Chem and Physics labs

abbcossni
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Chem and Physics labs

Post by abbcossni »

I think the titration race makes it sound like fun. in class whenever we have to do a titration my friends and i always race. it's not super accurate, but its fun!
Spongebob:"Don't worry, tomorrow we'll be back for more frolic and fun."
iwtban

Post by iwtban »

how do you practice to do good on titration race? i mean, the titration lab is pretty simple; and do you think that i should practice on diprotic acid and stuff? thanks.
dickyjones
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by dickyjones »

Yeah, it's not that difficult...and is probably way overcurved. Hopefully, the judges will find a way to score it fairly. To practice, just make someone on your team make an acid/base of some given molality and then do the titrations. Try to do it at least once with each of: a pH probe, phenolphthalein, burettes, and pipettes. Just get a good method with your partner that won't leave one of you doing nothing while the other does the whole titration.

I wouldn't expect diprotic acids for the titration race, but I'd prepare for them for the rest of the labs/questions. They could do more than one titration the way the rules are written.
VHSSO Veteran!
Events: Ecology, Herpetology, Cell Bio, Entomology, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Chem Lab, Disease Detective, Dynamic Planet, Five Star, EggONaut, Enviro Chemistry, Fermi, Quantum Quandaries!
Nationals: Wichita: Ecology-4, Entomology-5, Team-11; DC: Sounds-1, Team-11
iwtban

Post by iwtban »

what do they mean about "calculating standard deviation"; can anyone please explain? thanks.
dickyjones
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dickyjones »

It means that you have to do the titration more than once (probably, three times would be a good number).

Standard deviation is the square root of the sum of the deviations of each trial the mean of all trials divided by one minus the number of trials....yeah...look here
VHSSO Veteran!
Events: Ecology, Herpetology, Cell Bio, Entomology, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Chem Lab, Disease Detective, Dynamic Planet, Five Star, EggONaut, Enviro Chemistry, Fermi, Quantum Quandaries!
Nationals: Wichita: Ecology-4, Entomology-5, Team-11; DC: Sounds-1, Team-11
iwtban

Post by iwtban »

thanks, that's so helpful :D
ovhs_soinc_nerd
Division: C

Post by ovhs_soinc_nerd »

This is my first year doing the Chem. Lab and I am really excited. I am a sophomore this year but last year a senior competed for us so I am a tad worried but titration is always fun. We completed a long titration lab in November in my Organic class and I thought it was really neat. Hopefully, my skills are too poor for a race! Any suggestions?
♥abigail jolee's 2009 Events: Chem. Lab, Disease Detectives, Egg-O-Naut, Experimental Design and Herpetology.♥
SuperBeast

Post by SuperBeast »

You dont need to study much for physics lab. The test is a joke. The main thing you need to have is a fan that can generate a heck of a lot of voltage :P
Sheogorath

Post by Sheogorath »

It isn't really a race per say, I do believe that the time is a tie breaker.
2007 Events: Remote Sensing, Astronomy, Fermi Questions, SumoBots
2008 Events: Remote Sensing, Astronomy, Herpetology, SumoBots, Forensics

2009 Events: Remote Sensing 3, Astronomy 2, Fossils 2, Sumobots 1, It's About Time 1, Chem Lab 2
iwtban

Post by iwtban »

they ask for standard deviation, so how many times you would suggest to do the titration? thanks.

Return to “2009 Lab Events”