Compute This

tigerlily536
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Compute This

Post by tigerlily536 »

Personally i don't think this even is all to difficult. They only thing I really have trouble with is that sometimes you can't find a short answer question no matter how hard you look! :\:P
State Results
Dynamic Planet: 1st :D
Ecology: 4th :)
Compute This: 1st :D
Write it Do it: 4th :)
Go Arden Middle School! On to Augusta Georgia! :D
fli754
State: NY

Post by fli754 »

oof! national compute this 2009 tomorrow D:

i wonder how hard the event is gonna be
dahyper_fan
Division: C
State: IL

Post by dahyper_fan »

This event actually has to be my best event, since it happens to be the only event i medaled in :D I actually find it quite easy. I know i only practiced for a few times, and i fiddled around a few times with excel for a few minutes, which greatly helped me know the features for the events. Though i definitely recommend being proficient in both 2007 and 2003 i did 2 competitions before state for this, an both were 2007 excel. At state though, they decided to use 2003, and we would of had to save on a floppy disk had it not been due to computer issues.

I know i hate it when those short answer questions seem impossible to find. I know at regionals the topic was on flooding again. The graphing was actually easy, but we had to find a very specific piece of info. So, after we had all the graphing done, my partner and i basically spent most of the hour trying to determine answers for these 200 year flooding questions, which i could never find a good enough answer for :| . But, i know we did good on the other parts, which caused me to medal in it.

As for the nationals test, good luck, I'm actually very interested in what this will be on :O, alas they don't have it in division C but i will be prepping the division B people for this event. I basically led this event, and at state my partner got put in another event, so i got partnered with one of my friends, which wasn't so bad, she basically trusted me with the graphing, but helped me with the short answer questions.
fli754

Post by fli754 »

ahhhh 6th in nationals! im ecstatic! hahahaha

it was pretty challenging i have to say, and took all 50 minutes!

the graph part was to take the five US states with territory in the pacific time zone, and to find the largest earthquakes in each of the 5 since 1950, and to also (on the same chart) the number of steam gages that are "much above normal" in each of the states. the chart was to be an "X Y scatter with only markers"
Mr. Cool
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TN

Post by Mr. Cool »

fli754 wrote:ahhhh 6th in nationals! im ecstatic! hahahaha

the graph part was to take the five US states with territory in the pacific time zone, and to find the largest earthquakes in each of the 5 since 1950, and to also (on the same chart) the number of steam gages that are "much above normal" in each of the states. the chart was to be an "X Y scatter with only markers"
hated it. NEVER...........AGAIN. AUGH!!
btw, congrats.
Check out my Wiki page! [wiki]User:Mr. cool[/wiki]
2012 Events:
Dynamic Planet
Sounds of Music
Optics
Remote Sensing

Conveniently here to save Princess Zelda.
yousmellchinese123

Post by yousmellchinese123 »

Haha I thought we could do the test, but I guess my partner and I hit a road block XD
Oh well, we scored somewhat in the middle at elast ;3
33rd place 8-)
2010 Events: Elevated Bridge, Mission Possible, Ornithology, Astronomy, Experimental Design
2011 Events: Mission Possible, Astronomy, Experimental Design, Tech Trek
2012 Events: Robot Arm, Astronomy, Experimental Design, Tech Trek, Thermodynamics
fli754

Post by fli754 »

Mr. Cool wrote:
fli754 wrote:ahhhh 6th in nationals! im ecstatic! hahahaha

hated it. NEVER...........AGAIN. AUGH!!
btw, congrats.
thanks! and yeah, NEVER AGAIN definitely. steam gages and magnitude of earthquakes dont even make sense together
yousmellchinese123 wrote:Haha I thought we could do the test, but I guess my partner and I hit a road block XD
Oh well, we scored somewhat in the middle at elast ;3
33rd place 8-)
congrats!
fli754

Post by fli754 »

Say, does anyone know what they mean about C division (new compute)?
eyeball138
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by eyeball138 »

According to that event chart, Technical Problem Solving will remain as an event, or a new computer event will be put in for Technical Problem Solving and Compute This. We won't what's happening until the official events list comes out.
My SHMS Team Results:
Regionals- 3rd
States- 5th

Regionals- 3rd
States- 5th

Regionals- 2nd
States- 4th

Regionals- 1st
States- 2nd
Nationals- 19th

C Division...
fmtiger124
Division: Grad

Post by fmtiger124 »

eyeball138 wrote:According to that event chart, Technical Problem Solving will remain as an event, or a new computer event will be put in for Technical Problem Solving and Compute This. We won't what's happening until the official events list comes out.
what exactly is New Compute?

Return to “2009 Lab Events”