Compute This

fmtiger124
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Compute This

Post by fmtiger124 »

to put this back at the top of the forum What exactly is New Compute?
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

fmtiger124 wrote:What exactly is New Compute?
Reading between the lines, I see a major change to the event coming. The only thing you can rely on is that it will (probably) have something to do with computers. Maybe more info will be available after the SOSI.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
kp9ssa
Division: B

Post by kp9ssa »

wait is new compute an event next year
States

1st- Anatomy
4th- Dynamic Planet
2nd- Water Quality
2nd- Write it Do it

Team Overall: 1st
fmtiger124

Post by fmtiger124 »

Archive table of contents testing before i pm it to DS
Last edited by fmtiger124 on June 23rd, 2009, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by robotman »

what do you mean achive testeing are you talking about the table of contents
Edit the Wiki.
Upload to the Image Gallery
[medals]Get Medals[/medals]
[chat][/chat]
fmtiger124

Post by fmtiger124 »

robotman09 wrote:what do you mean achive testeing are you talking about the table of contents
yes-i edited it
SOroxmysox
State: CA

Post by SOroxmysox »

tehkubix wrote:Yep, thats my partner and I. cept we actually tried :P We searched and searched, there was no way anyone could have finished, but some teams did :( I dont see how they got all that data and still managed to do the graphs without knowing some information beforehand..
Uhh.. My partner and I used the website that they told us to give the whole time and got all the answers. Also, I reccommend doing the graph first-- because just incase you're insecure about it, you can try to fix it, (that's what we did.) We got 7th place due to a tie. And a responce for the people that can't stand the event-- i guess i really like it :P.
SOroxmysox
State: CA

Post by SOroxmysox »

ZekeBud wrote:My absolute disgust for this event cannot be accurately measured by current human means.

However, in advance of the event actually happening, a fine Google searching technique was very helpful to my efforts in the event in the past.

Google Search Operator: Site
When looking for your data (and seeing as you're probably going to be limited to only one .gov location), Google may return many locations that are not within the given usgs.gov domain. To limit your results, do the following:
1. Type in your search material (e.g.: Big Earthquakes)
2. Add "site:usgs.gov" to the end (so you would have: Big Earthquakes site:usgs.gov)
3. Search! Now you're only looking at pages within the usgs.gov area (such as earthquakes.usgs.gov, or whatever you end up with)

This technique is effective both in this event and in real life. I now use it to scour my school's website to find the publications I'm looking for.

Other fun Google searching techniques can be found here: http://www.google.com/help/operators.html. I personally recommend use of a search engine, but your strategy must be formed in your own team.

I did this event last year. We couldn't use any search engines, (well, we weren't supposed to) and as you said we could only get our info for usgs.gov... I really like this avent being that it could help improve your computer skills, (especially in Excel.)

Return to “2009 Lab Events”