State: TX

Re: Disease Detectives

Postby kidneyfailure52 » February 12th, 2009, 9:03 pm

the only hard parts are the case study and big vocab[quote] :shock: [/quote]

herewegoagain365
Division: C

Re: disease detective

Postby herewegoagain365 » February 15th, 2009, 5:38 am

OH, I think I know what you're talking about.
MedMyst, right? With a bunch of robots and stuff?
Hold on, I'll find the link for you...

herewegoagain365

Postby herewegoagain365 » February 15th, 2009, 5:40 am

Okay, it's at http://medmyst.rice.edu.
It's a pretty interesting site... not much on classical epidemiology, but it does help memorizing pathogens and Koch's Postulates and such. Also, cholera and a bunch of diseases on the site are usually mentioned at regionals. :)

zorbak5044
Division: B

Postby zorbak5044 » February 23rd, 2009, 8:09 am

thats it thanks
i dunno what to write. oh i know! wait never mind. hmm. ive got it! i shall meh a lot. no that doesnt seem like much fun hmm oh ive got it. if youve read this ive just wasted about 16 seconds of your life

inycepoo

Postby inycepoo » February 27th, 2009, 6:50 am

anyone wanna exchange tests for this event? :D
PM me if yur interested.
Benjamin N. Cardozo represent

2010 New York City Metro Regionals:
Ecology
Mousetrap Vehicle
Sumobots
Trajectory

soroco120

Postby soroco120 » March 3rd, 2009, 8:00 am

Does anyone have any tests they'd like to trade?

herewegoagain365

Postby herewegoagain365 » March 3rd, 2009, 1:39 pm

np, glad to help.

pjgscioisamazing
Division: Grad
State: NY

Postby pjgscioisamazing » March 3rd, 2009, 3:40 pm

I got stuck with disease this year (well I shouldn't say stuck, that makes it seem like I don't want it) and if you study, it's an easy event. It can be kinda intimidating, ie. Nat'l events tend to be if you ever practice with one. But there is always the trouble of bad events. Disease events always tend to be pretty darn good. But at this years regionals, I was totally prepares and got 7th (which isn't bad, but I would have liked to do better). The event had barely ANY reading comprehension (a must in any disease event), very convoluted (not clear) math, and random bad questions. It was weird cause normally my region has good disease events. The only "good" part was the matching with vocab at the end :lol: But if you study teh basics/concepts (the training handout is a GREAT way to start) it's pretty easy to apply it to any event. ANd also, look out for outbreaks and such going on around teh world. There was an outbreak of cholera in Zimbabwe and that was on my event this past weekend. Good Luck! :D
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building

Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY

Postby Flavorflav » March 4th, 2009, 2:18 am

I got stuck with disease this year (well I shouldn't say stuck, that makes it seem like I don't want it) and if you study, it's an easy event. It can be kinda intimidating, ie. Nat'l events tend to be if you ever practice with one. But there is always the trouble of bad events. Disease events always tend to be pretty darn good. But at this years regionals, I was totally prepares and got 7th (which isn't bad, but I would have liked to do better). The event had barely ANY reading comprehension (a must in any disease event), very convoluted (not clear) math, and random bad questions. It was weird cause normally my region has good disease events. The only "good" part was the matching with vocab at the end :lol: But if you study teh basics/concepts (the training handout is a GREAT way to start) it's pretty easy to apply it to any event. ANd also, look out for outbreaks and such going on around teh world. There was an outbreak of cholera in Zimbabwe and that was on my event this past weekend. Good Luck! :D
Can you give an example of a bad question or some convoluted math?

zorbak5044
Division: B

Postby zorbak5044 » March 4th, 2009, 8:04 am

i dont
i dunno what to write. oh i know! wait never mind. hmm. ive got it! i shall meh a lot. no that doesnt seem like much fun hmm oh ive got it. if youve read this ive just wasted about 16 seconds of your life

Return to “2009 Lab Events”