Crimebusters?

fmtiger124
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Crimebusters?

Post by fmtiger124 »

soccer_5456 wrote:its been pretty quiet for a long time..
who think the rules will change a bit next year, and how? assuming they do NOT incorporate env chem into SCB
well I think that there is a chance that the note sheets could go, for us although we welcomed them it actually hurt our studying and our knowledge, I ended up getting everything mixed up after I ended up relying on the sheet too much
soccer_5456
Division: C

Post by soccer_5456 »

Yeah..for me, I hated the resource page...because all of sudden, the event became so much easier for the less-competitive peoples. Without the resource page, you really have to have a good understanding to succeed.
SO Division C 2012:
Regionals: 1st Forensics, 1st Technical Problem Solving, 1st Chemistry Lab, 4th Remote Sensing
State: 1st Chemistry Lab, 1st Remote Sensing, 3rd Protein Modeling, 3rd Forensics
genes_girl

Post by genes_girl »

I COMPLETELY agree. Whenever people ask me for help you can tell if they have been relying on the resource page or not. It is much better to KNOW the event and use the page as backup or if you have a partner who doesn't know the event then to rely heavily on it. The first thing I always say is to be able to work without it and just put the basics on there. Plus if you know the event you are quicker to get it done and in these events time is important. It's ok to spend hours/days/weeks just running the powders and taking tests to learn everything. Looking it up isn't the same as actually seeing the results.
Indiana University 2012
-- Bio and Spanish Majors

University of Chicago
-- PhD track Molecular Biosciences: Human Genetics
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

Well, in order to really be competitive, you couldn't rely on the resource page much. Honestly, that's true in most events where you get resources- I used to do Rocks & Minerals, and we barely touched our binder. We had all the information in there, but if we'd had to look up every question, we would never have finished the event. It's true that it does somewhat unfairly condense the skill range, and I don't think it's necessary at all, but it's not so terrible. It was also pretty useful when I was still learning the event as of Regionals this year :lol: We got 2nd to the much more experienced kid on our school's B team, take that as you will.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
soccer_5456

Post by soccer_5456 »

genes_girl wrote:I COMPLETELY agree. Whenever people ask me for help you can tell if they have been relying on the resource page or not. It is much better to KNOW the event and use the page as backup or if you have a partner who doesn't know the event then to rely heavily on it. The first thing I always say is to be able to work without it and just put the basics on there. Plus if you know the event you are quicker to get it done and in these events time is important. It's ok to spend hours/days/weeks just running the powders and taking tests to learn everything. Looking it up isn't the same as actually seeing the results.
Phenylethylamine wrote:Well, in order to really be competitive, you couldn't rely on the resource page much. Honestly, that's true in most events where you get resources- I used to do Rocks & Minerals, and we barely touched our binder. We had all the information in there, but if we'd had to look up every question, we would never have finished the event. It's true that it does somewhat unfairly condense the skill range, and I don't think it's necessary at all, but it's not so terrible. It was also pretty useful when I was still learning the event as of Regionals this year :lol: We got 2nd to the much more experienced kid on our school's B team, take that as you will.
Haha you guys took words out of my mouth. Yes, using the resource page for us would have crippled us more than helped us. Especially at nationals; those who were there can understand that even looking up something minor on our resource page would be wasting time. This was the 3rd year for me doing this event, so I had everything memorized..I think the only time we actually used our sheet for the ENTIRE 2009 season was when we needed plastic densities..
wait. forensics in C..does it have resource pages? :?
SO Division C 2012:
Regionals: 1st Forensics, 1st Technical Problem Solving, 1st Chemistry Lab, 4th Remote Sensing
State: 1st Chemistry Lab, 1st Remote Sensing, 3rd Protein Modeling, 3rd Forensics
genes_girl

Post by genes_girl »

soccer_5456 wrote:wait. forensics in C..does it have resource pages? :?
It did in my final year (2 years ago) and last year as well so I would assume so unless they are changing the rules.
Indiana University 2012
-- Bio and Spanish Majors

University of Chicago
-- PhD track Molecular Biosciences: Human Genetics
soccer_5456

Post by soccer_5456 »

gah. :(
SO Division C 2012:
dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CO

Post by dudeincolorado »

soccer_5456 wrote:gah. :(
At least forensics is much broader than crimebusters...
SO stressed!
soccer_5456

Post by soccer_5456 »

haha yeah. That should be fun. Dudeincolorado, are you in Div C, or going to Div C? (My real question lol is have you competed in Forensics in the 2009 season? Is a resource page helpful for Forensics?)
SO Division C 2012:
dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CO

Post by dudeincolorado »

This will be my second year in C, and yes I have competed, the resource page was helpful, I if it was lost or stolen or something, I would be able to work without it. So in short yes, but I didn't need it.
SO stressed!

Return to “2009 Lab Events”