Write it Do it

User avatar
EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2682
Joined: January 17th, 2009, 7:32 am
Division: Grad
State: MD
Location: At work trying to be a real adult
Contact:

Re: Write it Do it

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » July 11th, 2009, 7:54 pm

The point of the event is to be adaptable to the design and to convey instructions that can be easily followed correctly. If you only work with one design that destroys the point of the event.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki


If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

User avatar
sweetcoop
Member
Member
Posts: 157
Joined: November 13th, 2008, 2:55 pm
Division: Grad
State: CO
Location: On top of the World
Contact:

Re: Write it Do it

Postby sweetcoop » July 11th, 2009, 8:07 pm

kp9ssa wrote:a question 4 the builders: did they put out extra pieces


My coach at pratice has never included extra peices but i remember at state two years ago they did have extra peices. At regionals and state in this past year they have said there might be extra peices.
ImageImage
The 10 most important two letter words.
If it is to be, it is up to me

User avatar
dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 595
Joined: January 31st, 2007, 6:27 pm
Division: C
State: CO
Location: Hope it's somewhere good. :)
Contact:

Re: Write it Do it

Postby dudeincolorado » July 11th, 2009, 10:34 pm

If the writer's instructions are even mediocre there still shouldn't be TOO much confusion with extra pieces,right? I mean when in doubt don't just shove it in and hope for the best right?
SO stressed!

User avatar
sweetcoop
Member
Member
Posts: 157
Joined: November 13th, 2008, 2:55 pm
Division: Grad
State: CO
Location: On top of the World
Contact:

Re: Write it Do it

Postby sweetcoop » July 12th, 2009, 6:52 am

Actually Dude that is what i did at Regionals two years ago and my team took second place
ImageImage
The 10 most important two letter words.
If it is to be, it is up to me

User avatar
49ers
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 371
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 7:22 am
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: Myrin' Cryin'
Contact:

Re: Write it Do it

Postby 49ers » July 12th, 2009, 12:54 pm

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:The point of the event is to be adaptable to the design and to convey instructions that can be easily followed correctly. If you only work with one design that destroys the point of the event.


yes it does but isn't it possible to rehearse a design though?
East Stroudsburg South and J.T.L Cavs Alumnus
49ersfan
Metsfan
If you need a person to create study materials, I am available. Literally any event.
You are now free to lose the game.
Ursinus Bearcox 2020
Need a rugger? Look no further.
Bio-medical Engineering

rockhound
Member
Member
Posts: 109
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Contact:

Re: Write it Do it

Postby rockhound » July 12th, 2009, 6:15 pm

dudeincolorado wrote:If the writer's instructions are even mediocre there still shouldn't be TOO much confusion with extra pieces,right? I mean when in doubt don't just shove it in and hope for the best right?


Not necessarily. At an invitational in OH they gave us a sheet of stickers with snowmen wearing different clothing and doing differnt things. The writers only saw one sticker so they basically wrote "attach the snowman sticker ...." but they needed to tell you it was the snowman sticker with the red had throwing snowballs. Not the blue hat snowball thrower, the red had skier, or any of the other 20 stickers.

User avatar
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1075
Joined: January 8th, 2009, 4:47 pm
Division: Grad
State: MA
Location: Harvard University
Contact:

Re: Write it Do it

Postby Phenylethylamine » July 13th, 2009, 1:09 pm

49ers wrote:
EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:The point of the event is to be adaptable to the design and to convey instructions that can be easily followed correctly. If you only work with one design that destroys the point of the event.


yes it does but isn't it possible to rehearse a design though?

How would you rehearse a design? You have no idea what the structure is going to be until you get there.
rockhound wrote:
dudeincolorado wrote:If the writer's instructions are even mediocre there still shouldn't be TOO much confusion with extra pieces,right? I mean when in doubt don't just shove it in and hope for the best right?


Not necessarily. At an invitational in OH they gave us a sheet of stickers with snowmen wearing different clothing and doing differnt things. The writers only saw one sticker so they basically wrote "attach the snowman sticker ...." but they needed to tell you it was the snowman sticker with the red had throwing snowballs. Not the blue hat snowball thrower, the red had skier, or any of the other 20 stickers.

Oh my god :shock: That's pretty brutal. I have a tendency to start describing things very thoroughly but then stop with the assumption that there will only be one purple pipe cleaner (for example) for the builder to use- I feel like I'm wasting time when I go into such detail about every piece. Now I don't feel so bad about it lol...
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009

User avatar
49ers
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 371
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 7:22 am
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: Myrin' Cryin'
Contact:

Re: Write it Do it

Postby 49ers » July 13th, 2009, 1:26 pm

well you could get the design you were looking for, but I guess its very unlikely
East Stroudsburg South and J.T.L Cavs Alumnus
49ersfan
Metsfan
If you need a person to create study materials, I am available. Literally any event.
You are now free to lose the game.
Ursinus Bearcox 2020
Need a rugger? Look no further.
Bio-medical Engineering

User avatar
dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 595
Joined: January 31st, 2007, 6:27 pm
Division: C
State: CO
Location: Hope it's somewhere good. :)
Contact:

Re: Write it Do it

Postby dudeincolorado » July 13th, 2009, 3:56 pm

rockhound wrote:
dudeincolorado wrote:If the writer's instructions are even mediocre there still shouldn't be TOO much confusion with extra pieces,right? I mean when in doubt don't just shove it in and hope for the best right?


Not necessarily. At an invitational in OH they gave us a sheet of stickers with snowmen wearing different clothing and doing differnt things. The writers only saw one sticker so they basically wrote "attach the snowman sticker ...." but they needed to tell you it was the snowman sticker with the red had throwing snowballs. Not the blue hat snowball thrower, the red had skier, or any of the other 20 stickers.

wait so they only had one sheet of paper and one snowman sticker?
SO stressed!

rockhound
Member
Member
Posts: 109
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Contact:

Re: Write it Do it

Postby rockhound » July 13th, 2009, 4:15 pm

dudeincolorado wrote:wait so they only had one sheet of paper and one snowman sticker?


The writer so one sticker. The builder was given one sheet of stickers. On the sheet there were about twenty different stickers each with a snowman doing or wearing something different.

I have seen other such tricky things. Like the writer saw only saw one blue paperclip so they wrote "blue paperclip..." but I saw five blue toothpicks each a different color (something like navy, cobalt, sky, ocean, and royal).

User avatar
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1075
Joined: January 8th, 2009, 4:47 pm
Division: Grad
State: MA
Location: Harvard University
Contact:

Re: Write it Do it

Postby Phenylethylamine » July 15th, 2009, 6:54 am

rockhound wrote:
dudeincolorado wrote:wait so they only had one sheet of paper and one snowman sticker?


The writer so one sticker. The builder was given one sheet of stickers. On the sheet there were about twenty different stickers each with a snowman doing or wearing something different.

I have seen other such tricky things. Like the writer saw only saw one blue paperclip so they wrote "blue paperclip..." but I saw five blue toothpicks each a different color (something like navy, cobalt, sky, ocean, and royal).

At an Invitational that I went to, there were multiple shades of blue, green, and pink beads on the model, but they told us specifically that shade didn't matter as long as you had the basic color right.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009

User avatar
49ers
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 371
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 7:22 am
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: Myrin' Cryin'
Contact:

Re: Write it Do it

Postby 49ers » July 16th, 2009, 11:50 am

Phenylethylamine wrote:
rockhound wrote:
dudeincolorado wrote:wait so they only had one sheet of paper and one snowman sticker?


The writer so one sticker. The builder was given one sheet of stickers. On the sheet there were about twenty different stickers each with a snowman doing or wearing something different.

I have seen other such tricky things. Like the writer saw only saw one blue paperclip so they wrote "blue paperclip..." but I saw five blue toothpicks each a different color (something like navy, cobalt, sky, ocean, and royal).

At an Invitational that I went to, there were multiple shades of blue, green, and pink beads on the model, but they told us specifically that shade didn't matter as long as you had the basic color right.

does that mean they din't come prepared so they used all the shades???? just asking
East Stroudsburg South and J.T.L Cavs Alumnus
49ersfan
Metsfan
If you need a person to create study materials, I am available. Literally any event.
You are now free to lose the game.
Ursinus Bearcox 2020
Need a rugger? Look no further.
Bio-medical Engineering

User avatar
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1075
Joined: January 8th, 2009, 4:47 pm
Division: Grad
State: MA
Location: Harvard University
Contact:

Re: Write it Do it

Postby Phenylethylamine » July 16th, 2009, 6:14 pm

49ers wrote:
Phenylethylamine wrote:At an Invitational that I went to, there were multiple shades of blue, green, and pink beads on the model, but they told us specifically that shade didn't matter as long as you had the basic color right.

does that mean they din't come prepared so they used all the shades???? just asking

If you mean that the sups didn't have enough of the individual shades to make it specific, then maybe, I'm not sure. Partially I think that was why, but also it was an Invitational, so they didn't want to make it too difficult.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009

User avatar
fmtiger124
Member
Member
Posts: 480
Joined: March 8th, 2009, 3:59 pm
Division: Grad
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Write it Do it

Postby fmtiger124 » July 16th, 2009, 8:17 pm

rockhound wrote:
dudeincolorado wrote:If the writer's instructions are even mediocre there still shouldn't be TOO much confusion with extra pieces,right? I mean when in doubt don't just shove it in and hope for the best right?


Not necessarily. At an invitational in OH they gave us a sheet of stickers with snowmen wearing different clothing and doing differnt things. The writers only saw one sticker so they basically wrote "attach the snowman sticker ...." but they needed to tell you it was the snowman sticker with the red had throwing snowballs. Not the blue hat snowball thrower, the red had skier, or any of the other 20 stickers.

that seems almost unfair.....If you're going to do something that unorthodox i'd at least give the writers some sort of hint.
Image

User avatar
dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 595
Joined: January 31st, 2007, 6:27 pm
Division: C
State: CO
Location: Hope it's somewhere good. :)
Contact:

Re: Write it Do it

Postby dudeincolorado » July 16th, 2009, 9:10 pm

IMHO it's okay. I mean yes it's a curve ball, but really? The writer's job is to describe as best as possible, I and under the assumption that "put the snowman sticker on the paper" is defiantly not the best most writers can do. The writer should have know that something was up when the was only one sticker on one sheet of paper, or at least taken the time... you have 25 minutes for the goodness sake! Yes I might sound mean, it's because I'm in a bad mood. I'm sorry.
SO stressed!


Return to “2009 Lab Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest