressed by TheGenius are those of individual brain cells and not necessarily those of the brain as a whole. Use information provided at your own risk.
152sQFbSTLEmeLiqUEWxmrEDpdiWKGvXJD

balsa
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Re: Quizing Announcement

Postby balsa » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:34 pm

thats precisely it; im fixing it atm
edit: fixed 11:54 pst, thanks for the notification
Troy HS Science Olympiad
2015 Events: Protein Modeling, Geologic Mapping, Entomology

Tiktaalik
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Quizzing Announcement

Postby Tiktaalik » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:17 pm

Great idea, but it might need some refining i.e. it doesn't tell you if if wants the order or the family for the insects (for some, like mantids, it wants the order, and for others, like arctiids and mecopterans, it wants the family, but it never tells you which one it wants). Also, when it showed me a picture of amethyst, it listed "Quartz [Amethyst]" as the correct answer but wouldn't except "amethyst" or "quartz."

balsa
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby balsa » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:22 am

You definitely have a point; right now for entomology it's setup that if the list has families in an order, it'll ask for family only. Only when an element on the list doesn't have a family will it want the order. Something definitely worth clarifying though, thanks.
Troy HS Science Olympiad

TheGenius
State: KS

Postby TheGenius » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:40 am

It'd be much easier to use if you could hit the enter key to submit your answer, and if the answer is cleared when you move on to another question. And once you have fuzzy matching implemented, it'll be great.
Any opinions expressed by TheGenius are those of individual brain cells and not necessarily those of the brain as a whole. Use information provided at your own risk.
152sQFbSTLEmeLiqUEWxmrEDpdiWKGvXJD

balsa
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby balsa » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:30 am

TheGenius wrote:It'd be much easier to use if you could hit the enter key to submit your answer, and if the answer is cleared when you move on to another question. And once you have fuzzy matching implemented, it'll be great.

Noted, thanks! Yeah having the enter and clearing would eschew the mouse completely which is pretty convenient.
Troy HS Science Olympiad

asquaredplusb
State: TX

Postby asquaredplusb » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:53 am

Just curious, what other events are you planning on implementing?

balsa
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby balsa » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:58 am

asquaredplusb wrote:Just curious, what other events are you planning on implementing?

We're possibly looking into implementing all of the events in some way or form in the future..
Last edited by balsa on Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Troy HS Science Olympiad

balsa
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby balsa » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:00 am

oops double post
Troy HS Science Olympiad

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Postby Skink » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:59 am

I could imagine this overtaking the likes of Quizlet for SO use after some polishing. Very cool! I'd also like to believe that readily available study tools like this would, in theory, raise the bar for some teams who wouldn't otherwise practice this way.

AstroRockShock
State: FL

Postby AstroRockShock » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:17 am

This is a great way to study, I ought to give my thanks to the person who created it.
But one flaw I thought of when taking the Rocks and Minerals test was that when I wrote, "Jasper" or "Jasper Quartz" or "Quartz - Jasper", it said I was wrong and the answer was, "Quartz [Jasper]"
Maybe there is a way to change that so that anything with jasper in it is correct or something? (same thing with all the gypsums and other quartz)
This seems like a great way to study and I hope this improves and builds up with a more variety of events. :D

balsa
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby balsa » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:20 am

AstroRockShock wrote:This is a great way to study, I ought to give my thanks to the person who created it.
But one flaw I thought of when taking the Rocks and Minerals test was that when I wrote, "Jasper" or "Jasper Quartz" or "Quartz - Jasper", it said I was wrong and the answer was, "Quartz [Jasper]"
Maybe there is a way to change that so that anything with jasper in it is correct or something? (same thing with all the gypsums and other quartz)
This seems like a great way to study and I hope this improves and builds up with a more variety of events. :D

yup, working on it but school is keeping me very busy atm haha
Troy HS Science Olympiad

AstroRockShock
State: FL

Postby AstroRockShock » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:29 am

balsa wrote:
AstroRockShock wrote:This is a great way to study, I ought to give my thanks to the person who created it.

Take your time, the quiz is already great and a helpful studying tool.
I am surprised no one has created something like this before, it is such a great idea! :idea:

balsa
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby balsa » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:30 am

AstroRockShock wrote:
balsa wrote:

Take your time, the quiz is already great and a helpful studying tool.
I am surprised no one has created something like this before, it is such a great idea! :idea:

:) thanks for the encouragement, its good to know people are finding utility in it
Troy HS Science Olympiad

Return to “2014 Question Marathons”