Technical Problem Solving

Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Re: Technical Problem Solving

Post by Flavorflav »

I do not think that it is in keeping with the spirit of the event to require calculus.
tad_k_22

Post by tad_k_22 »

Agreed, but there should be problems where calculus would get you a quicker answer, but it should not be necessary.
Old Events:
Astronomy, Remote Sensing (Both Mars and Global Warming), Dynamic Planet (Oceanography/Earthquakes and Volcanoes), It's About Time, Technical Problem Solving, and I really don't want to count, but did fail at-Fermi Questions.
soroco120
Division: C
Been thanked: 0

Post by soroco120 »

Yeah I had a tournament today, and did really badly, especially in this event. Does anybody have any tips on improving/practicing this event?
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Freak of Science

Post by Freak of Science »

Technical Problem Solving (at least, by my knowledge of two invitationals) is a combination of high level Chemistry and Physics-related math, as well as a commercial for Texas Instruments (analyzing data from a TI-81 Calculator attachment, ect.).
ahage16

Post by ahage16 »

Competed in this on Saturday. It seemed ridiculously easy, but we ended up getting 14th. Since there are no specifics on scoring, I'd imagine it was all very close at the top because there was nothing complicated involved. Some things we had to calculate: Density, gravitational acceleration using a pendulum, average weight of candy, volume change in gas at different temperatures, and something else I don't remember :D
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

Can you tell me about the volume of gas station? I didn't get a very clear understanding of it from the guys who did it.
ahage16

Post by ahage16 »

You just had to squeeze out some water from a sealed bottle into a graduated cylinder and calculate how much air entered the bottle. There was a thermometer reading air temp and one reading the water temp. You then just used (V1/T1)=(V2/T2). At least I think that that is how it was supposed to be done
Glacierguy1

Post by Glacierguy1 »

ahage16 wrote:Competed in this on Saturday. It seemed ridiculously easy, but we ended up getting 14th. Since there are no specifics on scoring, I'd imagine it was all very close at the top because there was nothing complicated involved. Some things we had to calculate: Density, gravitational acceleration using a pendulum, average weight of candy, volume change in gas at different temperatures, and something else I don't remember :D
And mass of a cylinder of wood cut out of a block
SAVE OUR GLACIERS.
rocketchicka
State: MI

Post by rocketchicka »

Does anybody else think this event should be modified? Like using less calc?
2010 Events-State Results:

17th Mission Possible
7th Egg-O-Naut
32nd Technical Problem Solving
18th Remote Sensing

Return to “2009 Lab Events”