Chem and Physics labs

Freak of Science
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Chem and Physics labs

Post by Freak of Science »

iwtban wrote:thanks for your detailed description of the event. So, at your invitational, for the titration, did they ask to calculate the concentration of the acid or anything else? Thanks.

Yeah, they asked for the concentration of the acid, and asked us to do standard deviation between the trials.
celtics09
Division: C

Post by celtics09 »

What's your best time on the titration race
I messed up and got 24 min 53 sec
Any ideas on how to improve my titration race skills
Washington DC Nationals - 2008
Astronomy 27th
Fermi Questions 21st
Team 16th

Augusta Nationals-2009
Astronomy 18th
Technical Problem Solving 4th
Team 25th
Sheogorath
Division: Grad

Post by Sheogorath »

Practice
2007 Events: Remote Sensing, Astronomy, Fermi Questions, SumoBots
2008 Events: Remote Sensing, Astronomy, Herpetology, SumoBots, Forensics

2009 Events: Remote Sensing 3, Astronomy 2, Fossils 2, Sumobots 1, It's About Time 1, Chem Lab 2
dickyjones
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dickyjones »

We had to have taken 30 minutes on the titrations at invites, but we split up the test such that my partner did the titration and I did the test (test was rather long). Remember time comes last to accuracy and precision, and I expect some teams to get screwed up with bad results because they actually take it as a 'race'. Do the parts that you can do quickly without much error quickly (the beginning of the titration and gathering materials). Take your time, double check all your measurements and calculations and you'll probably end up ahead.
VHSSO Veteran!
Events: Ecology, Herpetology, Cell Bio, Entomology, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Chem Lab, Disease Detective, Dynamic Planet, Five Star, EggONaut, Enviro Chemistry, Fermi, Quantum Quandaries!
Nationals: Wichita: Ecology-4, Entomology-5, Team-11; DC: Sounds-1, Team-11
iwtban

Post by iwtban »

dickyjones wrote:We had to have taken 30 minutes on the titrations at invites, but we split up the test such that my partner did the titration and I did the test (test was rather long). Remember time comes last to accuracy and precision, and I expect some teams to get screwed up with bad results because they actually take it as a 'race'. Do the parts that you can do quickly without much error quickly (the beginning of the titration and gathering materials). Take your time, double check all your measurements and calculations and you'll probably end up ahead.
hi, can you tell me what kind of questions in the non labs part were at your invitational? Were they hard? easy? AP Chem level? Thanks.
dickyjones
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dickyjones »

They were mostly in a range from really easy (identifying the lewis base/lewis acid in a reaction, calculating pH, some stoichiometry) to medium level (basic questions on calculating Ka or using Ka to find concentrations of different ions). The most difficult question was really only difficult due to the amount of information and constants given and the number of steps (like 10) taken to solve it. I'd say it was at a first year college chemistry level. And I didn't need to know anything that wasn't in my Chemistry book. It was much easier than the acid/base test for my AP Chem class though. Of course all tests are different, so you can't really expect other tests to be similar.
VHSSO Veteran!
Events: Ecology, Herpetology, Cell Bio, Entomology, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Chem Lab, Disease Detective, Dynamic Planet, Five Star, EggONaut, Enviro Chemistry, Fermi, Quantum Quandaries!
iwtban

Post by iwtban »

thanks so much, that really helps a lot.
dickyjones
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dickyjones »

Chem Lab: Section 5. - Time will not be a factor in breaking ties for Titration Race at the National Finals. (2/4/09)
VHSSO Veteran!
adam124218
Division: C

Post by adam124218 »

dickyjones wrote:
Chem Lab: Section 5. - Time will not be a factor in breaking ties for Titration Race at the National Finals. (2/4/09)
So now it's not just "Titriation not-really-a-Race," it's "Titration definitely-not-a-Race." I don't understand what goes on with the national coordinators sometimes.
Glacierguy1
State: NY

Post by Glacierguy1 »

I think they call it titration race because you have to do multiple titrations in a small amount of time, even though our region let us start and stop whenever we want.
SAVE OUR GLACIERS.

Return to “2009 Lab Events”