Disease Detectives

ovhs_soinc_nerd
Division: C

Re: disease detective

Postby ovhs_soinc_nerd » January 30th, 2009, 1:34 pm

There was also an awesome Bonus question where you had to match celebrities with the diseases they had.
What does that have to do with SO? :?
it doesnt really but it was still cool.
♥abigail jolee's 2009 Events: Chem. Lab, Disease Detectives, Egg-O-Naut, Experimental Design and Herpetology.♥

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » January 30th, 2009, 2:41 pm

I wouldn't have a clue. I don't pay attention to celeb stuff. Sports however... :D
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

Aia
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: WA

Postby Aia » January 30th, 2009, 3:16 pm

There was also an awesome Bonus question where you had to match celebrities with the diseases they had.
What does that have to do with SO? :?
it doesnt really but it was still cool.
CDC sponsors this event and SO. That's all it really comes down to.
Science Olympiad Alumna and Volunteer
Aia's Boomilever Guide: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Aia%27 ... ever_Guide

Riya94

Re: Disease Detectives

Postby Riya94 » February 3rd, 2009, 7:42 pm

I would look up epidemiology and get tons of vocab words and study them and look up the stuff you don't understand.
Riya ♥

zorbak5044
Division: B

Postby zorbak5044 » February 5th, 2009, 8:14 am

i had this really good game that was futuristic but now i cant find it :( ring any bells?
i dunno what to write. oh i know! wait never mind. hmm. ive got it! i shall meh a lot. no that doesnt seem like much fun hmm oh ive got it. if youve read this ive just wasted about 16 seconds of your life

rkscience

Postby rkscience » February 5th, 2009, 12:59 pm

I know I may be restating some of the comments made by previous contributors of this thread, but Disease Detectives is a very simple and fun event. The CDC resources, tests, and samples are extremely good resources that you should really embrace. You know you've fully used this resource only when you feel like you've done every practice test at least 3 times. :)

Also, the wiki available on this website is pretty much an "all you need to know" guide to Disease. Just make sure you thoroughly have memorized and understood this material. You'll be fine. Also, try to use the CDC glossary and get familiar with as many words and definitions as you can. If you speak in epidemiology's language on the test, you'll do very well. When answering questions, sound like you know what you're talking about (hopefully you do); use words like "susceptible" instead of "more prone," use words like "dermal" instead of "skin contact." It really helps you distinguish your team's knowledge from others. Often times, tests do ask you to recite definitions. If you've studied the glossary, you'll get those defining questions. Usually, this is what separates first place from second/third place.

I'm not saying you should memorize the entire glossary. In fact, this probably won't really help as much. The goal is to really understand the information and work out problems as asked, not simply recite memorized facts. Speak the language that epidemiologists speak, and you'll do fine. Good luck!

herewegoagain365

Postby herewegoagain365 » February 6th, 2009, 6:01 pm

Just wondering... do we need to know anything about Koch's Postulates? Or for that matter, anything about historical epidemiologists/epidemics? From the wiki, it doesn't look like it (for Div. C), but I was searching through some older practice tests, and there were some questions on the subject.

Flavorflav
State: NY

Postby Flavorflav » February 6th, 2009, 6:11 pm

They have asked about Snow a few times, I know.

herewegoagain365

Postby herewegoagain365 » February 6th, 2009, 6:13 pm

Alright, thanks! I've never done a Div. C event before, so this is new to me.

zorbak5044
Division: B

Postby zorbak5044 » February 12th, 2009, 8:18 am

anyone?
i dunno what to write. oh i know! wait never mind. hmm. ive got it! i shall meh a lot. no that doesnt seem like much fun hmm oh ive got it. if youve read this ive just wasted about 16 seconds of your life

Return to “2009 Lab Events”