Disease Detectives

sk8lynne
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives

Post by sk8lynne »

yeah that's true....u really don't have to study once u know all the information but to me at least, it seems impossible to know everything cause there is just soooo much that u have to know 4 this event (vocab nd stuff) nd u really dont know what they r gonna ask u on the test so u kinda have to know everthing!!!
Events this year:
Picture This
Forensics
Disease
I am extremely mad that Experimental is not at regionals!
sadistic_cottoncandy
Division: Grad
State: MA

Post by sadistic_cottoncandy »

true. if not, you can always make up your own diseases. that gets really interesting, really fast.
"Such a disappointment to the world"
pjgscioisamazing

Post by pjgscioisamazing »

For nationals, I bet there's gonna be a good amount of Swine Flu on it... It would only make sense as it's a current event, a big event, and it's epidemiology in action.
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

And also that peanut salmonella outbreak we had. I agree that swine flu's a little bit bigger of a concern though, as it could spread worldwide. At least it's not exceedingly lethal.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
pjgscioisamazing

Post by pjgscioisamazing »

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:And also that peanut salmonella outbreak we had. I agree that swine flu's a little bit bigger of a concern though, as it could spread worldwide. At least it's not exceedingly lethal.
Also, on the nat'l tournament site it says the topic will be water-borne illnesses and anti-microbial resistance. I would bet Cholera for the water-borne illness and something to do with MRSA for anti-microbial resistance.
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building
genius3point14159
Division: B

Post by genius3point14159 »

there is this test on cdc's website and you're supposed to calculate the relative increase in these two percents. So it's like if 11.6% of the white non-hispanic is overweight in 1988-1994 and 12.8% is overweight in 1999-2000 calculate the percent increase. but for the answer they go 12.8/11.6

here's the site:
http://www.cdc.gov/excite/disease_detec ... ghtQ&A.pdf

thank you.. pleaseeeeee answer this...
Fossils...DiseaseDetectives...ShockValue...ComputeThis...WriteItDoIt...Ornithology

Sorry to all the Red Wings fans/other football team fans but...
piTTsBuRgH iS tHe CiTy oF cHaMPiONS!!!!!!
denmarksoccer
Division: C

Post by denmarksoccer »

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:And also that peanut salmonella outbreak we had. I agree that swine flu's a little bit bigger of a concern though, as it could spread worldwide. At least it's not exceedingly lethal.
We had salmonella on our PA state test. Can somebody who took it please tell me how many people died, because we couldn't figure it out anywhere.
2010:
Pentathlon-1@ regs, 4@ states, 16@ nationals
Road Scholar-2@ regs, 8@ states, 31st@ nationals
Disease Detectives-2@ regs, 1st@ states, 5@ nationals
Bio-Process Lab- 2@ states, 11@ nationals
Physical Science Lab- 38@ nationals
Team-1@ regs, 2@ states, 19@ nationals

Moving up to C.
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

genius3point14159 wrote:there is this test on cdc's website and you're supposed to calculate the relative increase in these two percents. So it's like if 11.6% of the white non-hispanic is overweight in 1988-1994 and 12.8% is overweight in 1999-2000 calculate the percent increase. but for the answer they go 12.8/11.6

here's the site:
http://www.cdc.gov/excite/disease_detec ... ghtQ&A.pdf

thank you.. pleaseeeeee answer this...
It's just another example of sloppy use of terminology. They apparently wanted you to calculate rate ratio (which is a kind of relative risk), but they called it "relative increase." Technically, the relative increase is .1 or 10%, but they want you to put 1.1 which is the rate ratio (once they have said "increase" then it establishes 100% of the original value as the baseline, and you should only have to report the excess incidence). I would hope that the raters would give credit for both answers, but I wouldn't count on it. If you want to be safe, you might want to write both - like "10% or 1.1" or even "10% increase, rate ratio = 1.1" or something like that.
crazibanana_51

Post by crazibanana_51 »

I personally dont think that swine flu is that big of a deal because over 60,000 people get the normal flu every year in just the US and DIE from it so thats like 100 people a day that die and we arent making a huge deal out of that. Plus I dont really care because someone in my boyfriends class at his school got it and he is fine and gets to play video games all day long for a week.
09 events: Disease detectives, Road scholar, wright stuff, pentathalon, and robo-cross.

It's all fun and games until someone gets their fingers stuck together with super glue, then it's just funny!
sadistic_cottoncandy
State: MA

Post by sadistic_cottoncandy »

is your boyfriend's friend cute?
"Such a disappointment to the world"

Return to “2009 Lab Events”