"Mentat, solve thyself." ~ Dune
I follow the Path of the Beam.
oceangirl.007
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cell Bio

Post by oceangirl.007 »

"The CELL" yea!! that's the book i was talking about (college lvl.) It truely is an amazing book, gene girl!!! :D
mxc2009

Post by mxc2009 »

oceangirl.007 wrote:"The CELL" yea!! that's the book i was talking about (college lvl.) It truely is an amazing book, gene girl!!! :D
omg I have that book too!!!
my school doesn't offer AP bio so I was stuck in a class with people who didn't understand that there's a difference between organelles and enzymes!! I used it to study two years ago (before I even took biology) and I placed fifth with this girl who was put with me because my partner got sick. I love that book
sciolykid101
State: TN

Post by sciolykid101 »

oceangirl.007 wrote:"The CELL" yea!! that's the book i was talking about (college lvl.) It truely is an amazing book, gene girl!!! :D
Whose the author?
2010 Events: Anatomy, Astronomy, Cell Biology, Protein Modeling
Looking forward to the '11 SO season!
Tennessee! Image
binary010101
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by binary010101 »

Do we need to memorize all the enzymes in the Citric Acid Cycle?
Image ...NOT Communist.

Dual-Booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10

THE GAME.

"Mentat, solve thyself." ~ Dune
I follow the Path of the Beam.
kmeister87
State: IN

Post by kmeister87 »

binary010101 wrote:Do we need to memorize all the enzymes in the Citric Acid Cycle?
At state last year we had to put molecular diagrams in order for the citric acid cycle. The enzymes really aren't too bad-- their names describe what they do if you break them down to their roots.
dickyjones
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dickyjones »

Are you from Indiana? Yeah, we had to do that at state last year as well.

I wouldn't spend too much time on it. If you have nothing else to do, go for it, but chances are you won't get that on a test. And if you do get it, very few other teams will know it so it will end up being like a thrown out question anyways. Personally, I think questions like those are against the spirit of this event. I see this as the "bio-lab" event which should be more about process skills like analyzing data, making observations, knowing basic lab techniques, and making hypotheses. But apparentally very few event supervisors agree with me, so I guess we're supposed to just treat it like a study event.
VHSSO Veteran!
Events: Ecology, Herpetology, Cell Bio, Entomology, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Chem Lab, Disease Detective, Dynamic Planet, Five Star, EggONaut, Enviro Chemistry, Fermi, Quantum Quandaries!
Nationals: Wichita: Ecology-4, Entomology-5, Team-11; DC: Sounds-1, Team-11
kmeister87

Post by kmeister87 »

dickyjones wrote:Are you from Indiana? Yeah, we had to do that at state last year as well.
Yeah, Bloomington North. Despite the ridiculous in-depth Krebs cycle, though, I thought it was a good test. From what I remember, it covered pretty much everything in the rules, and did some knowledge synthesis questions rather than just "regurgitate this information." Did you get to do the event at nationals? I'd be interested to see how you thought the tests compared... Due to some nasty scheduling conflicts, neither of the people who did it at state could do it at nationals. :)
dickyjones
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dickyjones »

Ahhh, ok. No, I was only thrown in for state; I think it conflicted with Sounds at nats maybe? I did do last year's nats test from the test packet though. It seemed like it was a review of all of first semester Bio II. I generally ignore DNA replication in studying so I could do pretty much all but the questions on that, though half of the diagrams printed so dark that I couldn't read any of those questions. It seemed rather easy other than that, though I'm sure it would be more difficult when timed and with lab stations.

State test was decent. I didn't know the cellular diseases, so we BS'ed that part. My partner knew all of the tissue types, otherwise I would've failed that station. And I didn't like the fun facts station (yeah, we didn't know about Robert Hooke and ostrich ovums at that point). And I think when they ask for the names of biological polymers, they should give a word bank because otherwise I have no idea how specific to get (should I say carbohydrate, simple sugar, disacharride, or maltose?!?). The rest went pretty well, though. :) I'd say (only looking at the practice test) that the state test was more difficult in content, though easier to do in the time allotted.
VHSSO Veteran!
Events: Ecology, Herpetology, Cell Bio, Entomology, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Chem Lab, Disease Detective, Dynamic Planet, Five Star, EggONaut, Enviro Chemistry, Fermi, Quantum Quandaries!
Nationals: Wichita: Ecology-4, Entomology-5, Team-11; DC: Sounds-1, Team-11
kmeister87

Post by kmeister87 »

dickyjones wrote:Ahhh, ok. No, I was only thrown in for state; I think it conflicted with Sounds at nats maybe? I did do last year's nats test from the test packet though. It seemed like it was a review of all of first semester Bio II. I generally ignore DNA replication in studying so I could do pretty much all but the questions on that, though half of the diagrams printed so dark that I couldn't read any of those questions. It seemed rather easy other than that, though I'm sure it would be more difficult when timed and with lab stations.

State test was decent. I didn't know the cellular diseases, so we BS'ed that part. My partner knew all of the tissue types, otherwise I would've failed that station. And I didn't like the fun facts station (yeah, we didn't know about Robert Hooke and ostrich ovums at that point). And I think when they ask for the names of biological polymers, they should give a word bank because otherwise I have no idea how specific to get (should I say carbohydrate, simple sugar, disacharride, or maltose?!?). The rest went pretty well, though. :) I'd say (only looking at the practice test) that the state test was more difficult in content, though easier to do in the time allotted.
Oh, crazy! You're in Sounds? That's why I couldn't do it either. We might have talked at the opening ceremony. Which building event are you doing this year?

The cellular disease station was crazy... we were working on that during the rest of the test. Every time we finished a station with time to spare, we flipped back to those questions on our answer sheet and scribbled a few more words down before we had to move on to the next station. I think they said as specific as possible on the question with chemical diagrams. Yeah, ironically, our regionals test was probably the best; there were hardcore stations with actual microscopes set up rather than just printouts. One station even had a model of a phospholipid.

Return to “2009 Lab Events”